Well, I'm flattered!

By Agate

Well, I'm flattered!

Postby Agate » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:39 pm

I'm delighted to report that my bean-filled state has been deemed worthy of a journal here on DS. At this moment, I'm planning to use it to chronicle my journey from meat-eater to herbivore...but there's really no telling what all will wind up here.

Truth be told, I'm still kind of reeling from the past week. Just 7 days ago, I ordered a sausage pizza. Most of it was still left the next day, when I half-randomly Googled the first steps one needs to take to become a vegetarian. That day, I finished the pizza...knowing in my heart and gut that it was the last meat I was likely to eat. And even then, a part of me rebelled. Not against the idea of becoming a vegetarian, but over the thought of finishing that pie. A switch in my head had been thrown, and I knew gut and bone deep that whatever I was in the past, now I'm a vegetarian.

This is going to be at once the easiest and hardest change I've ever made. Easy because...well...it just is. It feels right, tastes, looks, smells, sounds right. I place a great deal of weight on my intuition, and am good at listening to my gut. Both are singing every time I look at the choice to eschew meat. This is what I need to do, this is what I need to be. Every potential difficulty I've come up with has taken 10 minutes or less to concoct a possible solution to. Intuition aside, that fact alone is enough to tell me I'm on the right path. In my experience answers and solutions only come this easily when I'm doing what I'm supposed to.

Essentially, if it's something that only involves me, this will be the easiest thing I've ever done. The hard part involves coping with my family and friends.

My parents in particular will probably not believe that this is a real change. They'll either assume that this is "just another short-term obsession" or worry that I'm stumbling back into eating disorder territory. Hopefully when they see all the positive changes this life is bringing about they'll be able to embrace the idea of a vegetarian daughter. And if not...well I guess that's their problem.

So for the moment I'm keeping this nugget of information to myself, seeing where the path leads. I've got no idea where it goes or how I'll get there. All I know is that it's sure to be a gas!
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Re: Well, I'm flattered!

Postby mirjana » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:39 pm

Welcome again Agate. =0) this time to DS Breeze.
I do not know for your family, but DS members have already discovered so much about you, and as it happens in your beans period, I can assume that we thank to that too. ;0)
I am looking forward to your writing and where this path will bring you and us with you.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Agate » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Mirjana, my family is as prosaic as a stack of bricks. Much as I love them, they are not...open...to flights of fancy, nor do they willingly acknowledge the value of intuition. *sigh* They see what they want to see, and that is an image of me as a quiet, pliant, dutiful child.

Quiet I undeniably am, and dutiful when I need to be. But I see the world so very differently than they ever would...*sigh* Y'all here at DS probably already know and understand me far better than my family. They're mine and I love them, but sometimes I wonder if I was switched at birth!
Agate

Postby Sabina » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Dear Agate,

"Happy people continuously change;
and because they change they become more and more happy;
and then more and more change is possible."

~ Osho

And I would add...

And then when those close to them see how much they have changed
and how happy they have become
then even more change is possible, all around.

=0)
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:40 pm

Agate wrote:...They're mine and I love them, but sometimes I wonder if I was switched at birth!

I think that there are moments when everybody has similar thoughts. =0D It was witty what you said.
Sabina has already expressed that so beautifully, I cannot do it better, but still there is a need to emphasize the meaning of change and personal right to defend your choices as they are your life. Nobody lives your life but you. And if you don’t live yours, you will be easily switched in somebody else's life. And that is something that is not good and doesn't bring any good to anybody.
As much as I know you so far, you are able to stand for your choices. The most beautiful feeling that one person can afford to self realization is the awareness by choosing to say NO.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Agate » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:54 pm

mirjana wrote:Nobody lives your life but you. And if you don’t live yours, you will be easily switched in somebody else's life. And that is something that is not good and doesn't bring any good to anybody.
As much as I know you so far, you are able to stand for your choices. The most beautiful feeling that one person can afford to self realization is the awareness by choosing to say NO.

But my dear Mirjana, I only recently discovered how to say "no". So for the first *mumble mumble* years of my life, the only daughter they ever knew was the girl who was a perpetual people-pleaser. They've not quite gotten used to the shift in me yet, and I think it makes them uncomfortable.

Sorry as I am to cause my folks distress, it is my life, not theirs. I know that I've made several choices lately that they're not going to much like, but I'm cut from a different cloth from them. It took me a while to accept and embrace that...but once I did, there was no going back.
Agate

Return to Full of Beans