World Peace - Global Peace Index

What should the ideal community or society be like?
Thoughts and ideas on making the utopian idea reality.

World Peace - Global Peace Index

Postby Sabina » Tue May 31, 2011 4:57 pm

World Peace is an ideal of freedom, peace, and happiness among and within all nations and/or people. World peace is an idea of planetary non-violence by which nations willingly cooperate, either voluntarily or by virtue of a system of governance that prevents warfare.

The Global Peace Index (GPI) is an attempt to measure the relative position of nations' and regions' peacefulness. The list was first launched in May 2007 and has continued since then. It is claimed to be the first study to rank countries around the world according to their peacefulness.

It currently ranks 153 countries, and here are the top 10 nations (according to the 2011 GPI):

Image Iceland
    Image New Zealand
    Image Japan
    Image Denmark
    Image Czech Republic
    Image Austria
    Image Luxembourg
    Image Finland
    Image Canada
    Image Norway
    Image Slovenia
PS: Austria and Luxembourg share the 6th place.

The main findings of the Global Peace Index are:
✦ Peace correlated to indicators such as income, schooling and the level of regional integration.
✦ Peaceful countries often shared high levels of transparency of government and low corruption.

Statistical analysis was applied to discover more specific drivers of peace. Specifically, the research team looked for indicators that were included and excluded from the index that had high levels of correlation with the overall score and rank of countries. Among the statistically significant indicators that were not used in the analysis were the functionality of a country's government, regional integration, hostility to foreigners, importance of religion in national life, corruption, freedom of the media and GDP per capita.
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: World Peace - Global Peace Index

Postby alejandrocerv » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:41 pm

I'd like to see a study of these countries and their GDH - Gross Domestic Happiness. I forget which country it is (maybe Sri Lanka), but they don't even measure GDP. They view it as unnecessary. I completely understand where they're coming from. I also wonder where these countries rank on that freedom thing, where Taiwan is listed as the most free country in the world. Where does Costa Rica stand on the GPI? They have no military!
Zen Buddhist, mostly vegetarian, soon-to-be avid hiker.
alejandrocerv

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Siddhartha - Herman Hesse
Favorite movie: Capitalism A Love Story
Things I like: I love music more than any other worldly thing. It is how I connect with God.
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 2

Return to Utopia