Wow...

By Agate

Wow...

Postby Agate » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:47 am

I've been attending a book-study class at my church these past 6 weeks, and each study was preceded by a potluck. This has been an adventure, as I never knew for sure if there would be anything I could eat. Naturally, I brought something each night...but half the joy of a potluck is trying out everyone else's specialties.

I didn't make a big deal of it, but it was pretty rough the one week all I could have was salad.

That week, my contribution was a cucumber-pea salad. And one of the other ladies brought an amazing mix of greens, strawberries, pecans, and feta. She noticed me devouring her salad, and offered to send the last little bit home with me. I willingly accepted, and explained that as a vegetarian her dish and mine were the only two I could touch that night.

Since then, this lady has brought an amazing salad to each meeting. And she has insisted on sending some home with me.

The topper came tonight. It was our last class, and as we were all setting out our dishes, this gal laid out the now-familiar serving dish full of greens. Beside it she set smaller bowls of cheese and chicken. I must have lit up like a candle, and I thanked her for not mixing the chicken in beforehand.

"Well," she said, "I know you don't eat meat, so I wanted to be sure you could have some." I wanted to hug her.

After class, she appeared with plastic containers and insisted I take the remains of the salad home, even suggesting I take some of the cheese "if you can have it."

I learned a lot about our book in this class...but I learned even more from the kindness of this one lady, and her easy generosity.
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Return to Full of Beans