Thought Provoking Question

What should the ideal community or society be like?
Thoughts and ideas on making the utopian idea reality.

Thought Provoking Question

Postby mirjana » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:15 pm

How much are you concerned about the environment?

Environmental issues become more and more vital for the future of our planet. More and more people talk about it concerned about the level of awareness about the importance of this issue.

1. What do you think what kind of ideas we could implement?
2. What we could do that would have a serious impact on the environment?
3. What we could do to inspire or motivate others to take part in these actions?
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: Thought Provoking Question

Postby Sabina » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:21 pm

You know Mirjana, when I saw this topic I was at first confused, because this entire forum (Utopia) is basically about the questions you are asking in this topic. Then I thought about it some more and came to the conclusion that the simplicity and the straight-forwardness of these questions may actually be quite practical. A lot of people talk about the environment, our impact on it, etc. , then again a lot of people are still foggy on how to actually make a difference.

We can talk about all kinds of ways to save energy and be eco-friendly in our lives, but I do believe that certain things make more of a difference than others (while, of course, every effort still counts).

For instance, buying local food... or buying bio-food... that's easy and almost everyone can do it. And no, it doesn't matter if the other food is cheaper... don't buy the wrong stuff just because it's cheaper. If you can't afford a lot of the good stuff, then buy less, but still buy bio.

Don't buy plastic bottles. In fact, prefer products with less packaging.

Drive a car as little as possible, fly an airplane as little as possible - and this goes especially for those people who travel as part of their jobs, so frequent fliers. Get a job nearby (so you can walk there) or use public transportation to get to your job place, or work from home.

Recycle.

In fact, here are a couple of nice articles about all that...

However, and this is maybe more important than anything...
If a company is not eco-friendly or maybe it even extorts or pollutes the environment, do not support them in any way. Don't mention them, don't buy from them, just drop them cold.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Thought Provoking Question

Postby mirjana » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:47 pm

Sabina wrote:...
However, and this is maybe more important than anything...
If a company is not eco-friendly or maybe it even extorts or pollutes the environment, do not support them in any way. Don't mention them, don't buy from them, just drop them cold.

Excellent answer, Sabina and thank you for great site you recommended. I visited it and enjoyed all tips there, not only in the Green part. =0) I am always deeply touched when encountering somebody who loves this planet and does the best to motivate others by active approach. This is excellent site and I like it very much.
Both recommended articles are eye opening and awakening even for those who are already on that path.
My whole approach to life goes around saving the environment. Still, your tips are very useful. Still, there is a scary thought that we do not have a critical mass needed for change. Therefore your last sentence is like an eco manifest and I shall use it in my approach
to other people even risking to be boring. ;0)
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Utopia