The Hero within Us

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

The Hero within Us

Postby Sabina » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Joseph Campbell recognized archetypes in mythological and folk tale heroes . He recognized the hero archetype and the hero's quest. Building upon Jung's and Campbell's work Carol Pearson expanded on these archetypes as heroes that live within us. More precisely, we are the hero who is on the journey (life) and go through different stages. Understanding the stages can help us to better understand our own journey and where we are currently at.

Stage 1: Preparation

The archetypes of preparation can be seen as connecting with the inner child (Innocent and Orphan) and the inner parent (Caregiver as nurturing parent; Warrior as protecting parent). These four archetypes tend to be active in young people. Together, these archetypes provide an inner "family" that makes the individual less dependent upon the health of the family of origin. When all four are awakened in an individual, he/she is generally able to move on to the next stage: The Journey.

Stage 2: Journey

These archetypes of metamorphosis personify the process of seeking out new options; tearing down what no longer serves; committing to people, values, and activities; and creating new forms. They are expressed most often in individuals (adolescence, midlife, retirement, etc.) in times of transition, and all of them want to maximize personal freedom and fulfillment. When all four are awakened within individuals or organizations, they become ready for the next stage: The Return.

Stage 3: Return

When the archetypes of the return are activated, people know who they are at a deeper level than they once did. Now they are motivated to seek out ways to use their gifts and perspectives to make a difference in the world. They no longer yearn to be taken care of, and they do not blame others or find excuses. Rather, they live and work in ways that express their values, commitments, and talents in a socially responsible manner. These archetypes generally are awakened and in balance within psychologically mature individuals able not only to benefit from the rights of living in a free society, but also to undertake the responsibilities of active, engaged citizenship.
Source: TheHeroWithin.com

__1__

Stage 1

Caregiver
Primary Goal: To help others
Fears: Being selfish
Strengths: Compassionate, nurturing and generous
Weakness: May become co-dependent or try to take care of everyone and everything
Motto: Love your neighbor as yourself

Orphan
Primary Goal: To protect himself from being hurt, exposed or abandoned
Fears: Being used
Strengths: Empathy and realistic attitude
Weakness: May develop a victim mentality
Motto: Life is suffering

Warrior
Primary Goal: To win in whatever situation he/she encounters
Fears: Being weak or vulnerable
Strengths: Courageous and disciplined
Weakness: May see others as enemies or think in strict black/white terms
Motto: Where there’s a will, there’s a way

Innocent
Primary Goal: To be safe, loved, cherished and included
Fears: Being abandoned
Strengths: Trusting and optimistic
Weakness: May become dependent on others
Motto: Life is joy

Stage 2

Creator
Primary Goal: To express him/herself in an individual and unique way
Fears: Being unreal or mediocre
Strengths: Individuality and curiosity
Weakness: May overload his/her life with constant new projects
Motto: I create, therefore I am

Lover
Primary Goal: To gain the bliss of true love
Fears: Being alone and unloved
Strengths: Passionate and committed to his/her relationships
Weakness: May smother other people or enter/stay in bad relationships to avoid being alone
Motto: Life is love

Destroyer
Primary Goal: To effect change for the better (as they see it)
Fears: Being powerless or ineffectual
Strengths: Humility and outrageousness
Weakness: May be ruthless, careless of their own safety, may put others in danger too
Motto: Rules are made to be broken

Seeker
Primary Goal: To find his/her true purpose in life
Fears: Being the same as everyone else, conformity
Strengths: Autonomy and ambition
Weakness: May reject help from others and become isolated
Motto: To thine own self be true

Stage 3

Ruler
Primary Goal: To create order and structure
Fears: Being chaotic or being overthrown
Strengths: Responsibility and leadership
Weakness: May dominate others
Motto: Power isn’t everything, it’s the only thing

