Why Your State Of Mind?

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Why Your State Of Mind?

Postby ThePermster » Thu May 27, 2010 1:00 pm

So I'm new here, and already I've noticed this nifty lil thing at the top which lets me change my current mood display and consequently changes a little representative symbol at the side of each of my posts. Neato.

Thing is, I look through the list of options and I see many to choose from but I simply cannot decide on any one of them, and it's not because the range is limited in any way, there's loads! To me; my emotions throughout the day are so fleeting and transient that I couldn't possibly surmise myself as anything more than a general average neutrality.
Granted I might stub my toe on a chair and "aggressive" or "angry" might apply but mere moments later and I'm reading something funny on the internet and again my current mood is sent into a self-contradicting flux. And I couldn't possibly update it with every single twist and turn of my internal state.

So I'm wondering, just out of interest, what are the reasons under which the other members here decide to change their status? Is it simply your mood at the exact point of entry to the website? Or perhaps something else?
ThePermster

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Re: Why Your State Of Mind?

Postby Sabina » Thu May 27, 2010 7:27 pm

If I am online when something happens that makes me angry or aggressive, then I would change my mood accordingly.
If it's short lasting and and my mood changes to something else, then I would update the status.
If my mood is shifting each few minutes, then I'd probably select "moody" as the option...

Most of the times the current mood reflects my current mindset, and while that may at times be my own version of "neutral", I generally make an attempt to be more specific and reflect it more precisely.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Ryan » Fri May 28, 2010 2:24 pm

Myself, I still find the list lacking at times. However, I enjoy the process it invokes if I try to use it as it is proposed... because, for the most part, I can always find that general response to that general question "how are you?"... ..."Oh, I'm fine!" Yet this causes me to dig deeper and define how I feel while understanding what is affecting me a certain way and why... it actually helps me assess my environment and fine tune those outer influences...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby Sabina » Fri May 28, 2010 9:49 pm

There is something else I thought I should add...
For me, neutral means flat, kind of dry. Neutralized, neutered,...
So while it displays a nice scale as the visual representation, which is meant to associate a balanced state, the balanced me is never neutral.
So, by deduction, if that is set as my mood, I am calm and collected, but don't really feel great.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby dermot » Fri May 28, 2010 10:27 pm

Neutral to me would be when nothing stirs my soul....good or bad.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Return to Spirited Debate