The Social Network - The movie

Visual communication and a modern art form.
Movie tips, inspiring animations and associations.

The Social Network - The movie

Postby Sabina » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:23 am

I recently watched a movie that has raised some buzz... The Social Network.
A chronicle of the founding of Facebook, the social-networking Web site.

I remembered the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley" about the history of Apple and Microsoft, which I liked, even though it was just a TV movie.

Watching "The Social Network" was a bizarre experience. Throughout the movie, again and again, I felt kind of dirty for having a FaceBook account. For ever having opened one!
The fact that the movie created so much buzz, and what sort of buzz, brought me to the conclusion that its making and reactions are nice evidence of the decline of our species.

I have erased everything from my FB account, and deactivated it that same night. A small step in the right direction. Several other people I know have done the same.

A friend of mine pointed out that some people say that it is not all true, others say it is all true.
Here is a thought....
They made a movie about the youngest billionaire in the world...
They used real names of people and websites...
If it (anything significant in it) wasn't true, would that movie ever have been made? Would we have even heard of the plans to make such a movie?
I don't think so.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: The Social Network - The movie

Postby Metatron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:10 pm

I understand your argument, really. Although to me it's a bit slim. The reason why I don't think Facebook and Zuckerberg in particular minded the movie was made is that it didn't judge. It didn't really say this or that person was right or wrong, it just told a story. I've seen people say it inspired them to start their own internet company - which is a coplete ignoration of the rest of the events.

Also, according to the movie, Zuckerberg really didn't use any of the source code of the Winklevosses, so I wouldn't call it that much of a plagiarism. He did steal some ideas, that is true. But even according to the movie, the most well known features like the "Like" button or "Tagging" came originally from Facebook. Some quotes about originality:

~ Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it. ~
Laurence J. Peter

~ What is originality? Undetected plagiarism. ~
Dean Inge

~ Original thought is like original sin: both happened before you were born to people you could not have possibly met. ~
Fran Lebowitz

So I wouldn't really blame Zuckreberg for this. Also, the reason why Facebook became successful is because there's a hell of an amount of effort in that site - the Winklevosses did have a chance to succeed with HarvardConnection (or ConnectU, as it later became known), but the site was slow, often unresponsive - I have rarely detected such problems with Facebook. We have seen in the past that some social netwroks, despite their huge popularity, went down on the road because of some problems (like MySpace). ConnectU had its chance and they blew it.

And probably the biggest issue of all... The way Zuckerberg got rid of Eduardo Saverin may not have been nice. However, since January this year he owns approximately 5% of FB shares, making him a billionare (the shares are worth 1.1 billion USD - I wouldn't call him a poor guy -list of FB shares) And here's an interview with Saverin himself, sharing his opinions about The Social Network.

All in all, the movie doesn't give me strong enough of a reason to delete my account.
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Postby mirjana » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:17 pm

I did the same as Sabina and I do not regret it. It is the question of a personal feeling. I wouldn´t try to convince anybody in anything neither would I label anybody for not doing the same. We are so different in so many ways including the feeling what is right and what is wrong.

David,
Saverin´s words about the importance of entrepreneurship wouldn´t be my choice either. Creativity yes, but entrepreneurship not necessarily, especially not then when it is on the account of somebody else, which also has become one of devise of today´s economy.

Actually I am grateful to this movie for helping me to do something I have wanted to do for some time even without this knowledge that the movie has brought to me. Why?
I do not like this farm game that people are playing like crazy slowly detaching from the real life and not in the creative way. And it has become a kind of a spreading disease.
There are many photos on Facebook that do not represent creative sharing or a need for friendship or anything of the kind. Contrary. It seems that it is this developing always more in that direction.
I am aware that for true communication people will find the way which is more profound, direct and private.
Besides, most of sharing are simple insignificant sentences with one or two responses the most and from the closest people for whose opinion Facebook is not needed as it would be known and said anyhow. I was also bored by artificially growing lists of so called friends that are giving an illusory impression of personal importance, which is also quite ridiculous to me.

So, all these were my reasons
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Metatron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:51 pm

Well said, Mirjana. However, it would be somewhat hipocritical of me to condemn games like Farmville and the like (I don't play them, but I used to spend a lot of time in World of Warcraf which in many ways is more destructive than those flash jokes on FB).

Of course I understand your reasons as well, Sabina may very well have those reasons too, I only said that the movie itself would not give me a reason to delete my account. I'm rarely on Facebook anyway and the frequency of my comments is even smaller, but I'm glad I can sometimes take a look at how some friends are doing who I don't talk to anymore because we're in different places.

