Tatanka-manantial , native Indians' music of North America

Re: Native Music

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:26 pm
by mirjana
Haka dances

King of the Fairies

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:36 pm
by Sabina
This is not my favorite version of "King of the Fairies", but it is still lovely. I will try to find the one that most corresponds to me and add it then as well...

Traditional Irish
King of the Fairies

Irish solo stepdances fall into two broad categories based on the shoes worn: hard shoe and soft shoe dances. "Reel", "slip jig", "hornpipe", and "jig" (soft shoe and hard shoe) are all types of Irish stepdances and are also types of Irish traditional music.

Re: Traditional Music

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:42 pm
by Sabina
I've always liked this music, even when I was little, though I didn't know what exactly it was. After some time I found out that it comes from Louisiana, but there are many different styles of music in Louisiana.
I'm still not exactly sure which it is.. a little bit of Cajun music, a bit of swamp blues,... And I love the fiddle.
Here are a few songs...

Balfa Brothers: La Dance De Mardi Gras

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:56 pm
by shmayisrael
i love traditional music of all kinds. I grew up listening mainly to American folk and traditional Irish music.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:33 am
by tcm2164
Mongolian Overtone Singing -- I love this song and I have no idea what it is about! The sounds he makes with only his voice and a primitive 2-string instrument are just incredible. Really moving.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:49 am
by tcm2164
Traditional music from Cameroon

Drum music from one of the oldest tribes in the Philippines, the Tagbanua. Archeologists believe these are some of the original inhabitants of the islands with their lineage tracing back to Tabon Man, a 20,000 year old skeleton found in the region.

Tibetan traditional song

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:07 am
by tcm2164
Some interesting Indonesian traditional music

And some Tuareg women singing and drumming.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:32 pm
by Sabina
Tim,
It is all interesting, but the "Mongolian overtone singing" is incredible. Wow!
His vocal range.. and only two strings, and then that finale. Truly amazing all together!
Thank you!!

__2__

See what you think of this...
It is from the movie Bab'aziz (which was pure magic and I highly recommend it).

Hauntingly beautiful...

"You Created The Night, I Made The Lamp"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:39 pm
by Sabina
Tim,

The Mongolian overtone singer's name is Enkh Jargal. Here is another piece, from the Klangwelten music festival, additionally featuring Mongolian throat singing, which produces some pretty incredible tones and effects. I found it quite touching.