Valentine's Day

Short stories, good jokes,
witty sayings and anecdotes

Valentine's Day

Postby Sabina » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:13 am

Valentine's Day is the common name of an annual holiday which is actually called Saint Valentine's Day.
It is was named after one or more martyred saints of ancient Rome. =0o
(Probably not as romantic as you had hoped...)

The name Valentine derives from valentia (Latin) and means strength or capacity.

Valentine's Day was established as a holiday in 496 C.E., by Pope Gelasius I, however it didn't have a romantic connotation until the 14th century!

The word "valentine" nowadays refers to a letter or a card sent to a "sweetheart". That meaning of the word valentine was first recorded in 1824.

Today most people don't consider this a religious holiday anymore, but rather a lovers' holiday, however in some countries which are predominantly non-Christian, shopkeepers who sell Valentine's Day items have problems that are caused by fundamentalists of some other, non-Christian religion, on the base that it is a Christian holiday.

That part is sad... No holiday should ever be a cause for fighting.

Most countries which celebrate Valentine's Day do so on February 14 (today). The exception is Brazil. Brazilians celebrate Dia dos Namorados ("Day of the Enamored") on June 12.

*WAVE*
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Valentine's Day

Postby Ryan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Thanks for the history. Interesting indeed.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Re: Valentine's Day

Postby mirjana » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:38 pm

I love your approach to things Sabina, which is not to follow whatever happens taking part in it as an automatic follower. At least, if doing or not doing that, one should know the reasons for why, or why not.
To have at least one dedicated day to love is a wonderful idea. But, to connect this idea only with church and religion is completely another, especially if the true origin and the final result don’t correspond at all. It actually shows as one of brilliant examples how people slowly and over the time, with a persistent influence and work from those who want to penetrate and through that influence every aspect of life, can brainwash people so nicely that something that was not good at all could become a symbol for the opposite. What an irony and cynicism.
Because, even if not considered as a religious day any more, primary religious connotations and origin is still there and this fact cannot be ignored.
What is disturbing though is not an origin which is basically religious. There are great people who were representative of the religious systems who were contributing to the development of humanity and human consciousness but awakening archetypically good things. They deserve such days not only to stay remembered by good but also to strengthen the idea they were behind. Some of them are in our Time Machine. But, if something, which should be a symbol of the dominant human emotion, as love is, has a doubtful origin, and as such is still praised, it is something that definitely deserves some reflections.
Romanian people used to have their Day for Love which had a folkloric origin connected with love. But, today, even they have started using Valentine Day as a Day for Love. That is something which is more sad than funny.
Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Witticism