Witnessing a Historical Event

Exercise your mind through 'what if' scenarios, moral
dilemmas, brain teasers & other playful ways.

Witnessing a Historical Event

Postby Sabina » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Imagine that you can personally witness any event in history.. to then safely return home to your present time and place.

Which event would you choose and why?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Witnessing a Historical Event

Postby Ryan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:39 pm

I would choose to witness the landing on the Moon because I always wanted to be an astronaut as a kid and what could be better than to actually set foot on a distant celestial sphere?
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:52 pm

I would choose to be a student in Pythagoras school in Croton learning about Music of spheres, his numerology from the first hand, his philosophy and mysticism.
After turning back I would spread this knowledge, which would be beautiful way to contribute to increasing of human consciousness.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Daywhite » Tue May 04, 2010 6:52 pm

There are many incredible things throughout history I'm sure would be wonderful to be present for. I could choose to witness the trial of Socrates, or simply witness Socrates questioning and debating students and friends. I could visit Sequoyah as he tried to work out his syllabary, watching in total wonderment at the man, his accomplishments and the hurdles he overcame.

But, although perhaps not quite what you meant by the question, if given a chance to go back and witness some event in the past, I would return to maybe early summer of 1970. My grandmother died in August of that year, and if given any kind of chance, I would give anything to see her again. We were oh so close, and she will likely be my all-time favorite person until I die.

"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby mirjana » Tue May 04, 2010 7:59 pm

Daywhite,

I love you for these words.
I cannot remeber last time I have heard something so pure and beautiful. It shows that your grandmother belonged to beutiful people and certainly that her beauty contributed to yours.
<3
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby kai » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:59 am

This might appear as odd, but it would be to return to Japan in the 1800's to watch Honinbou Shusaku play Go. For those who don't know Go is an ancient game that has existed longer than chess and is far more complex to master, but far easier to learn to play. While game board size can vary, Go is traditionally played on a 19x19 square board with white and black stones being placed upon intersections.

Honinbou Shusaku is arguably the greatest Go player to ever have lived and helped to make the sport what it is today: one of the most popular games on the planet, surpassing (american) football, basketball, chess, shogi (a japanese variant of chess), baseball and several others. I've taken the time to learn to play Go (took me about 5 minutes to learn all the rules). And have played several games against both computers and people. Suffice to say, the game for myself is awe inspiring and wonderfully addictive and fun to play. For me having the honor to watch Honinbou Shusaku play a game of Go would be the highlight of my life so far.

For those interested this is what a typical game of Go looks like while a game is in progress:

Like I said, the game is easy to learn, but unbelievably hard to master. Every single game I have learned something new. And at certain times I have gone into such a massive spree of playing Go that I will find myself playing games of Go in my head...how I am able to keep track of these things I still do not know. One day I hope to be good enough at Go that I can replay an entire game step by step from memory alone (as complex as the game seems most experienced Go players can replay a game move for move from memory without error, even if they didn't play the game).
Life, is a point of view.
Go forth and see the world with eyes unclouded by hate.
kai

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 0

Postby dermot » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:13 pm

I think the Summer of Love in '67 must have been cool!

Its always fascinated me, the whole idealist thing, free love, power to the people, peace love and understanding.

What would the Man do about it now if it were to happen, simply it couldnt....
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Kudos: 52

Postby peaceandlovegirl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:03 am

I think I would probably go to Woodstock. The Greatest music festival that has ever happened or will ever happen. It was a time of Peace and Love. Even the cops that were there were so nice. There was no violence of any sort. Have you ever in your life heard of any other event that had over half a million people without any sort of violent occurrence whatsoever??? They tried to recreate Woodstock but it can never happen again :( It is one of my dreams to meet someone who went to Woodstock.
I should have been born in 1950 not 1997. dermot I tooooootally agree. I love almost everything about the 60s. Peace, Love, The Beatles, drugs, music, art. My generation is apathetic and somewhat lazy. So to makes a simple answer way more complicated than it needs to be, I would go back and either experience all of the 60s or Woodstock =0@
peaceandlovegirl

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: The Scarlet Letter
Favorite movie: V for Vendetta
Things I like: Studying other beliefs and religions from my own, listening to classic rock, having conversations with people, discussing religion and politics.
I love watching really good movies like Fight Club, Across The Universe, No Country For Old Men, Taxi Driver, V For Vendetta and Let the Right One In.
I'm an artist, a pacifist, a patriotic American, an anarchist, a hippie and a christian.
I am obsessed with The Beatles.
State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 0

Postby Jade » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:16 am

Nice topic.
So dermot and peaceandlovegirl would be hippies. Tempting idea, but my choice would be to witness the beginning of the universe (if there ever was a beginning).
B0)
    "A Jade stone is useless before it is processed;
    a man is good-for-nothing until he is educated."

Chinese proverb
Jade

Kudos: 7

Postby dermot » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi Jade, to witness the beginning......you would have to be there before it?

Methinks the hippie generation got as close to the beginning as anyone is ever likely to again, they seemed to go back in time and lose all the layers that so inhibit the rest of us daily. They almost recreated the 'garden of eden' thingy....or maybe they created it for the first time????

I cant think of any era / happening that so encapsulated what it 'was' like to be 'free'.

d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Kudos: 52

Next

Return to Imagination Exercises