I say Facebook does have positive attributes and not just negatives, just like everything else. It's just a question of usage and some common sense. By this logic you could ban the internet, but you know there are as many postives aspects of it as there are negatives. Why not treat Facebook the same way?

Edit: btw, I'm not saying I agree with everything Saverin said, I was just trying to point out that he doesn't feel negatively about Zuckerberg.

Metatron

Postby mirjana » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:13 am

Metatron wrote:...
I say Facebook does have positive attributes and not just negatives, just like everything else. It's just a question of usage and some common sense. By this logic you could ban the internet, but you know there are as many postives aspects of it as there are negatives. Why not treat Facebook the same way?

Edit: btw, I'm not saying I agree with everything Saverin said, I was just trying to point out that he doesn't feel negatively about Zuckerberg.

I understood your comments about Saverin. I just have made mine too. :)
And, yes, you are right that everything has two poles. That is why I said that I can understand people who made different choice than mine.
When you compare internet and Face book, I cannot compare it. Internet has so many different possibilities and I use what suits me between them. At Facebook you are exposed to only one certain way of expression either you like or not, it is as it is, and that is why, for the time being, it is not my choice.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Metatron » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:26 am

Again, I'd like to differ :P You really have several options to connect with people: chat, the wall, tagging pictures, messages... I think that's plenty. Honestly, I don't know why I'm advocating FB here because I'm not that much of a FB freak, but it's pretty good discussion material. Anyway, on Facebook's Facebook page :P you can also see real-life stories of people who have found their long lost relatives, but I'm sure you'd also hear some negative stories, that's just the way it goes.

But sure, I have chosen to stick with FB because of the positives, you have decided to leave it because of the negatives. Essentially, these follow the same logic so I as I said, I can understand your decision :)

Metatron

Postby Jade » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:30 am

The question is, which ticket would you buy?

theaters.jpg
theaters.jpg (49.9 KiB) Viewed 13566 times
    "A Jade stone is useless before it is processed;
    a man is good-for-nothing until he is educated."

Chinese proverb
Jade

Kudos: 7

Postby Metatron » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:31 am

Inconvenient truth, always :)

Although why you think I picked the other option is beyond me. I presented an argument while aware of both contrasting aspects, you presented a smart picture. Great :)

Metatron

Postby Jade » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Very good, I am glad to hear that for some reason that is beyond me.
Why I posed the question is simple.

People (even smart people, mind you) most of the time prefer the reassuring lie. It doesn't end there though. Not for the smart ones anyway. The best of them will not only choose the lie, but also present an argument to support their choice and sometimes even defend this argument til the bitter end.
They will of course be convinced that they would also choose the truth (or have chosen it?) in any given situation, inconvenient or not.

The majority of people don't live their lives based on what they feel is right and what is wrong. The majority lives based on what is convenient.
Fewer principles, easier choices, more laziness, unfulfilled lives, shallow relationships, endless arguments, and so on.
    "A Jade stone is useless before it is processed;
    a man is good-for-nothing until he is educated."

Chinese proverb
Jade

Kudos: 7

Postby Metatron » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:25 am

Jade wrote:Very good, I am glad to hear that for some reason that is beyond me.
Why I posed the question is simple.

People (even smart people, mind you) most of the time prefer the reassuring lie. It doesn't end there though. Not for the smart ones anyway. The best of them will not only choose the lie, but also present an argument to support their choice and sometimes even defend this argument til the bitter end.
They will of course be convinced that they would also choose the truth (or have chosen it?) in any given situation, inconvenient or not.

The majority of people don't live their lives based on what they feel is right and what is wrong. The majority lives based on what is convenient.
Fewer principles, easier choices, more laziness, unfulfilled lives, shallow relationships, endless arguments, and so on.

Why, am I an ignorant, pitiful man. You totally got me, I have almost no principles (geez, do I have any?), I'm veeery lazy (actually, I am), unfulfilled is an understatement when it comes to my life oh and my relationships are very, very shallow.

Very impressive. Everything you've said perfectly matches with what I've read in that horoscope in that magazine. I'd say your judgment is at least as trustworthy.

Seriously, that the best you got? Talking in general sentences while obviously shoving it in my face, not presenting a SINGLE argument as if I was too unworthy of that. Very good *applause*

Metatron

Next

Return to Movies