This is not Utopia

What should the ideal community or society be like?
Thoughts and ideas on making the utopian idea reality.

Re: This is not Utopia

Postby alejandrocerv » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:28 pm

My least favorite thing about the Utopia debate is that people play the "trump card" of "The definition of Utopia is a place that doesn't exist, so it can't." They are, in fact, mistaken. If you actually know some of the background of the book "Utopia", which coined the term, by Sir (now Saint) Thomas More, you become aware that Utopia (Latin for "Not place") is a deliberate masking of Eutopia ("Beautiful Place"). He also named his main character Raphael Hithloday (Hithloday meaning "Speaker of Nonsense"), then added in "his" argument against Hithloday by including himself as a character in the story defending the British way of life and the Anglican Church. Of course, our real-life Thomas More died as a martyr of the Catholic Church. So here we can see that these things, as well as many other things in the novel, are as farsical and sarcastic as "A Modest Proposal".

Furthermore, why must we attack someone for posting beautiful pictures of nature??? =0(
Zen Buddhist, mostly vegetarian, soon-to-be avid hiker.
alejandrocerv

Personality: Introvert
Favorite book: Siddhartha - Herman Hesse
Favorite movie: Capitalism A Love Story
Things I like: I love music more than any other worldly thing. It is how I connect with God.
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 2

Postby Rachel » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:08 am

Spewsville, I'm at work and can't see the pretty pictures =0( I did have a chuckle at this thread though.
Rachel

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: The Last Battle - C.S.Lewis
Favorite movie: Dogma
Things I like: Reading Biographies and Auto Biographies, day dreaming, cooking and star gazing.
State of Mind or Tendency: Musical
Kudos: 3

Postby mirjana » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi Rachel =0) Not Chessa any more? What was your motivation for change? Is it your real name?
I hope I am not too curious with all these questions? =0/
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Previous

Return to Utopia