What we do shows who we are

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: What we do shows who we are

Postby Ryan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:30 pm

Ok...

A person's actions can not be considered as a factual representation of the person, only the motivation behind the action can be taken as the factual representation of the person... but no one can know that, beyond a doubt, except the person doing the action.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:43 pm

Ryan wrote:Ok...

A person's actions can not be considered as a factual representation of the person, only the motivation behind the action can be taken as the factual representation of the person... but no one can know that, beyond a doubt, except the person doing the action.

OK...
As you say that no one can know except the person doing the action, how you personally consider a factual representation of a person?
What is that you can label a person be an authentic in the sense that person´s doing is in accordance with that what the person really is?
Or, when the person tells about the motivation(and as said the person is the only one who knows that), what makes you to believe that or not?

Mirjana
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Ryan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:07 pm

My reply is that it doesn't matter what I think... If your reason for doing something is to get my approval then your motivation is misplaced. You should be doing things based upon what you think about it, not assuming what I might think about it.

I don't label people authentic in the sense of what they do. I only commend or condemn the action itself. I don't label the person based upon their actions. I can give them a label (as in the Good people and bad people post) in order to simplify a matter that was clarified earlier but as a rule I try not to label anyone as a label is a form of limitation.

As for when someone is telling about their motivation... it would depend on why they are telling me about their motivation...they are trying to point out how great they are, they need external justification for their action, I ask for clarification... or whatever...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:55 am

"Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed. Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well."
Mahatma Gandhi

“Whenever you are confronted with an opponent. Conquer him with love.”
Mahatma Gandhi

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
Mahatma Gandhi
mirjana

Postby Sabina » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:20 pm

Since this is not one of those topics we have with just quotes, I don't understand what you were trying to say by posting 3 quotes by Gandhi without any additional comment?

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:59 pm

Sabina wrote:Since this is not one of those topics we have with just quotes, I don't understand what you were trying to say by posting 3 quotes by Gandhi without any additional comment?

Sabina

Good question, Sabina. I missed to write this what I shall do now.
I have been writing Gandhi’s quotes for another purpose and by doing that these appeared as not bad for this topic, as they are three wonderful expressions that show how it looks when somebody’s deeds exactly show what that one is.
His words are harmonious with his thoughts and both with his deeds. This is a very good example for the initial idea of this topic "What we do show who we are". That is why I put it here.
mirjana

Postby Heidi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:29 pm

mirjana wrote:"Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way... you become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions."
Aristotle

According to me, this is absolutely true. Practice makes perfect.

Even if you do not feel love, compassion or kindness, it's much better to fake those properties than not show them at all. By wearing that kind of mask, little by little you get used to a more positive approach, and what the others get is also positive.

It's like smiling to yourself in front of a mirror when you are depressed. You may realize that even the fake smile makes you feel better.
Heidi

State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 17

Postby dermot » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:13 pm

I think that what we do illustrates who we are. That is why I love this quote.
Is it possible to act kindly and not to be kind?
Is it possible to show love and not to have love in heart?
Is it possible to show understanding, compassion and not to be such a person?

I'm not sure its possible to act kindly and not to be kind. No matter what your motives might be, to act kindly towards someone means just that ...to be kind. Even in a situation where we are at 'odds' with someone else, maybe due to some ongoing disagreement or whatever - an act of kindness is still an act of kindness. To look at it from the other side, it seems to me that it would be unlikely for someone to act kindly without somehow meaning it.

No, its not possible to show love, without having that resource in your heart. You cant give what you dont have. When we dip in to that most basic human emotion - its undoubtedly real.

How can anyone show compassion or understanding if they dont possess those traits?

This is something that has increasingly been brought to my understanding recently, i am looking to peoples actions to prove their intentions are real. Its easy to lie, mislead, procrastinate, deceive, etc with mere words, the proof of sincerity has to lie with the action backing up the words. i am more comfortable seeing evidence of how a person lives their life, than listening to them proclaim their intention to live it in a certain way.

Good topic!

dermot
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby Randall » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:06 pm

Mirjana, I agree with you,
My attention by posting this quote was to point how the sincerity of the inner being can be improved and evolve over time if the will is there and persistence in the way of acting, as that is how I understood this quote. I understood it as a sign how we can cultivate and develop virtues.

It fits in nicely with something Sabina said in one of her post... (paraphrasing)
When you wish to lose weight, your actions should be as the person that has already lost the weight.

When ever we seek to bring something into a reality for our life that is not currently a part of it, we make room for it when we act as though it is already there.

My wife was reading a book called the E Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber. In it he gives stories about some of the most successful companies of the 21st century. I want to quote it here. This excerpt is a quote from the founder of IBM, Tom Watson.

“IBM is what it is today for three special reasons. The first reason is that, at the very beginning, I had a very clear picture of what the company would look like when it was finally done. You might say I had a model in my mind of what it would look like when the dream - my vision - was in place.
The second reason was that once I had that picture, I then asked myself how a company which looked like that would have to act. I then created a picture of how IBM would act when it was finally done.
The third reason IBM has been so successful was that once I had a picture of how IBM would look when the dream was in place and how such a company would have to act, I then realized that, unless we began to act that way from the very beginning, we would never get there.
In other words, I realized that for IBM to become a great company it would have to act like a great company long before it ever became one.”

=0)
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 17

Postby Alvino » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:00 am

"Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way...

So he was telling us that if a person fakes love 22 or 24 times he will
BECOME LOVE.
if she fakes Temperance 41 times she will become Temperate..

you become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions."
Alvino

State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

PreviousNext

Return to Spirited Debate