Tunisia, Egypt...and more?

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Tunisia, Egypt...and more?

Postby Azur » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:56 pm

People!
Something big is going on in the Arab countries at the moment. Tunisia already got rid of its dictator who had ruled for 30 years. The same thing is happening right now in Egypt. Tomorrow, the Egyptians are planning to definitely throw off Mubarak. They call it the “departure” day.

For decades both Mubarak and Ben Ali were supported by the western governments because their regimes were supposedly a shield against muslim extremists. But the people out in the streets are young people, workers and all those fed up with humiliating life conditions, and certainly not savage tribes of enraged zealots we are told to be afraid of. 40% of them survive with less than $2 a day.

The Arab youth has had enough of the old corrupt class, offering no future.

The very interesting fact is that facebook and twitter i.e internet play a huge role in organising the protests. It’s like out of nowhere a new collective conscience emerges from the internet and bursts into the reality. Cool, right? A lot of dictatorships in the middle east are wetting their pants.Even in China there’s no result for Egypt in search engines at the moment.

Just go for it guys! Hasta la Victoria siempre
Azur

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: The Stranger - Albert Camus
Favorite movie: Le salaire de la peur - Henri-Georges Clouzot
Things I like: Travelling, music
State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 4

Re: Tunisia, Egypt...and more?

Postby mirjana » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:53 am

Welcome to Deep Spirits Azur. =0)
You explained very well that what is changing in the consciousness of young people who cannot lose anything. But what they can get is so valuable as this is their future. Just recently Jade has posted Zeitgeist movie that expresses the need of changes if we all as humanity want to make this world a better place for living. These are challenging times.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Ryan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:15 am

Hello Azur!
Nice first post! [El]

It is great information to hear as well... I do like it when people stand up and take the reins of their lives. I kind of hope it is contagious... in the sense that people start coming together and actively affecting a change in the way things are done.

Inspiring post... thank you!
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby Sabina » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:53 pm

Yes, very cool.
People standing up for freedom rather than being mindless, brainwashed, endlessly consuming automatons.

I concur with Ryan's thoughts in that I also hope it to be contagious...
Hopefully the media won't pull them too much into the thrash and paint it all black, as they like to.
Idealistically speaking, it (the media) shouldn't make that much of a difference and people can still choose to organize, unite and act together regardless.

Thanks for posting this!
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Azur » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks for the replies! here are some more thoughts that these events have inspired me.

Since the beginning of the 80’s both Tunisia and Egypt have had hunger riots, just about every time that the price of commodities like rice and wheat soared on the global market. It resulted each time in government injecting funds to limit the price raise and thus putting an end to the revolt. It was like putting a temporary patch on a patient with a chronicle disease, but it was sufficient to maintain the status quo. The disease, among others, is the high level of dependence of these countries on imports of food products. Egypt, for instance, is importing 40% of its food and 60% of its wheat! And the situation at the moment is similar as the prices of all cereals hit record highs, due to bad crops, fires in Russia, floods in Australia etc.

So, why is it different now? Why is the patch not good enough any more?

I tend to think it is all thanks to the Tunisian revolution. The Tunisian dictator Ben Ali had created a police state in which all the power was in the hands of his and his wife’s family with virtually no freedom of expression. But the economy was relatively prosperous and the education was at the highest level of the entire African continent. So the young people were educated but at some point they could not emancipate themselves, because “whom you know” was more important than “what you know”. In other words, if you do not bow to the regime, you can not accomplish anything. The young people were so desperate that in mid december one young educated unemployed committed suicide by setting himself on fire.

This triggered an immediate movement of solidarity of the many who were in the same situation but not only them. Lawyers and judges went on a general strike, trade unions who were until then more or less cooperative with the regime began to revolt as well as many other parts of the society. The reaction of the regime was ruthless and brutal. The police fired at the crowd causing numerous deaths, the regime cut off the internet and the foreign press. But young people managed to override the internet censorship and used facebook and twitter to organise gatherings every day. The important thing was also that the army stood with the people and refused to obey to the regime. Ben Ali was always weary of the army and always preferred the police and he was right, haha. The army was underequipped and only 40 000 soldiers whereas the police force had 120 000 men. And eventually they did it! Ben Ali left like a wimp and fled with à 1,5t of gold to Saudi Arabia.

So in my opinion, the following factors counted:
- Educated youth (education is bad for dictators, makes people less docile)
- That educated youth had a vision and knew things could become better
- Solidarity between different layers of the society.
- Support of the army

In Egypt, very much the same scenario is taking place. And as they saw that change was possible from the Tunisian example, the movement is huge. Egyptians are also very proud people and that pride is also being stimulated by Tunisia. So yes Ryan and Sabina I strongly believe that it’s contagious!

It is often said that people only react when they’re pushed against the wall. I wonder if that’s true because from these examples we can see that NOT EVEN HUNGER was enough to make the situation change.

So what you need is solidarity, pride, communication (internet has proven its importance), vision of a better future and the Human Open Perspectives Element or HOPE!

However, the situation is far from being clear in both countries. Mubarak made a speech saying that if he stepped down there would be chaos. The guy really thinks he’s a Pharaoh and that without him the world would fall apart.

But there is still hope!

Cheers!
Azur

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: The Stranger - Albert Camus
Favorite movie: Le salaire de la peur - Henri-Georges Clouzot
Things I like: Travelling, music
State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 4

Postby Jade » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Reading your analysis has been a pleasure Azur. [El] [El] [El]