What is a soulmate

Experiences, questions and discussions on various aspects of mysticism, psychic abilities and psionics.

What is a soulmate

Postby Sabina » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:15 pm

What is a soulmate?

For me it implies a mystical, intense and very special connection. Two people which were meant to be together and feel more complete once they found each other.

However, I don't think they have to be identical nor have the same opinions on everything. I also think that certain differences are there for a reason, such as one person is an extreme in one direction, the other is an extreme about the same thing in the opposite direction. Through their love and being together, they harmonize the extremes and both become better individually as well as grow as a couple.
I believe soulmates are there for that as well.

How do you see that?
What is a soulmate for you?
Can two people be soulmates and be extreme opposites in some regards?
Or are soulmates a perfect match in every regard?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: What is a soulmate

Postby mirjana » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:22 am

I like the idea that we create soul mate with the level of our own personality.
If we have a clear image of our soul mate, as more clear to the very details this image is as more chances we have to attract such an image. The question is though what do we create as such an image?

When we think about soul mate we project our wishes which are mainly based only on positives, especially during the youth.
But, even when our fantasy wants to attract soul mate with only positives, it is not possible because we are also not one-sided; our soul mate is not as well. Perfect Mr. /Mrs. Soul Mate don’t exist. It is only our fantasy that dreams about positives.
In reality, I think that with our sub consciousness we attract our disowned parts as subconsciously we know that is the best way to work on our Self. This cosmic interaction between souls happens on many levels. They are attracted by their characteristics that are common to both, mostly positive, and by their not yet accepted parts, which is not less important.

From the movie "Guess Who", the part about the better half...

It seems that thinking about soul mate is a very interesting introspective game. We recognize our positives and consciously attract positives and not recognizing consciously our negatives, we subconsciously attract soul mate that have our negatives, as having ours in mirror is the best way to work on them. That way our soul mate story is from the very beginning one of the helping synchronicities for our personal growth. What is interesting is that in the end effect something we consider as positives turn into the opposite and something we considered as negatives turn into the very useful positive.
Attracting opposite traits at a subconscious level to balance self through a relationship makes good sense in the same way that we seek or attract likeminded people to strengthen our positives. This is the way kindred souls find each other and make groups with similar goals. DS is also such a group.
I hope that these "few" lines answered all three questions. =0X
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:05 pm

Great answers Mirjana! Thank you... <3

mirjana wrote:When we think about soul mate we project our wishes which are mainly based only on positives, especially during the youth.

This part in particular reminded me of my old (very old, hence the association with your words) definition of a perfect man: ...the right combination of Jean-Luc Picard, Worf and Data (here sorted by importance, by the way).

A lot of beautiful wisdom is contained in Star Trek, The Next Generation. I sincerely believe that if everyone grew up with it the world would be a better place. Any Star Trek fan I ever came across was, in a way, an idealist and an Utopian, some quietly so, while others were more proactive.

I'm off into the Star Trek TNG universe to get some material, which I will post as a new topic.

*WAVE*
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby mirjana » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:31 pm

I like your passion when you talk about Star Trek. <3 I belong to Star Trek fans and share your opinion what kind of energy attracts people toward them, therefore to each other as well. Idealistic or Utopian is the more or less the same, as both are nurturing energies for virtues' development and work ion self in that direction.
"I sincerely believe that if everyone grew up with it the world would be a better place. " <3
Beautifully said. I can hardly wait to see what you prepare as the next in that direction. =0/
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby dermot » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 pm

Surely a soulmate is just someone who is at the same place as you are on the journey of life?
I dont think they necessarily have to be romantically linked or opposite sex, or that there is just one.
I think the whole soulmate thing is an overblown tag, much abused and misunderstood.

Rose tinted glasses.....dont look back in anger!
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby Sabina » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:25 pm

Dermot,
What you have described, (to me) sound more like a kindred spirit.
There can be many of them, the gender doesn't matter and the connotation is not romantic.
Could that be?
Or do you think a kindred spirit and a soulmate are one and the same?

I agree about the misuse of the word, as is the case with many words, but... that is not a good enough reason to discard it, no?
Like in some professions there are many charlatans, but occasionally you come across the real thing, if you're lucky. Just because there are charlatans as well doesn't mean that the profession itself, as it was meant to be and what it was meant to mean, doesn't exist or is wrong - in my opinion.
Sabina

Postby dermot » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Yeah Sabina i know what you are saying and agree, totally.

I wasnt seeking to denegrate the status of 'soulmate', more a commentary on human nature wishing to dress up the sometimes mundane nature of existence.
God, that sounds like a terrible statement!

Is someone your soulmate if and until they prove you wrong, and then get relegated to erstwhile friend.
No.

Soulmate is a lifelong companion, who you KNOW wont be found wanting......that is damn unusual.

That could also be the description of a kindred spirit too though, i suppose?

Was the young lady who left a daisy chain attached to my back pack whilst on hols in South of France either or both?
Dont ask me......i couldnt understand a word.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby crystaldart » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:58 am

The characteristics residing in a soul determine the atmosphere to which its born & brought up. Sometimes this is intertwined for two souls. But their union in life need not guarantee a smooth ride. But, I think they could be called soul mates in a direct sense.

But there are instances in spiritual history, when some great spiritual master intervene here and guide the union of two souls of different spiritual history. Here the thought is to bring together two souls who's virtues compliment & supplement each other in their journey to the greater goal.

But it doesn't mean happily ever after. Its just that the right resource for a great life is provided. The couple, under the guidance of these spiritual masters, need to learn to live in tolerance, love, understanding & sacrifices for their life's purpose.

This should be the real soul mates.
crystaldart

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 2

Postby Sabina » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:58 am

That's a nice description CrystalDart!

I am curious though about the great spiritual master who intervenes. Who or what could be considered such a spiritual master?

Is it a human, or a spirit, or God, or what did you have in mind?
Sabina

Postby crystaldart » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:53 pm

These spiritual master are of course of flesh & blood. They are an abundant source of Spiritual Experiences. And they come in the will of God with definite purpose. To explain their spiritual demeanor is great and long effort.

But one aspect that place them at a different realm is the depth in their spiritual experiences and the unique ability to bring us up to those spiritual capacities. They are able to decipher the characteristics of the soul, its spiritual evolution, its life, its abnormalities and its remedies. God's everlasting kindness echos in their heart. To be in their vicinity is an experience in itself.

This a spirit can never even come close to provide. Its said, if you have the required spiritual insight you can see, even the most vibrant of the spirits bowing in reverence before these masters.
crystaldart

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 2

Next

Return to Mysticism