Two Months In

By Agate

Two Months In

Postby Agate » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:03 am

I'm two months into this journey, and find myself confused, amused, amazed and irked by turns.

Every day I'm amused and/or amazed at how easy this has been. Even situations that could lead to awkwardness (like those potlucks or dinner with my folks) have been navigated with minimal difficulty. I'm still occasionally craving, but not often and not bad.

Irksome and confusing come into play at unexpected moments. Though I've been a label-reader for some time now, the more I read them, the more confused I get. Stuff that you wouldn't expect to have any animal derivatives turns out to be packed with them...until I began this journey I'd no idea that Jello (and gelatin in general) came from bones. So I find myself having to do more and more research, having to decide where my personal comfort zone is.

Fortunately I'm not too fond of Jello.

The other frustrating aspect is cost. Fake-meat hot dogs cost nearly double the "normal" kind. The same goes for most other "meat" products. Much as I'd like to try more of them, I just can't afford it.

Oh well. Beans are cheap...and yes, I'm still full of 'em!
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Re: Two Months In

Postby Sabina » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:44 pm

Agate wrote:Much as I'd like to try more of them, I just can't afford it.

Hi Agate!
I'm a little confused by the above statement. Does that mean that if you could afford it, you would buy it, and eat it?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Two Months In

Postby Agate » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Sabina wrote:
Agate wrote:Much as I'd like to try more of them, I just can't afford it.

Hi Agate!
I'm a little confused by the above statement. Does that mean that if you could afford it, you would buy it, and eat it?

Yes, pretty much. I'd at least try a lot more things, were they less expensive. With as tight a budget as I have, I'm kind of reluctant to spend money on things that may wind up getting thrown away.

On the plus side, that means I'm having to learn to improvise and am still cooking WAY more than I have in years!
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Return to Full of Beans