The Journey of an Eco-Village

What should the ideal community or society be like?
Thoughts and ideas on making the utopian idea reality.

The Journey of an Eco-Village

Postby Ryan » Sat May 01, 2010 10:09 am

I have come across this site that is showing the stages and development of a group in founding their Eco-Village. It is definitely not an easy task and very interesting as a process. It is important to note that these villages are being funded by government grants and therefore there are guidelines and red tape galore. None-the-less an interesting journey so far and I, for one, am looking forward to seeing how it all develops.

This is a link to the first video out of twenty-seven. The others can be navigated by clicking on the numbers in the green bar slightly above the video...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 50

Re: The Journey of an Eco-Village

Postby HGolightly » Sat May 01, 2010 10:47 pm

Ryan, great post!! This morning I was able to watch 15 episodes. It seemed that the reoccurring theme here; apart, from the obvious (sustainable living) was that of having and being apart of community, getting out of the rat race, etc.. Thanks for positing this, as it was very interesting.

I also look forward to seeing how this progresses for them. I've heard a bit of that is going on here in the PNW, as well as Oregon too.
[El] [Pd]
HGolightly

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Postby Daywhite » Sun May 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Great find, Ryan. I've been interested in this idea since I was a kid, and been researching it, however lightly, for years. So much about it appeals to me.

Yes, Holly, part of my big attraction to the PNW and Oregon, in particular, is this type of attitude, more people open to it, exploring it. Yet another reason to like the PNW <3
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby Ryan » Mon May 03, 2010 2:14 am

Yeah... I'm liking the whole idea myself... but I don't think I can do the whole government funding aspect of it... can't deal with the bureaucracy and BS. I would much rather start off with Bunches of land... building permission, and a plan... with keeping in mind possible expansions due to others joining in... immediately or at a later date...

I would love to do something along those lines... but my first thought is where...?!?!

Ideally... warm climate... if there is a significant season called winter... in my opinion it should be a mild winter... less to have to consider as far as heating and makes growing food more simple... Also, it would make the whole building process more relaxed and less taxing.

Sun light is important... because there are less mechanical parts with solar panels to generate electricity as opposed to wind generators and it is also good for heating water... but not too much sunlight to where there is a problem with droughts...

Ground water is a major concern... got to be able to get fresh clean water with very little (preferably none) or no treatment needed.

Good top soil would be a major plus... but it can certainly be affected if need be... it would just minimize the variety of things that could be grown for a little while... of course being that trees are very important... well it almost goes hand in hand with a nice top soil... so... it shouldn't really be an issue...

Shall we explore the possibilities?
Ryan

Postby Sabina » Mon May 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Ryan wrote:Shall we explore the possibilities?

I would really like that...

Ryan wrote:I would love to do something along those lines... but my first thought is where...?!?!

Like you already said, climate is one important factor.
Another is that it shouldn't be anywhere where there is a major crises, obviously..
The crime rate in that country shouldn't be out of the ordinary, or at least not above the ordinary.
The prices for land should be affordable...
As for me, I would like there to be water nearby, some kind of water (sea, lake, ocean, creek,...)

South Europe seems like a nice area... Being that it is Europe comes with various pluses, and since it is the Southern part the climate is nice as well.
Land can be affordable or can be very expensive. I think you have to know where to look, and then also look there.

I would also like to hear others' thoughts and opinions.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby dermot » Mon May 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Look no further than Cloggernaugh West people!

Its about as organic as you can get, lots of eco friendly vegetation, good soil for growing vegetables, fresh water from the mountains, a river passing to the sea with salmon and trout, temperate climate, lots of fresh rain, did i mention rain, empty fields in all directions, building costs at an all time low..for good reason ie recession, we are unlikely to go to war with anyone anytime...and they would not notice if we did anyway.

Shall i erect some tents as temporary dwellings, might need to shoo the sheep away, just give me a few days notice...
d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Kudos: 52

Postby Daywhite » Mon May 03, 2010 9:25 pm

Definitely worth exploring. There are people all around the world doing just this. It's a tradition of humanity, always seeking to get back to the land, trying to negate the gravitational forces exerted by society, always trying to pull everyone in close.

I would say it won't be easy, but, at the same time, I have no doubt, it won't be nearly as hard as we may imagine. We have a nice four-person base to start from.

Researching the best place is obviously important. As I mentioned, one of the big reasons I've always liked the PNW in the US so much is there is a history in the area of people doing this, some that are long standing, and still functioning today. Of the many places I've visited, I've honestly never found a place, as far as land, environment, climate, etc., I liked as much as the Northern California area. Many parts of Oregon would be perfect, as well. With the history of the back to nature, eco-village movement in the area, there should be relatively easy access to individuals knowledgeable in this, simply for research and help.

