What Motivates Us

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

What Motivates Us

Postby Sabina » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:07 am

Have a look at the video... it's 10 minutes short and worth the time.
I am very curious to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: What Motivates Us

Postby mirjana » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:22 pm

I do not know where do you find things like this, but I am deeply grateful you do and you share them with us.
What we are doing here in DS, each one of us according to the present inspirational and physical condition is exactly that what this video is talking about. On some transcendental level we do the best we can to make this world a better place by giving our time, our knowledge as it is, our care for each other, our inspirational thoughts. We do not think twice if we could do something else with that. We just come here and share it. And that makes this place and some other places of the kind a good place where we feel alive and purposeful. It is not paid, it is simply recognized on the deepest human level of the heart as an act of kindness and love for another human being that we very often even do not know how s/he looks like. As such it is inspiring and motivating place to be a part of it.
Yes, I do agree that the purpose which is grander that the primary individual needs transcends our all abilities into unpredictable directions. Only then we are able to become aware how limitless we in fact are.
Not strange that one of the greatest minds of all time, Leo Tolstoy, said: "The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity." But, to become aware of this thought in its full meaning, well that is another thing.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Ryan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:30 pm

[El] =0)

Cool... I liked it...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby ubermensch » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:52 pm

interesting to see how money seems to restrict or consume part of our brains energy ... leading me to think again that limiting personal income would lead to an entirely different society . like the video suggests when people are moved by something other than greed their product not only becomes better, but the people making the product become happier people for it ...
The more I give to consciousness/awareness , the more consciousness gives to me . .... ....
ubermensch

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Hitlers War David Irving
Favorite movie: The Game
Things I like: reading , learning , yoga ,chess and chess problems , lifting weights, becoming a better person physically and mentally , meditation, world religions
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 6

Postby lonewolf93 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:57 pm

I would like to thank you for sharing this video with us here, on DS. I am new to the forum and I am a young person, but even at my age, there are many situations in which profits make it easier or more difficult to achieve our goals. To start off, not every person is fit for creative working. Some people aim only for the profits. It depends on our views on the purpose of life: do we want to make it luxurious without making any use of our potential (if there is any) or do we want to use our potential and think only positively about our responsibilities?
This video is well made and it explains the connection between rewarding and performance.
My while was surely worth watching this video :)
lonewolf93

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Sword of the Truth series
Favorite movie: Mr Nobody
Things I like: Stephen King books, Sword of the Truth series by Terry Goodkind, reading interesting Manga and watching good Anime, sci-fi movies, dramas and psychological, books about changing yourself, philosophy, psychology, music that suits my moods (different genres in different situations)
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 0

Return to Spirited Debate