Think Before You Blink

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Think Before You Blink

Postby Daywhite » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 pm

I realize, because I've talked to friends about this, that few people really care, and the ones who do generally disagree with me. But I still feel I'm right, and here's why.

Turn signals, blinkers, whatever you may call them, do you use them every time you're turning, no matter what? If so, why? And, that is my main question. Why? The reason to use a turn signal, implicit in its name, is to signal to others your intentions. But, what if there are no others around? What if you're turning out of your driveway onto the street, turn signal or no? I ask because I have seen, on many occasions, individuals pull from their drive way, turn signal blinking brightly. Now, you may say, why does it matter? Better safe than sorry. My problem with this is that people use their turn signals the way they live their lives, without thinking. Oh, they'll tell you it's the law, and better safe...well, you know.

Each time I see someone use their turn signal when no one else on the road was affected by their action, I feel as if they have simply given up on life. I feel they have an attitude of, "You tell me what to do, and I'll do it." Which, I feel, is not as far as one may think from, "You tell me who to kill, and I'll do it." Tell me who deserves to be alive, tell me what is best for me, tell me who to vote for, tell me what job I should take, tell me what to eat, tell me when to eat, tell me what to wear, tell me what to buy, tell me who is right and who is wrong, tell me to sit quietly, tell me to close my eyes, tell me to close my mind. Maybe, just maybe, you can begin to understand why this bothers me so.

I use my turn signal when needed, meaning simply I take the time to look, observe what's around me, or not, who may be affected by my turning. If anyone will be, someone ahead of me waiting to pull out, someone behind me needing to know I'm about to slow, someone on the other side of an intersection, I always use my signal, turning it on before I brake to slow. But I can tell you why I used it. I didn't do it because it's written in a book; I didn't do it because most people do. I did it because there was a need for it. I thought about it. The same way I would think about any situation that involved me directly. People seem to live in an Emperor's New Clothes kind of fog, simply following protocol. I'm not going to tell you what a lovely outfit you're wearing if I see you're completely naked (okay, there's a few women I would, but that's another blog).

This bothers me so much because I do see hope in the human mind, even in the American citizen, the same citizen who votes for a presidential candidate because, "He's a good Christian; he got us into the war, I figure he would know how to get us out." There must be hope; there has to be. A mind is malleable. If it has been deformed into retarded shapes, there remains hope it can be molded again into something absent of cobwebs, full of life, full of questions. There is hope; there has to be.

If I were to see one of my nieces accepting as truth that they're not good enough just because someone else told them so, it would piss me off to no end. My nieces are everything; as with all children, they are possibility, they are hope. And, if we exist as a brotherhood of man (which, though we may not, I have to believe we can), everyone is important; everyone has the right, or should, to think for themselves. I cringe to see anyone abused. That is what I consider this blind obedience to be, abuse. It's the people who give up this right so easily who bother me so. People are being told, and convinced, that they can't take care of themselves without asking someone else.

I do wonder, how many of these people are conservatives and how many are liberals? John Stuart Mill said that all conservatives aren't necessarily stupid people, but it did seem all stupid people were conservative. I say this because I feel one definition of a stupid person is one who refuses to think for himself. Which brings us back to turn signals.

You may say this post isn't really about turn signals, but it really is. Yes, there is so much more associated with it, but that is where it starts. And, consequently, where it could stop, or at least begin to change. If people will simply take a moment to look around them before flipping that little switch, maybe they will be a little more likely to look around them before entering the voting booth, before staying with a job they hate, before entering into or staying in a relationship they know isn't right. Maybe they will ask, "Why am I buying this? Why am I eating this? Why am I listening to this? Why am I putting up with this?" And maybe, once they look up, once they take a moment to look around, maybe, just maybe they will realize they do have the power to change their lives, and if one life can be changed, who's to say how many other lives that one change may affect.

We are better than we treat ourselves. We are better than our politicians; hell, we're better than our countries. We are humanity; we have no borders. Why do we continue to settle for so little, to sell ourselves so short, to not only allow others to think for us, but to accept their conclusions unquestioned? I know it's fear, but if we can pursue the fear, chase it into a corner, I feel certain we will find, as in Oz, the fear has no intrinsic power. The only power the fear has is what we give it. And he who giveth can also taketh away. We allow the fear to run free, to dictate our lives. We can stop it. All we need to do is look up from time to time and ask why.
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Re: Think Before You Blink

Postby Sabina » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Daywhite wrote:I realize, because I've talked to friends about this, that few people really care, and the ones who do generally disagree with me. But I still feel I'm right, and here's why.

Daywhite... the only people who could ever disagree with this are the kind of people who live their lives as automatons, which includes using turn signals or blinkers for no other reason than because they are "supposed to".
That may be a bold claim, but I believe that wholeheartedly.

I completely agree with every word you wrote, except maybe the part about the naked women... not sure there is any that I'd care to see, but it's ok to differ on that one aspect.
;0)
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Metatron » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:54 pm

YES, and you are TOTALLY right. There is absolutely no doubt that people love to give up the most basic thing that defines them as humans. Every single day. This problem is as old as humanity itself. It takes so little to change the world, really it's only coming to terms with our own abilities. We have achieved so much, our brains are the coolest things in the world EVER.

The brute force of the human mind is unstoppable, those who give it up don't deserve to call themselves humans. You realize that and thus you're BETTER than anyone who disagrees with this thought!

+ kudos!
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Postby Ryan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:41 pm

Sabina wrote:the only people who could ever disagree with this are the kind of people who live their lives as automatons

Well... I had something to say until I read that...
80S

Just kidding! Or am I?

But seriously! Wonderful post! more an article or essay than a topic for a discussion... of course... who would dare after Sabina condemns them prior to speaking up!
=0@
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:47 pm

Daywhite wrote:...

You may say this post isn't really about turn signals, but it really is. Yes, there is so much more associated with it, but that is where it starts. And, consequently, where it could stop, or at least begin to change. If people will simply take a moment to look around them before flipping that little switch, maybe they will be a little more likely to look around them before entering the voting booth, before staying with a job they hate, before entering into or staying in a relationship they know isn't right. Maybe they will ask, "Why am I buying this? Why am I eating this? Why am I listening to this? Why am I putting up with this?" And maybe, once they look up, once they take a moment to look around, maybe, just maybe they will realize they do have the power to change their lives, and if one life can be changed, who's to say how many other lives that one change may affect.

We are better than we treat ourselves. We are better than our politicians; hell, we're better than our countries. We are humanity; we have no borders. Why do we continue to settle for so little, to sell ourselves so short, to not only allow others to think for us, but to accept their conclusions unquestioned? I know it's fear, but if we can pursue the fear, chase it into a corner, I feel certain we will find, as in Oz, the fear has no intrinsic power. The only power the fear has is what we give it. And he who giveth can also taketh away. We allow the fear to run free, to dictate our lives. We can stop it. All we need to do is look up from time to time and ask why.

I have tears in my eyes. When I meet truth I have always strange body reactions, like goose flesh. This time those are tears.
"This isn't really about turn signals, but it really is. Yes, there is so much more associated with it, but that is where it starts."

This is so much more. This is conscious awakening, when poet and knight tell the message that cannot be misunderstood. I welcome every thought that delivered these words and every word you said. *WAVE*
David gave you kudos for this. I shall do the same. Your first post, which was heart and mind shaking, has deserved that already.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Psychology