There are many problems in the US, so that is a consideration, as well. But, if we are going to live basically off the grid, there are communities out there that do make this work, who live pretty much unaffected by most societal concerns.

I have no doubt there are many great areas in Southern Europe, Crete being one of the first that pops into my mind. No matter where we may decide to pursue this, there are going to be problems; it's simply a matter of working out the pluses and minuses. It's not something that has to be decided tonight, but is well worth pursuing.
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby Sabina » Mon May 03, 2010 10:52 pm

dermot wrote:...lots of fresh rain, did i mention rain...

Dermot, what a lovely ad!
It all sounds perfect, except for the above, and weather is kind of important. We could come by for a visit though.. maybe the rain in Ireland is different than the rain elsewhere? How is Ireland doing tree-wise? My impression, from photographs, etc. is that there aren't so many.

Could you imagine under any circumstances moving to the South?
Or, is that a too personal question? =0o
It almost seems that way to me, but only almost, which is why it is still there.

France seems like a very good option as well.. there is lots of land, good prices, beautiful nature. Yes, they speak French there... we could learn. We don't need to be able to write books in French or anything like that, so that's a good thing.

Italian is supposedly a super-simple language. I know there are many people nuts over Italy... I have been there, but not really, in other words, it doesn't really count.

So scouting the South would be nice!
Spain - France - Italy - ...?
Those 3 have more trees, especially France & Italy, and all 3 have water, warm climates, etc.
I am mentioning trees because they are an important resource if you want to be self-sustainable.

Still, just brainstorming...
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Ryan » Tue May 04, 2010 12:05 am

Hmmm... I can't do the US... different reasons...

1. No social health insurance (stories to come)
    2. The patriot act
    3. The patriot act
    4. The patriot act
    5. When I know that they passed Bovine somatotropin (BST, BGH, POSILAC, rBST, or rBGH) as being safe to use and other countries have found that it isn't and that it is still being used... I do not trust the ground water or the air there...
    6. I wouldn't want to become the next Waco incident...

My stories as to health insurance... in the States... I have went extremely long periods of time without getting teeth fixed simply because I couldn't afford it. I have came close to insanity due to the pain in some cases.... here... I never have to worry about it... I can go get my teeth fixed without having a cent in my pocket.

Three years ago I suffered from extreme back pain... not due to any accident... I hadn't any idea what the problem was... spent a little time stretched out... but the problem just got worse. I went to our family doctor. He said he thinks it is a herniated disk, and sent me to get an MRI, and until the scans came back he prescribed me something for pain and told me to keep it on ice.

The scans came back, and sure enough, the disk was pressing the nerves in my lower back against my spine. Our family doctor (is great... he is a sports doctor) sent us to a certain hospital and said that simply as routine they are going to try and get me to do physical therapy but not to let them. He said it is important I get the surgery. And just as he said, the doctor tried to get me to go that route... so I asked him... "You, as a doctor, when would you get the surgery opposed to doing the physical therapy?" He looked at me and then told me to stand up and walk across the room on my heels. Toes pointed up... I couldn't hold my left foot up when I put weight on it... totally freaky! I was already experiencing nerve damage from the disk pressing the nerves against the spine and my left foot was paralyzed. So! I was immediately admitted into the hospital, had surgery that night, and out of the hospital two days later. With one week of follow up physical therapy.

All that cost me less than $25... and that was for the 3 day stay in the hospital room and prescriptions for pain killers... the surgery, the doctors' visits, the MRI didn't cost me a cent.

Just the peace of mind that comes from knowing... any problem is taken care of and it isn't going to cost you a cent is priceless... and I would have to have my head examined to give that up...

SO! Let's see... so far we have
    1. Cloggernaugh West
    2. Spain
    3. France
    4. Italy
Right?

Ok! So let's make a check list... things to check into as far as each of the possible locations are concerned. Such as...I named some of the basics that I think are pretty important, but also building restrictions should be checked out, right? As far as low impact housing what are the standards that have to be met? Any other ones any of you can think of???
Ryan

Postby mirjana » Tue May 04, 2010 3:10 pm

Ryan,
Good elaboration of positive and negative points!
And not a bad list for start Ryan.
How about Dartmoor http://www.deepspirits.com/exploration/earth-pilgrim-a-year-on-dartmoor-t453.html?
Maybe to give a thought to Istria too...
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Next

Return to Utopia