This American Life

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: This American Life

Postby Ryan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:55 am

=0X
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 am

=0@ LOL =0@
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby mirjana » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:23 am

GenerousGeorge wrote:As I have mentioned before, Sam Harris in "Letter to a Christian Nation" has hit the nail on the head Dermot. As the quote I remember from somewhere finishes up.... "It takes religion to make good people do bad things."

Voilà, here we are again at the beginning, no chance to step further without religion. =0@
OK, George, just one question. Does it mean that people who doesn't have any religion do not do bad things?
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:56 pm

No, of course they do. <3 Maybe it is not religion that bothers me as much as dogmatic thinking and not being open to new concepts. Question everything is one of my favorite bumper stickers. Once you join the herd, the possibility of doing bad increases with the decreased amount of questioning you do about anything.
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby Sabina » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:19 pm

George, if everyone got a not just better but truly good education, then religion would simply never stand a chance.
Take psychology and philosophy, two subjects that are crucial to thinking and to the development of thinking and learning, and as far as I know they are not even being taught in US high-schools!
So, that explains quite a bit.
When you teach these two subjects you raise thinkers.
In the States on the other hand, they are raising workers! That's what they need....
And the sad part is that people think that just because they have more money they are not this "working class" anymore, and they call getting material possessions the American Dream, when in fact, most people remain workers their entire life. Some of them just have a little more money and a few more "items" than the rest. That's the only difference in most cases.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby HGolightly » Sun May 02, 2010 12:13 am

Sabina raised a good point regarding education:
If everyone got a not just better but truly good education, then religion would simply never stand a chance. Take psychology and philosophy, two subjects that are crucial to thinking and to the development of thinking and learning, and as far as I know they are not even being taught in US high-schools!"

I had been thinking about her comment off and on for the past few weeks. Until, a friend from church randomly called to chat, and later mentioned he had been working with Paramount on a specific documentary involving the education system in America. I was interested, and googled in hopes of gathering a snippet or two; however, it is not due out until the fall. It may provide some great insight for those who are interested (including myself).

I'll try to remember to post it when it comes out, but for now this is all I got! Hm-mm, "got" ... thinkn' that's improper English. Errr yee go ... public education at its finest.
;0)

Waiting for Superman (Documentary)

For a nation that proudly declared it would leave no child behind, America continues to do so at alarming rates. Despite increased spending and politicians’ promises, our buckling public-education system, once the best in the world, routinely forsakes the education of millions of children.

Filmmaker Davis Guggenheim reminds us that education “statistics” have names: Anthony, Francisco, Bianca, Daisy, and Emily, whose stories make up the engrossing foundation of WAITING FOR SUPERMAN. As he follows a handful of promising kids through a system that inhibits, rather than encourages, academic growth, Guggenheim undertakes an exhaustive review of public education, surveying “drop-out factories” and “academic sinkholes,” methodically dissecting the system and its seemingly intractable problems.

However, embracing the belief that good teachers make good schools, and ultimately questioning the role of unions in maintaining the status quo, Guggenheim offers hope by exploring innovative approaches taken by education reformers and charter schools that have—in reshaping the culture—refused to leave their students behind.
HGolightly

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Postby Ryan » Sun May 02, 2010 2:42 am

Cool! Thanks... I am definitely interested to see the film and keep a hope that it can inspire some change.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Previous

Return to Spirited Debate