The Social Network - The movie

Visual communication and a modern art form.
Movie tips, inspiring animations and associations.

Re: The Social Network - The movie

Postby Metatron » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Well, all I can say is that I can see your perspective at the matter, still I don't have enough of a reason to delete my account.

I remember the documentary about corporations that we watched and I still agree that the things shown in that film were quite disgusting. However, (maybe for lack of knowledge) I don't want to throw FB into that sack just yet. As long as I don't see how FB is harmful towards me I will keep my account. The only substantial reason for me would be if I saw evidence that FB is misusing personal information - I haven't heard about something like that yet.
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Postby Sabina » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:14 am

Metatron wrote:The only substantial reason for me would be if I saw evidence that FB is misusing personal information - I haven't heard about something like that yet.

What do you mean by misusing?
By being a member and using FaceBook you give them the right to use your personal information and misuse it in any way they would like.

4. You’re giving up a HUGE license

Facebook thrives (in part) because of the content users post there. But did you know that posting content gives Facebook a license to do whatever they want with your content?

By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing.

In plain English, this means you’re giving up copyright control of your material. If you upload a photo to Facebook, they can sell copies of it without paying you a cent. If you write lengthy notes (or import your blog posts!), Facebook can turn them into a book, sell a million copies, and pay you nothing. This deserves careful consideration!

"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Metatron » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:09 am

The article was very interesting - I admit that most of the stuff mentioned in it I had no idea about. I was actually tempted to delete my account but I decided it was enough to delete my drawings. I almost don't post at all so what they don't have they can't steal :P I do have to agree though that this is definitely an ugly part of Facebook.

Thanks for the article.
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Previous

Return to Movies