The Phone Call

Short stories, good jokes,
witty sayings and anecdotes

The Phone Call

Postby Sabina » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:04 am

A soldier was finally coming home after having fought in a war.
He called his parents on the phone: "Mom and Dad, I'm coming home, but I have a favor to ask. I have a friend I'd like to bring home with me."
"Sure," they replied, "we'd love to meet him!"
"There's something you should know," the son continued, "he was hurt pretty badly. He stepped on a land mine and lost an arm and a leg. He has nowhere else to go, and I want him to come live with us."
"I'm sorry to hear that, son. Maybe we can help him find somewhere to live."
"No, Mom and Dad, I want him to live with us."
"Son," said the father, "you don't know what you're asking. Someone with such a handicap would be a terrible burden on us. We have our own lives to live, and we can't let something like this interfere with our lives. I think you should just come home and forget about this guy. He'll find a way to live on his own."

At that point, the son hung up the phone and the parents heard nothing more from him.

A few days later they received a call from the police. Their son had died after falling from a building, they were told. The police believed it was suicide. The grief-stricken parents flew there and were taken to the city morgue to identify the body of their son. They recognized him, but to their horror they also discovered something they didn't know. Their son had only one arm and one leg.

THE END
__5__

My thoughts...
If their son would have returned to them in his condition, the parents would have probably loved him and taken care of him just the same, but their true feelings, even if they would have buried them deep inside, would have been as they explained to him over the phone.

We all "teach" the people around us all the time, with everything we say and do, and the responsibility that comes with that shouldn't be underestimated.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: The Phone Call

Postby mirjana » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Sabina wrote:...
My thoughts...
If their son would have returned to them in his condition, the parents would have probably loved him and taken care of him just the same, but their true feelings, even if they would have buried them deep inside, would have been as they explained to him over the phone.

We all "teach" the people around us all the time, with everything we say and do, and the responsibility that comes with that shouldn't be underestimated.

Sabina

So sad and so meaningful story, Sabina. Great that you posted it.
We, people tend to be easy in judging situations and other people, not being aware what kind of messages we send to those around us about our approach toward certain aspects of life, or toward other people. Prejudices, for example, belong to the mind-set which is expressed daily and people are able to read about each other based on the information coming out of such a model.
That is probably the reason why the proverb says:” You reap what you sow". In other words, be aware of your thoughts and your words as they will turn back to you in a very surprising way to make you understand and learn things you haven’t so far.

But, I would say that there is another lesson from the story, which is not to take everything said as an ultimate truth. When we are receptors, we can colour the information we get with our personal energy which is not necessarily the same as the energy or the mind set of the person who sends it. If the person self is self confident and optimistic, then such a person will not be easily influenced to do anything dramatically because of other people words or judgements, even if those were from parents.
We can also say that the son from the story has taken away the opportunity from his parents to help them to learn about something they haven’t had an opportunity to learn, assuming their feelings and behaviour based on their answers over the phone. If he was in the better mind set himself, and not feeling self pity because of that what he experienced, he could act differently and not giving too much value to their words.
There are some questions that come out of the story.
Do we have right to assume everything based just on the words somebody say?
Assuming something bad, don’t we give then additional energy to something that we, self, judge as not good?
Before acting, shouldn’t we first prove the true understanding of somebody’s words?
Recently, it has been another topic here about assumptions and how bad that is.

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to Witticism