The Problem with Implying

Not just for linguists and logophiles (word lovers)
The exploring, discovering and discussing of words, language & communication from different perspectives.

Re: The Problem with Implying

Postby blueStar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:25 am

Getting people to speak with integrity and meaning only what they mean will take some effort on a global scale. I often struggle with this myself. Sometimes I just want to speak my mind as it comes to my awareness but then I become aware that the words I might use could cause further misunderstanding and suffering...Deliberate speech with integrity is something to master all on it's own. Practice practice practice...thankfully the universe provides us with so many opportunities to get it right.
blueStar

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 0

Postby Sabina » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:32 am

blueStar wrote:Practice practice practice...thankfully the universe provides us with so many opportunities to get it right.

=0) That is a very positive and affirmative statement. I agree!

All we need to do is take the opportunities we are handed out and use them to our benefit. By applying this consequently day after day and opportunity after opportunity we gradually benefit others more and more as well.

I hope to hear you speak your mind here, as it comes. If anything is misunderstood it can always be clarified, provided there is a will to do so. Personally I think that is the healthier approach, and like you said "Practice practice practice...", so let's practice. :)
Welcome to DS!
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby blueStar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:50 am

Thank you for your welcome. I became a member of this board based on your initial post about the problem with Implying. It resonated with me. Thank you!
blueStar

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 0

Postby Alvino » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:22 am

Our need to prevent our EARLY death will Never go away.
as for all this assumptions and implying == one move
to LESSEN your personally worries related to WORDS WHICH
only IMPLY == learn that LIFE IS SIMPLE = why respond
to implication with any other tactic then MAKE INQUIRIES to clarify

another """""" cure """" for your problems with implication
is learn the answer to this question:

the horse broke a leg ==== WHAT HAPPEN???

HEY FOLKS the anwer is the horse broke its legs that is what happen.

Finally, if Sabina states I WANT TO GO TO MICHIGAN
and I tell another person == SABINA WANTS TO GO TO MICHIGAN
there is a high possibility that I WOULD BE lying when I said this.

To prevent this possible lie == one should report MORE ACCURATELY

SABINA SAID THAT SHE wants to go to Michigan.

i repeat there is a chance that she MAY NOT REALLY want to go to Michigan

bottom line when FOLKS imply = make life simple JUST pat yourself on your back
for being wise enough to know THAT you do not know what they really meant to say..
amen. No other reaction , especially NO EMOTIONAL reaction is necessary at all
from WISE folks like you all unless you decide to SEEK some answers to questions
you could construct to determine , etc

almost ALL SPEECH is an implication = i ****** implied**** above IN FOUR OR five different ways that I KNOW WHAT THE HECK i am talking about = BUT I REALLY DO NOT know
what the heck I AM TRYING TO SAY.
Alvino

Personality: Ambivert
Kudos: 6

Postby mirjana » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:21 pm

blueStar wrote:Getting people to speak with integrity and meaning only what they mean will take some effort on a global scale. I often struggle with this myself. Sometimes I just want to speak my mind as it comes to my awareness but then I become aware that the words I might use could cause further misunderstanding and suffering...Deliberate speech with integrity is something to master all on it's own. Practice practice practice...thankfully the universe provides us with so many opportunities to get it right.

Hi Blue Star, welcome to DS =0)
I like very much this answer.
"... thankfully the universe provides us with so many opportunities to get it right."
This is very nice and wise.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby GenerousGeorge » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:35 pm

blueStar wrote:

"Getting people to speak with integrity and meaning only what they mean will take some effort on a global scale. I often struggle with this myself. Sometimes I just want to speak my mind as it comes to my awareness but then I become aware that the words I might use could cause further misunderstanding and suffering...Deliberate speech with integrity is something to master all on it's own. Practice practice practice...thankfully the universe provides us with so many opportunities to get it right."

Practice of deliberate speech with integrity of meaning is a really good exercise to make you think about where you "really stand" on a subject. Until we are all perfect at that, I think it is a good practice to accept what people say at "face value" and be just as flexible in that regard as we are committed to practice at saying exactly what we really mean in an easily understood way for whomever reads your comments.

I look forward to your future posts Bluestar...... welcome to the forum.
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Previous

Return to Words & Language