Truth in Superstition

Experiences, questions and discussions on various aspects of mysticism, psychic abilities and psionics.

Truth in Superstition

Postby Sabina » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:03 pm

Is there any truth in superstition?

superstition –noun
1. a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.
2. a system or collection of such beliefs.
3. a custom or act based on such a belief.

4. irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, esp. in connection with religion.
5. any blindly accepted belief or notion.

My understanding of the word superstition corresponds with the primary definition. The last two definitions are extremely negative, and while superstition may refer to that as well, that is not what my opening question pertains to.

There are both, positive and negative superstitions. For instance, finding a four-leaf clover brings good luck, a cricket in the house, finding a horseshoe, or a coin, or wearing clothes inside out, are all considered good luck charms as well.
Examples of bad luck superstitions include chasing someone with a broom, giving someone a purse or a wallet without money in it, or a bird flying into the house.

Having an itchy palm can be good or bad, depending on which hand it is.
    If the palm of your right hand is itchy, then it foretells that money is coming to you, but do not scratch it as that stops the money from coming! If it's your left palm that is itchy, then scratch away, as that means that you'll soon be paying money.
There are also neutral superstitions, simply announcing an event. For example...
    To drop a fork means a woman will visit.
    To drop a knife means a man will visit.
    To drop a spoon means a child will visit.
Some superstitions are even reasonable, which, according to the primary definition, would mean they aren't superstitions at all?
    ψ Goldfish in the pond bring good luck.
    ψ Goldfish in the house bring bad luck.
Ergo, imprisoning a gold fish is bad... makes sense, doesn't it?

So, what are your thoughts and experiences? Is there ever any truth in superstitions or is it all just hocus pocus?
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Truth in Superstition

Postby Ryan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:11 pm

I am not a superstitious person at all... I believe things happen as a result of some particular action... I do not give credit to unconnected events in any way. It has been my experience that those who believe in superstitions inadvertently make things happen to support their superstition... or they always have a "fix" to counteract the superstition... and therefore when that which should have happened doesn't they have an explanation as to why it didn't.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Re: Truth in Superstition

Postby Agate » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:00 pm

I think that some superstitions (especially the negative ones) tend to take on a life of their own. Once we identify something as "causing" a negative event or bad luck, we are likely to attribute all sorts of random things to the original superstitious seed.

For instance, yesterday was Friday the 13th. I overheard a lot of people talking about it, worrying about bad luck.

If you walk around all day thinking "today is unlucky, bad things are going to happen today" even minor hiccups in the day will get blamed on "bad luck." And all that focus on negative outcomes is likely to make us see only the bad things, and highlight that specific day as "unlucky".

Having said all that logical stuff...yes, there are a couple superstitions I cling to. I refuse to wish a performer "good luck" before they go onstage and I cringe at the thought of hats on beds.

Silly? Yes. But yielding to those superstitions causes no harm, so I'm content to be unreasoning in one tiny area of my mind and life.
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Return to Mysticism