Your Favorite Letter

Not just for linguists and logophiles (word lovers)
The exploring, discovering and discussing of words, language & communication from different perspectives.

Your Favorite Letter

Postby Sabina » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:26 pm

Here's a typical "Christopher question"...
What's your favorite letter, and why?

I am going to reply as well, but not just yet, because the last time someone asked that question, another person said "Same as Sabina", and as to why they like the letter they said "I like her explanation".
I am not saying anyone here would answer like that, but better safe than sorry! 80S
So, what's yours and why?
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Your Favorite Letter

Postby Daywhite » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:54 pm

C -- Because I always loved oranges as a kid, and oranges are full of vitamin C. Used to like the letter L because of how I would write it (I liked the way I would curl the vertical line to swoop into the horizontal), but, over time, my hand writing has gotten almost indecipherable; even cursive Ls don't look so cool. So, guess I'll stick with C.
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby mirjana » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:59 pm

[M]
My favourite letter is M.
I like many words that begin with this letter, like mother, music, melody, and magician.
The history of this letter is also interesting as it has its origin in Egyptian hieroglyph for “owl.”, which is also a beautiful symbol for wisdom.
It is a stable letter that has a beautiful symmetry and I like to play writing it.
As both, my name and my birth family name begin with this letter I had enough time to enjoy its melody and to become familiar with the beauty of its vibration.
Not strange that this letter is a final in the eternal sound of OM.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Alexander » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:10 pm

"Omega"

I like its shape which is reminiscent of the symbol of infinity. Even though the letter is used to construct most of the verbs in greek, only a few words begin with this letter therefore its capital letter form is rarely seen or written. It is also the last letter on the greek alphabet. Along with A, the first letter on the greek alphabet, A and Ω (alpha and omega) is a spiritual symbolism of the absolute and eternal nature of God.

Love,
Alexander
"The high mission of any art is, by its illusions, to foreshadow a higher universe reality, to crystallize the emotions of time into the thought of eternity."
Alexander

State of Mind or Tendency: Adventurous - male
Kudos: 2

Postby Ryan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:46 pm

Sometimes it seems "S" serves to simply satisfy some selfish standpoint.
[Pd]
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby Sabina » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks for reminding me of this topic Ryan... as I haven't yet answered my own question.
By the way, does your answer mean that "S" is your favorite letter? If yes, then why is it your favorite?

As for me, it is the S.

S is composed of two spirals. The spiral is one of my favorite symbols, and one that I feel particularly drawn to.
S-spiral.png
S-spiral.png (8 KiB) Viewed 12196 times

It is a symbol for eternity, for creation, and a journey into self. There is also undoubtedly a lot of mystery attached to that symbol.

Many great words and things begin with "S"... Saffron, Salt, sage, shaman, scepter, scroll, sense, Sari, scarf, sensuality, sex, sun, summer, sand, sea, shore, sanctuary, Saturday and Sunday,... and spiral.

The S is very soft, round, curved and therefore a very feminine letter. In my opinion it is the most feminine letter of all.

Last but not least...
It is the initial of my first name and the base of my personal symbol and signature.
=0)
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby alejandrocerv » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:16 am

I love Om. It's technically a "character" or "symbol", but I think it's close enough. The sound that called out to the Buddha is a sound of openness and closure, of possibility and a conclusion. You travel your own path and arrive in the same place. You travel in a spiral, toward your center, my center, their center, the center of consciousness and unconsciousness.

Zen Buddhist, mostly vegetarian, soon-to-be avid hiker.
alejandrocerv

Favorite book: Siddhartha - Herman Hesse
Favorite movie: Capitalism A Love Story
Things I like: I love music more than any other worldly thing. It is how I connect with God.
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 2

Postby sound » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:22 pm

My favourite letter is J just because lol ...
Not sure why really ...I haven't checked out its history .. both my children names start with J so it is a letter which has appealed to me for well over 28 yrs lol
Some J words which resonate are ...

Joy /Justice / Jubilant / Jumbunna (talking together)/ Jokes / Jesus

just to name a few ...
Love is the creative force of all that is ...
It is, in essence, the emotional energy of life ...
sound

Favorite book: A piece of string
Favorite movie: Dont have one
Things I like: Living Life
State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 1

Return to Words & Language