Your Favorite Unknown or Little Know Bands

That ancient art form whose medium is sound.
Melody, harmony, rhythm and inspiration.

Re: Your Favorite Unknown or Little Know Bands

Postby tcm2164 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:52 am

Daywhite wrote:
I'm not sure what to say about this song except I can't stop listening to it. I love the play of the two voices singing, and the lyrics are very telling, as well.

Dead Hearts by Stars

Daywhite, What an unusual and interesting song. The child's voice gives it an ethereal quality. I listened to it a few times and that voice just stuck in my head for hours. Thanks for posting it!
tcm2164

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Blood Meridian
Favorite movie: Into the Wild
Things I like: Nature and the outdoors, physical activity, creative people, open-mindedness.
State of Mind or Tendency: Insomnius
Kudos: 7

Postby mirjana » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:41 pm

Tim, I love very much each piece of music you have sent so far. It definitely represents you very well. My impression is that each piece you have sent is music of the heart or soul, which is definitely my preference.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby tcm2164 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:20 am

mirjana wrote:Tim, I love very much each piece of music you have sent so far. It definitely represents you very well. My impression is that each piece you have sent is music of the heart or soul, which is definitely my preference.
Thanks Mirjana. You are absolutely right, each of these songs touched me somehow. Here is another. I find this one soothing in some way. The band is called the Great Lakes Swimmers

tcm2164

Favorite book: Blood Meridian
Favorite movie: Into the Wild
Things I like: Nature and the outdoors, physical activity, creative people, open-mindedness.
State of Mind or Tendency: Insomnius
Kudos: 7

Postby Kalvis » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi everyone, your music posts are very interesting, and i also think that it gives me an idea about who you are, by listenin to the music! :-)
I definitily also just love when i find new music that i just think is incridible, so here are some of the music that i really love. It might not be uknown to some of you, and some of the songs might also belong to the "melancholy music" tread, but i hope you don't mind. These songs have touched me, so one can say that these songs are a bit of my personality. :)

This song is by the famous Marianne Faithfull, but whom I just discovered half a year ago. The video clip is from a french film "La Fille Sur Le Point" translated to "The Girl on the Bridge", and i choose this clip because i think it fits very well with the music.

The next song is a song by a the Danish band "The Rumour Said Fire" whom i also just got to know half a year ago. It is not as quiet as the previous one. I really like their use of overtones in this song.

The next song is by "Arcade Fire". A friend of mine, showed me this video that some guy has made for this song, and i think it fits just perfectly. The video clips are from the famous film, Once Upon a Time in the West.

The next artis "Ane Brun" is a norwegian singer with an incridible voice. I love when I find an artist whose songs I love all. This is just one of ther amazing songs:

Now to the band that means most to me. It is definitily my favorite. The Danish band name is "Under byen" Which means "Below the City". The lyrics are on Danish, but it doesn't mater for people who don't understand Danish, because her voice is so incridible, and the music is enchanting. The lyrics are deeply poetic though. All their songs makes me nostalgic, and i think that is one of the most powerfull feelings a peace of music can give one. The band was introduced to me 4 years ago when i was only 15, by my ex-girlfriend, whom i still love deeply.
It's hard for my to choose a song to put up here because all of the have different meanings to me. It's also a shame that most of the songs aren't even on Youtube, for you to listen to them. :-)

This song is called "Det er mig der holder træerne sammen" which means "it's me who keeps the trees together" The video is made by some random dude on youtube.

Now to some magical. This Danish band is called "Efterklang" which is also a very experimenting band. Their live perfomances are just incredible , and their music videoes are also fascinating. You might want to serach for the song "Mirador" on youtube. This video is a bit creepy but still beautiful:

This artist is Joanna Newsom and has become quite famous, so you might know her. I would still like to share her fantastic childish but truly beautiful voice merged with her just as beautiful harp playing.

The artist "Lhasa de Sela is a great singer i also just discovered recently since i got to know about her death half a year ago. May she rest in peace. Enjoy the song:

Theres many songs that i would have loved to share with you also, but I'll end this reply now whith a singer that I'm sure we all know. Nina Simone. A very interesting person who might seemed tough on the outside, but had a lot of feelings going on inside of her, which i think is something many people recognizes. Her performances are so complete and she really enchants her audience.

Thats It. I hope you enjoyed it as much as i do. Music really gives value to my life. The songs that i've put on here are the more quiet ones, but I'm in fact pretty much open to almos every genre. There are different genres for different situations in life.

I'm looking forward to be learning about new artist. :)
Kalvis

State of Mind or Tendency: Stressed
Kudos: 2

Postby Sabina » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Louis, wow!
What an introductory music post!

I liked all of it very much, loved Ane Brun's song!
I knew the opening and the closing songs, the others were all knew to me. :)

You selection reminded me also of the Norwegian band Madrugada. I am not sure if I already posted their songs anywhere, and you may know them, but many probably don't.

This is from their "The Nightly Disease" album.

The Frontman

Step Into This Room And Dance For Me

"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Daywhite » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:50 pm

I thought it time to add a little class to the DS joint. Shall we walk?

"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby Kalvis » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Thank you very much Sabina for your lovely excitement, it really makes me happy that you enjoyed it, and that i could share it with you! :-)

I didn't know Madrugada, but i like it, especially "step into this room and dance for me". It's quite funny also!

Before i go to bed now, I would like to share another song by the icelandic woman with the beautiful name an voice: Emilíana Torinni. She has made this song "Gollum's song" for my favorite trilogy Lord of The Rings. It's a bit gloomy and sad, so it fits Gollum quite well. ;) She has also made her own cd's, some of them are a bit more happier than one another which can be a good change sometimes! ;)

Kalvis

State of Mind or Tendency: Stressed
Kudos: 2

Postby mirjana » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Kalvis,

Great selection of music. [El] Except Marianne Faithfull and Nina Simone, others were new to me and I enjoyed very much all of them. I like very much Danish band "The Rumour Said Fire" and all your video comments.
Sabina,
Thank you for bringing Madrugada again to my attention. I love their music and enjoy very much the moment to hear them again.
mirjana

Postby Daywhite » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:00 pm

Great add, Kalvis. I'm a big fan of Emiliana's. Figured I would add a couple of my favorites by her. Thanks for bringing her into this.

A cover of a great song. This may be the best version, in my opinion. Another sad song, but all who know me know I'm not much of a happy song kinda guy, anyway. Beautiful song.

One more; this may be my favorite song by her.

Wrote you this
I hope you got it safe
It's been so long
I don't know what to say
I've travelled 'round
Through deserts on my horse
But jokes aside
I wanna come back home

You know that night
I said i had to go
You said you'd meet me
On the sunny road

It's time, meet me on the sunny road
it's time, meet me on the sunny road

I never married
Never had those kids
I loved too many
Now heaven's closed its gates.
I know I'm bad
To jump on you like this
Some things don't change
My middle name's still 'Risk'

I know that night
So long long time ago
Will you still meet me
On the sunny road

Well, this is it
I'm running out of space
Here is my address
And number just in case.
This time as one
We'll find which way to go
Now come and meet me
On the sunny road
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby mirjana » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:12 pm

Daywhite,
When you brought the first time Emiliana and this beautiful cover for the song in the topic about the covers for the song If you go away, I heard it the first time and enjoyed it very much.
As about you and sad songs, I think that now we also know you so well so that sad or nostalgic song is not a surprise, more an excitement-what comes this time. I love the music you brought to DS.
mirjana

PreviousNext

Return to Music