Michael Forbes

A forum dedicated to people who
are trying to make a difference.

Michael Forbes

Postby Sabina » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:22 am

I think this story should be known..........

Michael Forbes (born circa 1952) is a farmer, part-time salmon fisherman and quarry worker from near Balmedie in Aberdeenshire, Scotland who became known after his refusal to sell his land to Donald Trump who is planning to build an extensive luxury golf course complex in the area.

Forbes's farm, which is said by Trump to be in a state of disrepair, has the words "NO GOLF COURSE" painted on a shed.

He attracted media attention in the United States for standing up to Trump. Forbes has insisted that he will "never sell" his land to Trump despite being offered a payment £450,000 in addition to a salary of £50,000 per year for an unspecified job. The plans to build the golf complex were rejected in late November 2007 by Aberdeenshire Council but were later called in by the Scottish Government, who gave approval in November 2008. He has been compared to the beachcomber character in the film Local Hero.

The Trump organization is now closing in on Michael's home and have threatened to try to use a compulsory purchase order to forcibly remove him and his family from their land. Trump claimed that Forbes's property was a slum that would spoil the view from his new hotel. Forbes retorted that Trump can "shove his money up his arse." The Tripping Up Trump Campaign have banded together to challenge the Trump organization on this issue.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Michael Forbes

Postby mirjana » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:42 pm

"Never judge anybody by his act, because the real thing is not the act but the consciousness through which that act has been performed." OSHO

There is a hope as long as there are people like Michael Forbes.
In this case both, his act and the consciousness through which he had performed it are admirable. Such action are not only inspiring but motivating too. Thank you for posting it.
[Pd]
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Wolfhoundman » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Hooray! for you Michael. It is far past time to stand up to the likes of Trump and his fellow money mongers, i.e. the Koch brothers. Instead of going into the many atrocities and self-indulgences that our billionaire and millionaire (sorry Donald) brothers have forced upon others, just take a long look at the DSM for a psychiatric explanation of their behavior. Any other person that would display such anti social tendency towards their fellow man would be seriously scrutinized by the Mental Health community.
Wolfhoundman

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Freakanomics
Favorite movie: Mad Max
Things I like: Blues, guitar, Irish Wolfhounds, Harley's, sailing
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 0

Postby Jade » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:24 pm

Here is a story of another man afflicted with Trump, David Milne.

Jun 4 2011

A NEIGHBOUR of Donald Trump's golf course was stunned when the tycoon put a fence around his house - then billed him for it.

David Milne, 46, has been at loggerheads with the billionaire after refusing to sell up to him.

Without warning, Trump's contractors erected the new boundary and planted dozens of trees then sent an invoice for £2820 - half of the total bill.

But David said: "There is no way I'm going to pay it. As far as I'm concerned it's just another attempt to intimidate and bully me.

"But it's not going to work. I'm not paying any attention to it at all."

Trump is building the "best golf course in the world" on the Menie Estate in Balmedie, Aberdeenshire.

The American has permission to create two championship courses, a clubhouse, a hotel and 950 houses.

And he's decided he also needs adjoining land and has applied for planning permission for properties he doesn't own.

This includes David's home at Hermit Point, where the health and safety adviser has lived with wife Moira for almost 20 years.

Trump has been caught on camera branding the house "ugly" but the couple have refused to sell up to him because they don't want to leave their idyllic home.

David said: "I could not believe it when the bill arrived. I priced the materials and I could put up the whole fence on my own for about £800.

"It's made from the cheapest stuff available but that's the kind of standard we've come to expect from Mr Trump and his organisation."

The resort is due to open next summer but David reckons harsh weather has left it behind schedule.

He said: "I think they've underestimated the Scottish weather."

Nobody at the Trump Organisation was available for comment yesterday.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2011/06/04/tycoon-donald-trump-fences-off-home-of-aberdeenshire-man-then-sends-him-bill-86908-23178594/
    "A Jade stone is useless before it is processed;
    a man is good-for-nothing until he is educated."

Chinese proverb
Jade

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 7

Return to Civil Courage