Zeitgeist: Moving Forward

Visual communication and a modern art form.
Movie tips, inspiring animations and associations.

Zeitgeist: Moving Forward

Postby Jade » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:29 am

Zeitgeist 2011: Moving Forward
It has been noted as the largest non-profit independent film release in history. This is a non-commercial work and is available online for free viewing and no restrictions apply to uploading/download/posting/linking - as long as no money is exchanged.

"A Jade stone is useless before it is processed;
    a man is good-for-nothing until he is educated."

Chinese proverb
Jade

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 7

Re: Zeitgeist: Moving Forward

Postby mirjana » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:22 am

Jade, thank you for this movie and putting our attention in that direction. [El]
This is something we all need in order to move from this critical point. It is awakening and motivating. The hardest part though is the one which opens the way to the individual contribution to changes. And this is what the author of this movie himself,Peter Joseph says:
""We have to learn how to identify and break our own indoctrination"As more individuals are able to do this personal awakening and cleansing, the more chance as a humanity we have to change things so that our children and grandchildren can also live in dignity and happy.
And this movie points clearly many possible ways what and how we personaly can change i our life in order to make it possible.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:37 am

The first one and a half hours are very interesting, especially the first half an hour! What follows then in terms of the concrete proposal is well thought through from many aspects, however I am still not sure how I feel about it. It seems like a culture of detachment in one sense, allowing for connectivity in another.

What I disagree with is the idea that this could happen as proposed. Don't get me wrong, if would be wonderful if it did!! I just don't see it happening that way... humans seem so deeply dependent on trivialities and it would seem that the advertising/indoctrination budgets have nicely fulfilled their purpose. Even the young generations are completely brainwashed, and shouldn't they be smarter than their predecessors?
After all, it is even more their world than their parents' or their grandparents'.... yet the desires of most are located around fancy cell phones and Prada bags.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:34 am

I recommend as a very nice continuation of the movie, the interview that
Charlie Robinson had with the Founder of The Zeitgeist Movement and the creator of Zeitgeist The Movie and Zeitgeist Addendum, Peter Joseph. It is very interesting mini doc that say a lot about this brilliant guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIINgQ1TooE&feature=related
I tried to einbetten it but I couldn´t. That´s why onlky you tube link.
Enjoy!
mirjana

Postby Azur » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:05 pm

It is certainly a very inspiring movie and a pretty relevant analysis of today's situation. The solutions proposed are also interesting, but it doesn't give any transition proposals. It would be a lot to ask from a 2h40 movie though. Very interesting work
Azur

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: The Stranger - Albert Camus
Favorite movie: Le salaire de la peur - Henri-Georges Clouzot
Things I like: Travelling, music
State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 4

Postby Ryan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Yeah... I liked the movie... I like most of Zeitgeist's films they are generally packed with information that is not generally known... or aware of the exact affects some events have had upon the world and/or cultures/societies.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby Sabina » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:46 am

Azur wrote:It is certainly a very inspiring movie and a pretty relevant analysis of today's situation. The solutions proposed are also interesting, but it doesn't give any transition proposals. It would be a lot to ask from a 2h40 movie though. Very interesting work

At the end of the movie they propose a change through a revolution... but you are right, that still doesn't explain nor propose a concrete transition.
Optimistically speaking, once we all are on the same page in that regard, coming up with a healthy system should be quite doable.

Not to mention that such an action, on such a large scale, would be unprecedented, and would for all eternity serve as an example of what people can accomplish when they put their minds up to something - together.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:20 pm

Sabina wrote:
Azur wrote:It is certainly a very inspiring movie and a pretty relevant analysis of today's situation. The solutions proposed are also interesting, but it doesn't give any transition proposals. It would be a lot to ask from a 2h40 movie though. Very interesting work

At the end of the movie they propose a change through a revolution... but you are right, that still doesn't explain nor propose a concrete transition.
Optimistically speaking, once we all are on the same page in that regard, coming up with a healthy system should be quite doable.

Not to mention that such an action, on such a large scale, would be unprecedented, and would for all eternity serve as an example of what people can accomplish when they put their minds up to something - together.

Yes, you are both right. It becomes more clear after listening to the interview with the founder of this movement, Peter Joseph. That is why I underline this link where you can listen what are all kinds of obstacles that anybody would meet with such a commitment to contribute to the changes.

And what also becomes more clear after listening to this is how we, each one of us, can contribute to this, like Sabina nicely put :" ...what people can accomplish when they put their minds up to something - together".
mirjana

Postby Rachel » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:17 pm

Thank you for the link, I am about 30 minutes into it.

As far as I can see its common sense - and that women academics are glaringly absent from the 'expert opinions'.

Food for thought, however =0)
Rachel

Favorite book: The Last Battle - C.S.Lewis
Favorite movie: Dogma
Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 3

Postby Azur » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:36 pm

There is however, in my opinion, a major contradiction in these movies. They state that their movement is apolitical as politics is only an instrument of the system. I think that the project is on the contrary ultimately political.

What they mean by politics in this case is the existing political system based on the nation states. Instead they are calling for a worldwide government of experts and technicians, in other words a technocracy, which is a political system! It is some sort of an enlightened dictatorship, because if you don't possess the knowledge you don't have any say in the decision making. That is the very opposite of democracy, or the rule of the people. Please note for now that I'm not judging it as good or bad, but merely acknowledging the facts as I uderstood them.

The catch is that experts as humans very often disagree on a large number of issues. For instance, genetically modified organisms. Experts on both sides are defending the utility or the extreme dangerousity of these technics. In a governement ruled by the experts, who is to decide? The majority of the experts? Majority can be very wrong... So are we prepared to hand over the power to decide on major issues to those who are supposed to possess the knowledge? How and why would we even trust them?

Just wondering...
Azur

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: The Stranger - Albert Camus
Favorite movie: Le salaire de la peur - Henri-Georges Clouzot
Things I like: Travelling, music
State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 4

Next

Return to Movies