What you resist persists

Not just for linguists and logophiles (word lovers)
The exploring, discovering and discussing of words, language & communication from different perspectives.

What you resist persists

Postby Sabina » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:52 pm

"What you resist persists"

This quote is attributed to Carl Jung, though there is no definite source. Today it is mainly used in reference to the law of attraction. What you fight you get more off, so don't fight poverty, instead create wealth. That's the basic idea and the concept makes perfect sense. Perfect.
But, let's dig a little deeper.

Examples of a negative usage, so what should not be done are phrases such as "war on terrorism", "war on drugs", "war on poverty", and "war on cancer".
Let's look at the origins of these phrases.

The War on Cancer
In 1971, U.S. President Richard Nixon offered the phrase "War on Cancer" in 1971 to highlight the passage of the National Cancer Act, which attempted to unify efforts to treat and eventually eliminate cancer.

The War on Drugs
The "War on Drugs" is a term used by many politicians, notably U.S. Presidents Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan, to describe funding for anti-drug efforts, both in terms of law enforcement and social programs. The War on Drugs helped justify actual wars such as Operation Just Cause, the U.S. invasion of Panama in 1989. In the U.S. federal government, the leader of this effort is often referred to as the Drug Czar.

The War on Poverty
United States President Lyndon B. Johnson invoked the phrase "The War on Poverty" during his State of the Union address on January 8, 1964.

The War on Terrorism
The phrase "War on Terrorism" (or "War on Terror") was invoked by US President George W. Bush in the wake of the September 11, 2001 attacks against the United States. It describes a large array of military and law enforcement programs involving at least two actual wars (the current war in Afghanistan and the Iraq War) and the USA PATRIOT Act's increase of police and federal powers against people suspected of terrorist involvement.

They were all introduced by presidents of the United States.

Currently the United States is taking over the world and planting military bases and troops wherever they can. While doing that, many spiritual people residing there are advocates of non-resistance and focusing on the positive side of things.

So... if people in other parts of the world get upset about what the US government and military is doing, then the US residents reply "What you resist persists, so don't resist".
The next thing that comes to mind are the Borg from the Star Trek series. Their slogan was...
"Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated"

Hello? Anyone out there?
Am I the only one seeing this?

I am not saying that Americans are bad... really... I married one! Ok?
So, that's not the point of this... what I am trying to do is point out that something is out of balance here. People are being brain-washed with spirituality in order to turn a blind eye to atrocities! Please... please.... please.... don't be blind.... please....

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: What you resist persists

Postby dermot » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Oh, this is a wide topic, lots of buttons will be pressed with this one.
My first thought is that Spirituality is not an excuse.
Its a chosen mindset, a way of living. By definition its entirely active. If you allow what you consider to be wrong to prosper, without challenging its necessity or validity, then you make it part of your world, part of you.

I was'nt aware that spiritual people were using this non resistance line to facilitate their own lazy morality, but it seems wrong to me.

'All it takes for evil to prosper, is for good men to say nothing'

D.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Postby mirjana » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:12 pm

This is great answer Dermot and I gave you Kudos for it. When I did it I realized that Sabina did the same, what under the circumstances is not quite the best timing, although it happened almost the same time.
Because of that I have a need to explain more my reasons for this Kudos.
Being Life coach I work with people so that they can easier find their answers to some , for them important life question. It would be not possible to work such kind of work and not to know this law - what we resist, persists. The whole line of techniques that are helpful in that direction is based on that principle and I know it works like that from my experience. But, it is like that when a person works with Her/himself in order to solve some personal issues for which the solution is not to hide behind anything, but to confront problems in order to solve them. So, it is an active, not passive approach and this is very important to be clear. But, what unfortunately often happens is that people take some quote they like and start using it for everything possible without knowing the primary reason the quote was made for or what is the true connotation of the quote which is clear only when put into the meaning its creator gave it.
Opening this topic by Sabina and synergizing it with your answer put very important light on understanding of that principle. That is what I like.
For that I gave you my Kudos, regardless of the reasons other could have to do the same.

Mirjana
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Ryan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:45 pm

Not much further to go!!

Whew!! The U.S. must be very persistent on not spreading the military to all parts of the world!!

Here's a list of where the U.S.'s unified energies are going...

I am not sure what the difference between defense and protection is... but there it is. Without the "protection" budget, the budget for defense is almost 6 times the amount for education... WoW!! The U.S. must be under serious attack!! I swear, the media coverage of the U.S. being under siege has been pitiful, and my Mom and Sister have said nothing about the attacks. Such troopers... even in the face of such traumatic times not a word of complaining or despair.

Did you know that the U.S. spends more on military than any other country in the world? Second Place is Russia, and even though Russia is in 2nd place it would take the top 25 countries (not including the U.S.) to equal the amount the U.S. spends on their military? And they are in need of such a defense budget from who? Themselves?
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:27 pm

This kind of critical approach belongs to Civil Courage.
Knowledge changes things. Knowledge and personal example.
Kudos for this. [El]

Mirjana
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Randall » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:49 pm

I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there.

Mother Teresa - War - Peace

It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start
Mother Teresa - Challenges - Love - Philanthropy - Family
Please choose the way of peace.. In the short term there may be winners and losers in this war that we all dread. But that never can, nor never will justify the suffering, pain and loss of life your weapons will cause
Mother Teresa - War - Peace - Losing - Winning - Death

You kind of make my point in a way... all those wars.... how much good have they done mankind? War= resist= persistance... we still war and war and war..

Fear begets more fear...
Anger begets more anger...
Hate begets more hate...
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 17

Postby Ryan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:13 pm

I know that in Vietnam an underdeveloped country held the most powerful country at bay and caused them to retreat along with the huge support from their own people back home.

I don't see how that supports anything you have been saying... but to the contrary... if you don't like something you concentrate on changing it otherwise it won't. Things don't change because you ignore them. Things change because you concentrate on turning them into something better.
Ryan

Postby Sabina » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:16 pm

...all those wars.... how much good have they done mankind? War= resist= persistance... we still war and war and war..

If you look at history it is filled with examples of people who stood up for something they believed in and against something that bothered them.
They weren't so concerned with labels, whether it was anti-war or pro-peace, they fought for what they believed in, and won.
2. World War, for instance. Hitler and Germany attacked... other countries fought against him. Many people died... in the end they won, Germany lost.

The US is occupying the world at the moment, step by step, and they are being smart about it too... and the people back in the States are obviously letting them, because they don't want to go on anti-war rallies. They would rather go on peace rallies.
Why does nobody organize these peace rallies then?
=0X
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Randall » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:23 pm

Things change because you concentrate on turning them into something better.

and this is my point... I am changing anger with in myself... changing fear with in myself... changing hate with in myself....distrust... etc etc

Before I can change anything, REALY change it, I have to live it.

You cant have peace through war...

You cant have understanding through beligerance...

You cant have love through hate...

Anything short of this action with in myself isnt an answer, its a bandaid. Nothing is healed or made well.
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 17

Postby Ryan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:30 pm

Randall, your approach sounds a bit hypothetical to me.

I can give you probably hundreds of historical examples of things that were changed through resistance. Can you give me 50 that support your approach?
Ryan

Next

Return to Words & Language