What is reality, what is illusion?

Experiences, questions and discussions on various aspects of mysticism, psychic abilities and psionics.

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Sometimes, more often as I get older, I get this momentary unexpected affirmation that life, and many of the things we consider important are illusions. I get a glimpse of OH!!! that's what it is really all about, but when I try to focus on it, it quickly dissapears.

We are so limited by the senses of our physical bodies in our perceptions that it is very difficult for me to consider what the "bigger picture" of existence might be all about. The attempts of superstition and ritual by cult like religions throughout time confuse the matter even more.

The concept of time as a measure of change also seems artificail in a sense and limited to our perception of the world through our physical senses.

So, the question is how much of what we consider reality is illusion and is there a chance it is all illusion??? =0o
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Re: What is reality, what is illusion?

Postby mirjana » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:11 pm

GenerousGeorge wrote:...
So, the question is how much of what we consider reality is illusion and is there a chance it is all illusion??? =0o

Oh, George, this is eternal question and I so much understand what you are talking about. We are definitely limited by our bodies. But, like it is not enough we consciously or unconsciously choose further limitations. Living on automatic pilot, closing eyes in front of evident injustice, turning back to the situations when we should stay front, living in the past and not in now... just to mention few of many. With each such choice we take a part of our awareness contributing first that our life seems to be an illusion and by that making possible on the grander level that life really becomes more and more an illusion. By our limitations we make it be so. I think that we are limitless and that is our true nature.
We have mentioned many times Allegory of the Cave by Plato - The Republic, Book VII. It is great that here in DS we have animated Version of Plato's Cave: http://www.deepspirits.com/ancient-sages/plato/allegory-of-the-cave.php. It is one of very good explanations for your question.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:46 pm

Nice one Mirjana, I agree that Plato's cave once again fits here very nicely. So do the Matrix movies.
George, did you by any chance watch "The Matrix"?

Many people choose to "not see" and live on inside the illusion rather than seeing the reality. They usually make this choice because looking at reality seems like a too big bite, when it is not really... and the first step is to realize that seeing is a choice.
I think that once you begin seeing and the illusion disappears little by little, you proportionally to that gain clarity in all matters of life. And with clarity comes strength and affirmation.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Ryan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:02 pm

And the illusion is deep and twisted to make finding your way out of it confusing and difficult...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:51 pm

This movie is one of great contributions to be really part of our life instead to live in the reality somebody else project for us.
the-corporation-t403.html
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby dermot » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:53 pm

Good topic George!

What is insight?
What is creativity?
What is beauty?
What is truth?

Where do they arise/ come from?

More questions??????????
d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:49 am

Sabina, I did see the Matrix.

I believe that this is one of the biggest drawbacks with religions like Chriatianity. They limit and discourage a philosopbhy of open mindedness and questioning and encourage people believe in ludicrous and unqestioning dogma.
GenerousGeorge

Postby Ryan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:37 am

Oh, I don't know... if they want to believe in big pink butterflies that release magic fairy dust when caressed, it is fine by me. It doesn't affect me either way. Plus, I find the architecture in the churches to be absolutely amazing and stunning. The vaulted ceilings, the stained glass windows, not to mention the art work commissioned by the church... sculptures... and I even submitted my favorite work of visual art a while back... the Sistine Chapel.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby GenerousGeorge » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:18 am

Long as they don't try to make the pink butterflies with pixie dust part of a school curriculum on science. =0/ =0o =0/
GenerousGeorge

Postby dermot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:26 am

With respect Ryan, i realise you may be being facetious, but do you not have any problem with people believing complete untruths?
Its ok to believe in the healing powers of pixie dust?
Those elegant churches were built in my country too, at a time when poverty was killing people.

This is a real issue, it effects many lives, organised religion causes untold heartache for millions of believers worldwide - because nothing in their experience has caused them to ask questions that might lead to freedom from dogma.

If we are going to take stands against ignorance and deception, lets start with the biggies rather than taking on some media whore fanning the airways for attention.

This is dealing with reality.........where it matters.
Certainly in my opinion.
d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Next

Return to Mysticism