What is Your Henosis

Experiences, questions and discussions on various aspects of mysticism, psychic abilities and psionics.

What is Your Henosis

Postby Sabina » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:45 pm

Within the realm of Neoplatonic philosophy, henosis (ἕνωσις Greek for unite or unity) is the divine work committed to by each individual toward the goal of union with the Monad, Source, or the One.

To get closest to the One, each individual must engage in divine work (theurgy) according to Iamblichus of Chalcis (Assyrian Neoplatonist philosopher, ~245 - 325). This divine work can be defined as each individual dedicating their lives to making the created world and mankind's relationship to it, and one another, better.

Under the teachings of Iamblichus from the Theurgia, or De Mysteriis Aegyptiorum, one goes through a series of theurgy or rituals that unites the initiate to the Monad. These rituals mimic the ordering of the chaos of the Universe into the material world or cosmos. They also mimic the actions of the demiurge as the creator of the material world.

The concept of henosis is prominent in Oriental philosophies, Neoplatonic philosophy, within the mystery religions, and in the writings of the Corpus Hermeticum.

henosis = salvation

Wikipedia wrote:Each individual as a microcosm reflects the gradual ordering of the universe referred to as the macrocosm. In mimicking the demiurge (divine mind), one unites with The One or Monad. Thus the process of unification, of "The Being", and "The One", is called Henosis. The culmination of Henosis is deification. Deification here making each man a God by replacing the concept of God as creator with themselves as creators, builders, craftmen of their own lives (ones' life as their greatest work their Magnum opus). The divine unity here is a linear modalistic emanation i.e. Monad, Dyad, Triad and etc.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: What is Your Henosis

Postby Daywhite » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:48 pm

I immediately thought of Gandhi's quote, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world," as I read this. I think people often see whatever they may define as the world's problems as too big to fix, "I am only one. What good, what change, could I possibly effect?" Often, individuals will see something, such as said here, "...each individual dedicating their lives to making the created world and mankind's relationship to it, and one another, better," as much too large an undertaking, to dedicate one's life to improving the world and mankind's relationship to it as simply impossible for one individual. But, if the individual can reduce the undertaking to simply improving oneself, then perhaps more will be willing to join in.

As mentioned here, and I agree, we are all connected, each affecting the other, whether in positive or negative ways. This, I feel, leads to what we do to, or for, our self, individually, we do as well to the larger entity we are each a part of, what is here called, "...the Monad, Source, or the One."

Some may argue many who have followed what they felt best for humanity have done severe harm to us all, wars and warriors, destroying in order to save. The only answer I can venture for this is anytime destruction of another is needed in order to advance one's own aims or goals, then the goals need to be reevaluated.

If the universe could be reduced to a finite subject, a single group, a family, even, then one can easily see how the action or inaction of each unit will affect the larger whole. In any functioning mechanism, a watch, a computer, all are made up of many different parts, the success of the whole dependent on each part to do its job to the best of its ability. If one part is out of place and interferes with the ability of another to function, the entire mechanism suffers.

I feel we, as individuals, are at our best when we find and listen to that voice deep within, whatever it may be called, the voice separate from any other internal or external noise, our conscience, our soul, whatever it may be, the voice that tells us, whether we feel comfortable believing it or not, as Buddha said, "You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection." If we can learn and accept this, I feel it is much more likely we will see things around us as deserving the same. If love is planted within the individual, then love will be more likely to grow throughout the universe.

As mentioned here, "The culmination of Henosis is deification. Deification here making each man a God by replacing the concept of God as creator with themselves as creators, builders, craftsmen of their own lives..." We are each creators, each powerful in ways we may be only beginning to understand.

What do you, as simple sentient beings, feel is the best course of action for an individual to take? How much power do we as individuals have and what is the best way for us to use said power?

I have been trying to finish my thoughts on this for maybe two hours now, typing, deleting, thinking, forgetting, and I'm still not too sure I've said anything very sensical, to me or anyone who may venture to read this. But, I do love talking about it, thinking about it, pondering the imponderables, maybe making progress, maybe not. Who knows if that is not perhaps my way of moving ever closer to my own henosis?
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Re: What is Your Henosis

Postby mirjana » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:21 pm

Sabina,
It is beautiful topic and answering this question should be daily present in our life.
Daywhite,
Like you said, “talking about it, thinking about it, pondering the imponderables,” in my opinion do make a progress and puts more light on that where we are personally in mimicking the demiurge.
Quoting Gandhi is definitely very motivating reminder what could it mean.
I like very much this thought of yours:
“Anytime destruction of another is needed in order to advance one's own aims or goals, then the goals need to be reevaluated. “
This thought is great guidance to make the best of everything we do. I suggest it to be sent for DS quotes.

Thinking that I can always do more is my devise. It means learning from others and listening carefully to all kind of feed backs that come. I put more attention on that what I haven’t done than on that what I have done. And then behave appropriately.
I love life and do my best to help others to do the same;
I practice acceptance of what comes upon me changing things I want and can change;
I do try to understand what I don't like and work to see connection with myself why I don’t like it;
I keep trying to stay open-minded and open hearted.
I enjoy things I do and do believe that we are creator of our destiny. I try to teach people around me about this cosmic law. I ask questions and I am grateful to those who give me their time and attention for answering them. I do believe that this exchange can mutually change people.
I am very grateful for what I have and I think that this is very important for everyone to become aware of.
My time has never been only mine, my life has always been shared with people and I do believe that I was able to influence for good some people like some have influenced me. I think that such interchange or synergism is the driving force that helps us to make the best out of us.
Most of all, I think that daily thought dedicated to the question ‘What is Your Henosis’ would motivate further answers and their application in life. It wouldn’t be bad to have this question on the computer desk as a motivating reminder.
There is another question that goes well with this one:
Do you give as much as you love to receive?
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Mysticism