Worries about Weight Gain

By Mirjana

Worries about Weight Gain

Postby mirjana » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:23 pm

If you have worries about weight gain or you would like to keep it as it is, there is a simple strategy for enjoying your meals and avoiding weight gain.

Healthy eating tips:

1. Be aware of what you eat. To help prevent overindulging that can come with it (the stomachache, bloating and other gastrointestinal discomfort)-, be mindful while eating. What does it mean? During eating chew slowly minimum 30 times each bite. This simple technique brings miracles. You will be by yourself during eating, you will need less rather than more and you will be able to stop when you are feeling full.
2. Choose fiber-rich fruits and vegetables and avoid high-calorie food and dishes high in saturated fat and sodium.
3. Eat regular meals. Don't starve yourself all day in order to eat more at dinner. Eating a satisfying breakfast can ward off the temptation to overindulge later in the day and breakfast is the most important meal.
4. Choose foods that you really love to eat and eat slowly enjoying your ritual of eating. It will help you to be mindful of all the flavors and aromas. Eating slowly not only allows you to enjoy and be give thanks for your food, but helps prevent overeating: it takes 20 minutes for the stomach to signal the brain that you're full. Therefore the advice given about chewing is so important.
5. Get up from the table when you're done in order to avoid eventual temptation to eat automatically.
6. Take a walk after finishing your meal. It will help to digest your food.

=0)
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Healthy Snacks

Postby mirjana » Tue May 17, 2011 10:22 am

These snack ideas are healthful and delicious - and will be helpful on your way to moderate your weight, if that is your chosen goal:

I take seasonal fruit with yogurt and freshly ground flaxseed. Of course that it is recommended to choose good-quality fruit and yogurt.

You can also fresh vegetables with yogurt adding fresh herbs for more flavor, giving to this snack personal touch of your mood and personal taste and creativity.

There is a variety of whole-grain crackers on the market so that you can choose one that suits your taste the best and eat it with a small piece of cheese (some smoked salmon for those who only do not eat meat, but eat fish).

A small handful of lightly roasted nuts http://www.deepspirits.com/exploration/walnuts-all-natural-antioxidant-t924.html

Toast a whole wheat pita and hummus. Instead it can be a piece of whole wheat bread too.This is very simple and delicious.

What I also take occasionally is a hardboiled egg sprinkled with smoked paprika. For a new twist you can replace the yolk with hummus or chopped smoked salmon, for those who eat fish.
mirjana

Re: Worries about Weight Gain

Postby Rachel » Fri May 20, 2011 4:35 pm

yum :)

I love yoghurt with a couple of teaspoons psyllium husks - great for boosting fibre intake. When consuming extra fibre, especially psyllium, it is essential to increase water intake aswell.
Rachel

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: The Last Battle - C.S.Lewis
Favorite movie: Dogma
Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 3

Postby mirjana » Sun May 22, 2011 10:11 am

Hi Chessa,

There are information that psyllium, among other water-soluble gums, causes esophageal obstruction (Esophageal food bolus obstruction), choking, and asphyxiation.
This is the one of the FDA reports:

"Esophageal obstruction and asphyxiation due to orally-administered drug products containing water-soluble gums, hydrophilic gums, and hydrophilic mucilloids as active ingredients are significant health risks when these products are taken without adequate fluid or when they are used by individuals with esophageal narrowing or dysfunction, or with difficulty in swallowing."

You have also underlined the importance of water when taking this product. It is good to know that taking this product without adequate fluid may cause swelling and blocking of throat or esophagus which can further cause choking. It is generally recommended not to take this product if one has difficulty in swallowing. What I have also read is the recommendation to seek immediate medical attention if experiencing chest pain, vomiting, or difficulty in swallowing or breathing after taking this product.
mirjana

Postby Rachel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:09 pm

Thanks for those cautionary notes, Mirjana. I really should have included them.

It's best if one grinds them really fine using a spice or coffee grinder - and to have only a teaspoon at a time.
Rachel

Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.

Postby Rachel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:20 pm

And just a question: Am I allowed to be posting in here? As I've only recently learned about the member led blogs - I understand this one is yours, mirjana? Can I still post replies to your thoughts, or would you prefer not to have others posting here?
Rachel

Return to Somewhere in Between