Page 1 of 2

Word of the Day

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:58 pm
by Sabina
[size=150]apostasy[/size] /əˈpɒstəsi/ [uh-pos-tuh-see]
–noun, plural -sies.
a total desertion of or departure from one's religion, principles, party, cause, etc.

[size=85]Origin
1350–1400; ME apostasye (< AF) < LL apostasia < Gk: a standing away, withdrawing, equiv. to apóstas(is) (apo- apo- + sta- stand + -sis -sis ) + -ia -ia [/size]

Re: Word of the Day

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:30 pm
by Daywhite
Sabsung [SOB-soong] is a Thai word, the literal definition being, “to slake an emotional or spiritual thirst; to be revitalized.” Point being, it’s all about a personal revitalization. When life becomes a desert, sabsung is what you, personally, need to come back to life; it’s your ladle of water, your quiet time, a beer and the game, a bubble bath, whatever it takes for you to keep going after a hard day. It’s like the effect some people can have on you. They make you happy to be alive, reawaken you to the fact that you are actually alive. That’s sabsung.

This, for me, is not simply a word of the day, but one of my all-time favorite words.

frabjous

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:07 pm
by Sabina
[size=170]frabjous[/size] [color=#949494][frab-juhs][/color]
–adjective [color=#949494]Informal[/color]
wonderful, elegant, superb, or delicious.

[color=#385500]Origin of frabjous
1872; coined by Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking-Glass; perhaps meant to suggest fabulous or joyous[/color]

[size=120][color=#65192c]What a frabjous word![/color][/size]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:38 pm
by Alexander
What a coincidence! I stumbled upon a website the other day with images of a sculpture named Frabjous. I liked the way it look and I bookmarked the page. The creator also has directions of how to make your own Frabjous, but I think it's a bit too complicated for me...

At first, I thought that Frabjous didn't really mean anything, but now I know better! Thanks, Sabina!

=0)

[url=http://www.georgehart.com/sculpture/frabjous.html]Frabjous[/url]

Love,
Alexander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:09 pm
by Jade
tenebrific is an adjective that means producing darkness; dark and gloomy.

I think efface is also a nice word and compatible with tenebrific.

efface
1. To cause to disappear by rubbing out, striking out, etc.; to erase; to render illegible or indiscernible.
2. To destroy, as a mental impression; to wipe out; to eliminate completely.
3. To make (oneself) inconspicuous.

"Death, so omnipresent in the past that it was familiar, would be effaced , would disappear."
[size=85]-- Philippe Aries, Western Attitudes Toward Death from the Middle Ages to the Present[/size]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:26 pm
by mirjana
Jade, I like how you presented us a quote with the use of the word 'efface' word. Nice way to remember...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:29 am
by Alexander
[size=120][color=#400000][url=http://www.box.net/shared/uevbq11hth]Χαρμολύπη[/url][/color][/size]

A greek word which can be translated as "sweet" or "joyful sorrow". It is often used in religious contexts especially to describe the emotional state of Christians during the Holy Week, that of joyful bearevement.

__5__
[size=120]
[color=#00274c]
[url=http://www.box.net/shared/pdycvylm2a]Νοσταλγία[/url]
[/color][/size]

Another word of Greek origin. The word consists of two different words: νόστος which means return and άλγος which means pain. The word literally translates as the pain caused by the unfullfiled desire of going back, either in time or space.

I thought of posting those two words together because to me they both describe emotional states of a very similar nature. I also recorded their pronounciation (I am too lazy to write it using the phonetic alphabet).

Love,
Alexander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:55 pm
by SLAM2DARK
[size=150]Agreeable[/size]
Definition of AGREEABLE

1: pleasing to the mind or senses especially as according well with one's tastes or needs <an agreeable companion> <an agreeable change>
2: ready or willing to agree or consent
3: being in harmony : consonant

It's an easy word but today I started using it very often :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:08 am
by mirjana
Hi SLAM2DARK

I agree with you that the word agreeable is very agreeable word.
Welcome to DS =0)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:47 pm
by Jade
[color=#9f1313]rubicund[/color]
1. Inclining to redness; ruddy; red.

"The men are second cousins, around forty, resembling each other not very much, one taller and leaner, less [color=#9f1313]rubicund[/color] than the other, who has just returned from California."
[size=85]-- John Lukacs, A Thread of Years[/size]