Using animals to find water

A collection of interesting tales or information regarding nature itself and/or people in nature.
by Ryan

Using animals to find water

Postby Ryan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Mammals
Water is a basic need and is required by animals regularly. Grazing animals tend to stay fairly close to water as they need to drink at least in the morning and in the evening. So finding game trails (desire path), those paths worn down through continued use from animals, and following them down hill will often lead to a water source. Carnivorous animals get moisture from their prey and therefore are not dependable for finding a water source.

Birds
Other than birds of prey (owls, falcons, eagles, buzzards/vultures, etc), birds are fairly close to water and tend to drink in the morning and in the evening. Generally, when they are flying straight and low they are heading to water and when they are returning from a water source, they tend to fly from tree to tree.

Insects
Bees, on average, tend to fly a maximum distance of 6.5 km (4 miles) from their hive and therefore a water source can be found within that radius. Most flies will stay within 90 km (100 yards) of a water source.

Reptiles
Reptiles do not need much moisture and can collect enough to fulfill their needs from morning dew and their prey.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Return to Knowing Nature