what should i know ?

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

what should i know ?

Postby ubermensch » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:28 pm

The idea for this post was taken from Mirjanas post " what should we know" . Everyone here seems to a have some form of post high school education. Being i did not go to college and what little ive learned about has been online , where would you suggest I start ? To give you an idea as to what interests me , I recently introduced myself to Hegels master/slave dialectic and loved that information. Thanks in advance for sharing .
The more I give to consciousness/awareness , the more consciousness gives to me . .... ....
ubermensch

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Hitlers War David Irving
Favorite movie: The Game
Things I like: reading , learning , yoga ,chess and chess problems , lifting weights, becoming a better person physically and mentally , meditation, world religions
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 6

Re: what should i know ?

Postby Sabina » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:37 am

Learning is a life-long process... only a fool would assume a position of "intellectual snobbery" above another based on the amount of their officially documented education. Some people go to college and their education ends there. Other people learn their entire lives....

I strongly believe that we can learn from almost everything. I love the following quote, you may have heard it already... This is something I have always lived by, even when I was little, so long before I heard of Confucius. :)

"If I am walking with two other men,
      each of them will serve as my teacher.
      I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them,
      and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself."
~ Confucius

So whatever one learns and wherever one learns it from, I find it important to always remember this as well.

Deep Spirits has many nice sections which explore different areas of life and learning... be it through spirituality or literature, or the arts in general.
In regards to books specifically, I'd recommend to have a peek here:

The forum is filled with many recommendations of different sorts, for instance:
The Witticism forum is a treasure trove of short stories. As for personal recommendations, I am partial to Leo Tolstoy.... and would recommend reading his book "A Confession". Plato is another favorite. For instance, have a look at the Allegory of the Cave.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby ubermensch » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:42 am

Thanks for the quote ,and the book recommendations . Very much appreciated . I just read "Platos Cave" recently , and WOW . Amazing how that analogy applies more today than ever. I will definitely check out the other features on here as well. =0)
The more I give to consciousness/awareness , the more consciousness gives to me . .... ....
ubermensch

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Hitlers War David Irving
Favorite movie: The Game
Things I like: reading , learning , yoga ,chess and chess problems , lifting weights, becoming a better person physically and mentally , meditation, world religions
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 6

Postby mirjana » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:21 pm

I could put my signature on this what Sabina has written, as I agree so much with every word said.
I personally know quite a number of people officially considered as intellectuals(if that is a word at all) and according to that what I consider important they are far from that. They do not have anything to give, to teach or support, they are not open to listen and to learn, like life has stopped at the moment when they got an official "proof" for being intellectual. =0(
I personally know some people who are intellectual gems, although being without official diploma. They consider their life as a life longing university and have adequate approach to everything, which goes along with the quote Sabina has posted. They have much to offer and they share that what they know , equally open to role of a student as well as to the role of a teacher when having something to share.
Unfortunately majority tend to follow formal criteria rather than true and essential things, like learning about and knowing self, becoming a better person, learning about nature and humanity as one in relation to this planet.
"What should we know" http://www.deepspirits.com/exploration/what-should-we-know--t856.html
is opened based on the thought that formal knowledge or diplomas are not the only or most important criteria for anybody to be intellectual or wise or smart or anything like that. In fact, the answers in the posted video have shown diversity of practical thoughts about this matter. My idea was to get more answers of that kind what eventually could serve as a personal inspiration or motivation for any of us.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Spirited Debate