The word 'Romantic'

Not just for linguists and logophiles (word lovers)
The exploring, discovering and discussing of words, language & communication from different perspectives.

The word 'Romantic'

Postby theadvertheretic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:37 pm

The categories which it has become customary to use in distinguishing and classifying "movements" in literature or philosophy and in describing the nature of the significant transitions which have taken place in taste and in opinion, are far too rough, crude, undiscriminating -- and none of them so hopelessly as the category "Romantic."
Arthur O. Lovejoy, "On the Discriminations of Romanticisms" (1924)

I remember my days in the English class of Grade 10 examining the imagery created by many a different poets of 16th Century, I still remember my professor's voice resonating in the class which was still at large admiring a poets will to withstand and love everything that passed his. Then in a moment I heard the most astounding thing, "Romantic". I was hurled back through time in my memory and I started to relate that word with the pre-residing meaning of that term. All I could relate it with was a sentiment a lover had while he expressed it.

Come forth my fellow Romantics show us how Romantic can you get! <3 ;0)
महीप

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
theadvertheretic

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Adventurous - male
Kudos: 7

Re: The word 'Romantic'

Postby Sabina » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:48 pm

Romantic... the first and foremost meaning would certainly be the one you already mentioned - "a sentiment a lover had while he expressed it".

Just to make sure - Are you asking us to get creative and find additional connections and relations?

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby theadvertheretic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:57 pm

It was just an inquiry to ask what stands true as a "Romantic". =0)
महीप

theadvertheretic

Postby Ryan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:07 pm

I am not really a romantic person... in the sense that I do not have my own idea(s) of what would be romantic. My romantic actions are based upon my understanding of that which my wife finds to be romantic.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Postby theadvertheretic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:16 pm

=0@
Thank You a lot people. Yes, a romantic now in true modern sense does mean "sentiments of a lover and a candle lit dinner".

Hint - It was a philosophical revolution against 'Enlightenment'. ;0)
महीप

theadvertheretic

Postby Sabina » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Yes Maheep, it is that as well, perhaps what confused us was the topic's title, so we took the word and ripped it out of the philosophical context and connotation. So is your question pertaining more to Romanticism and in relation to Lovejoy's quote?

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby theadvertheretic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Yes, exactly. =0)
महीप

theadvertheretic

My approach to the word 'Romantic', part one

Postby mirjana » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:06 pm

"When you see the face
I shall see the smile"

When one says "Romantic" people almost automatically think about love, candles and things like that. For me, being Romantic means essential approach toward everything in life, which is characterized with certain attributes.

Romantic is universal in the heart as emotions and feelings about everyone and everything are primary force that lead personal reactions;
Romantic is open toward imagination and ready to enter in the endless path of opportunities that are waiting there to be discovered;
S/he will not follow well known paths in expressing personal feelings, but will find the poet in self in personalizing every reaction (body reaction, thought, feeling) s/he wants to express;
Romantic will see beauty in things that many will see the opposite as s/he has been writing the story of The Beauty and the Beast in the heart;
Romantic will not say that something is banal but sublime;
Romantic will transform ordinary into mystery, known into unknown, limited will be transcend into limitless;
Romantic is able to see what is behind the veil;
Like me writing this spontaneously just by following what comes from my hart, romantic let him/her self to the process of endless possibilities because our soul and spirit are endless;
Romantic is longing for what is not there, being aware of that what is around and able to see beauty in that;
Romantic is at home with the concept of eternity as her/his soul knows that is its home;
Romantic feels the best within universal and archetypal because the way s/he expresses personal presence in this life uses eternal symbols which are close to every heart and do not need transmitter;
Romantic knows in the depth of the soul that Love is everywhere and that Love is everything and therefore s/he sees the world with the eyes of Lover. When one sees Love, one becomes Love. When one is Love s/he spreads this nurturing energy all around.

Mirjana
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Randall » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:18 pm

=0) That was beautiful Mirjana
מלכות השמים היא עם ב לך
Randall

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 17

Postby mirjana » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Welcome theadvertheretic =0)
Thank you, Randall. <3
PS to my post about "Romantic" relating to the initial quote of Arthur O. Lovejoy.
As far as I understood the quote, in my first answer to theadvertheretic's post, I explained not only my understanding what romantic is as a person, but my thoughts about the movement as well, which is for me too so much more than sometimes it is described when one tries to define this movement. This word and movement are not easy to define, or not possible at all.
It is not some dogmatic or classified system but the process of opening toward something which is unlimited and therefore undefined. Today even more, as human consciousness has accelerated in comparison to the time back when Romanticism has started or defined as a movement.

Mirjana
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Next

Return to Words & Language