The Meaning of Life

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

The Meaning of Life

Postby Sabina » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:20 pm

"What is the meaning of life?" is one of the most intriguing spiritual questions, that many great minds pondered over and some felt they couldn't positively answer.
I think the meaning of life is to be happy and help others be happy.

The statement could be worded to sound more profound, to be sure, but this is the essence though, in my opinion.
The question still remains what makes me happy, and that is not the same for everyone. So rather than asking about the meaning of life, which sounds like an infinitely more complex matter, I will instead ask - How do you achieve happiness?

Sabina

PS: If your answer to the meaning of life is different than the one above, by all means, share!
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: The Meaning of Life

Postby mirjana » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:24 am

Hi Sabina,
How I understand our purpose here in this reality is best described in two other topic that have been already discussing, here in Spirited Debate and in Parapsychology.
Sabina wrote:Well, as I just replied to the Qui-Gon topic, something he said would fit here nicely, I think:

"Without the midi-chlorians life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the Force. They continually speak to us, telling us the will of the Force."
~ Qui-Gon, to Anakin Skywalker

Here is a quote from John Dee's life story:
He nurtured the idea that the human nature is definitely connected to the divine, and that the germs of supernatural abilities lie within every individual.

It sounds like he would agree with Qui-Gon.

So. whether we call it germs, or midi-chlorians, or something else, maybe the answer lies within that. Here is an explanation on what the midi-chlorians are:
They are symbionts with all other living things and without them life could not exist. The Jedi have learned how to listen to and coordinate the midi-chlorians. In order to be a Jedi or a Sith, one must have a high enough concentration of midi-chlorians in one's cells.

We have always had them, so they feel like a natural part of us, and a strong aspect of our individuality, when it could actually be that - as well as the opposite of that.
The opposite in the sense that they are not only an aspect of our individuality, but also our link to the collective consciousness, and more.

Sabina

Yes, we have always had them, but only when awaken we can follow the traces to the soul and understand the reason for being here. As connected with Divine, our soul knows why it was needed to come. When awakened we realize that reason. Understanding the reason we become free in accepting life and everything around us naturally and without control, in the way like the whole nature around us does it.
Therefore the topic Awakening is a kind of answer too, showing possibilities to free our mind and heart from the chains of conditions and system.

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Story about the Fisherman

Postby Sabina » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:54 am

First a short story. My reply continues below.

__4__

A boat docked in a small village. A tourist complimented the fisherman on the quality of his catch. “How long did it take you to get those?” he asked.

“Not so long,” said the fisherman.

“Then why didn’t you stay out longer and catch more?” asked the tourist.

The fisherman explained that his small catch was quite enough to meet his needs and feed his family.

“So what do you do with the rest of your time?” asked the tourist.

“I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evening, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar and sing a few songs. I have a full life.”

The tourist interrupted. “I have an degree in business and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat.”

“And after that?” asked the fisherman.

“With the extra money the bigger boat will bring, you can buy a second boat and then a third boat, and then more until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants. Pretty soon you could open your own plant. You could leave this little village and move to a large city! From there you could direct your whole enterprise.”

“How long would that take?” asked the fisherman.

“Twenty — perhaps twenty-five years,” replied the tourist.

“And after that?”

“Afterwards? Well, my friend,” laughed the tourist, “that’s when it gets really interesting. When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!”

“Millions? Really? And after that?” said the fisherman.

“After that you’ll be able to retire, live in a beautiful place near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take siestas with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends.”

__4__

Mirjana wrote:Therefore the topic Awakening is a kind of answer too, showing possibilities to free our mind and heart from the chains of conditions and system.

The fisherman is probably free of the system as well, even though he didn't spend years to contemplate how to free himself from it.
He probably also doesn't contemplate what the meaning of life is. Probably... as he seems to be perfectly content with his life. Everything in it makes sense.
For him, there is no need to ask questions, like "Why are we here?". It probably doesn't even cross his mind, simply because life makes sense.

So maybe, maybe.... we, the highly "civilized" people, only ask ourselves such questions, contemplate life, etc. because our life does not make sense to us.
So... we are trying to wake up from it.
The questions are an attempt to wake up and live a life that makes more sense.

What do you think?

Sabina
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby Ryan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:08 am

Ok... I was going to argue this no matter what, but....yeah... I can't. Sorry.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby mirjana » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:22 am

Simple people who live in harmony with nature are close to the Divine. Being close to nature, they are apart from the system.
There is a proverb that a gardener knows the essence of life being in connection with nature and in the silence of breathing contemplating his soul. The same with fisherman or Shepard.
It is not important what path is taken as long as it takes us to the goal, to realize the essence or purpose of being here. His was in fishing, gardener´s is in gardening, philosopher´s in philosophising...
Maybe the question could be: When have you been happy and aware of that happiness knowing the reason that you feel like that?
I had few enlightening situations in my life and the kind of happiness I felt then is hardly to express in words. These situations are connected with Plato´s Cave in the sence of realizations of the Truth about some things and the way how I used to think about them until that moment of realizations.
My three Gnostic Intensive experiences and answers I have gotten as my truth coming from the deepest part of my soul about Who am I, Who is another human being, What is life and realization of OM belong to such moments. From then on I was not the same.
The next was neutralization of my Primes(two polarities that estimated my life game) and the last was encounter with my soul in the process of Sunjata.
Just knowing that what is here is not all that is, that is great realization of both, happiness and purpose.

Mirjana
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Alvino » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:15 am

SABINA:
I hope you will HELP me by pondering and considering how your life -daily and weekly, etc

would change - how would it be passed each day IF YOU CHANGED YOUR GOAL
or purpose of life from BEING = happiness to being CONTENT as the goal.

i would consider TIME spent wanting or doing this or that.
and i would consider how much time would you save merely BEING your goal instead of
working to achieve your goal.
i would consider HOW much of your daily or entire life would U SPEND
BEING happiness or being CONTENT.

WAS THE fisherman happy OR CONTENT = I wonder

what else DID you consider while pondering my question
and deciding on the answer.

thanks AL
Alvino

State of Mind or Tendency: Angelic
Kudos: 6

Postby Ryan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:23 am

I would say happiness and contentedness are the same thing. If you watch a child playing... perfectly happy... it is not thinking about the past or the future... it is completely in the moment.... perfectly content.

I would also say that the state of wanting does not necessarily exclude the state of being. If one wants to be sad they will find all kinds of reasons to be sad and so it goes for the contrary. However, upon further thought...can you have the state of "being" without first "wanting" it?
Ryan

Postby Sabina » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:29 pm

I agree that happiness and contentment are the same thing.

Ryan wrote:However, upon further thought...can you have the state of "being" without first "wanting" it?

You mean... Can you be without wanting to be?
Is that the question?
Sabina

Postby Ryan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:35 pm

Yes... logically... how can you be something you didn't first want to be?
Ryan

Postby Sabina » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:46 pm

There are different theoretical answers to that question (if I understood the question correctly).

Because someone else (God, etc.) wanted you to be that - for example.

or

Because your path brought you there. If every soul has a path, which is shaped by its decisions and the resulting consequences, then who and what you are at the moment is only a reaction and not a conscious decision.
Sabina

Next

Return to Spirited Debate