Jester
Primary Goal: To enjoy life for its own sake
Fears: Being not-alive
Strengths: Joy and freedom
Weakness: May be prone to laziness or dissipation
Motto: You only live once

Magician
Primary Goal: To transform his/her life and the world around him/her
Fears: Being the cause of unintended consequences
Strengths: Personal power and influence with others
Weakness: May become manipulative and be feared
Motto: I make things happen

Sage
Primary Goal: To find truth
Fears: Being false
Strengths: Wisdom and objective viewpoint
Weakness: May put forth his/her version of the truth as the only one
Motto: The truth will set you free

__1__

There you go.
It should be entertaining, at the least... maybe more. ;0)
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: The Hero within Us

Postby mirjana » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:55 pm

Sabina,
I do not know for others, but I can tell for myself, it is not easy to follow your creativity. I haven't managed to read in depth the last beautiful psychology section The Human Mind, and you have already posted something new, interesting and calling for deeper research. <3
Beautiful topic. I love Joseph Campbell and enjoyed very much his book The Hero with a Thousand Faces. I use an opportunity to suggest this book for DS books.
What kind of interaction do you expect from this topic?
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:02 am

mirjana wrote:What kind of interaction do you expect from this topic?

I didn't really put any thought into that. =0o

Let's see... I wouldn't necessarily suggest that we proclaim our current stage publicly, as that may be uncomfortable for some, possibly for different or even opposite reasons.

How about sharing where we see each other, or is that even more uncomfortable?
How important is comfort really? =0@ ;0)

The ramblings above translate as: I don't know, but I am open to everyone's suggestions!
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby Daywhite » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:10 pm

The ramblings above translate as: I don't know, but I am open to everyone's suggestions!

Had to comment simply on the fact that you called what you wrote "ramblings." Yep, I understand well ;0)

As for myself (as you say, How important is comfort really?), I think in Stage One, I was a Caregiver (which relates very closely to my childhood (material for another discussion)). I had aspects of other types, a bit of orphan, a tablespoon of warrior, and maybe a dash of the innocent. But, I think Caregiver fits overall.

Stage Two, the Creator and Seeker, BIG time, fears, strengths, weakness, all of each.

Stage Three, I would say mostly Sage. I may have touches of the others, but I think mostly Sage.

Thanks; I enjoyed that. Yet another chance to open myself up a bit. Who's next?
"Sometimes you do it to save your own life, not anybody else's. That's mostly why I write. I'm not trying to change anybody else's life or the world; I'm trying to keep from blowing my own brains out. That's the real point." -- Guy Clark
Daywhite

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 18

Postby mirjana » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:40 pm

Myself through these three stages
Stage 1
Primary: Caregiver with something of Warrior; fears of Warrior; strengths of Caregiver, but with a nice touch of other types as well; weakness of Caregiver with a little bit of Orphan; Motto of Caregiver and Innocent.
Stage 2
Primary: Lover and Seeker; fears of Destroyer and Seeker; strengths of Lover and Creator; weakness of Lover and Seeker; motto of Creator and Lover.
Stage 3
Primary Jester and Magician; fears of Magician; strengths of Jester and Sage; weakness of Magician and motto of Magician.
Thank you Sabina. It was a nice self journey, I like it.
=0)
mirjana

Postby mirjana » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:30 pm

Sabina wrote:Joseph Campbell recognized archetypes in mythological and folk tale heroes . He recognized the hero archetype and the hero's quest. Building upon Jung's and Campbell's work Carol Pearson expanded on these archetypes as heroes that live within us. More precisely, we are the hero who is on the journey (life) and go through different stages. Understanding the stages can help us to better understand our own journey and where we are currently at.

These are nice illustrations for the hero's journey.
The Matrix - Joseph Campbell Monomyth

The Hero's Journey Through Many Movies
mirjana

Postby Sabina » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:35 pm

Describing life through the stages is a nice idea. A share your story type of thing.
My life story (primary influences) would be as follows.....

In my childhood I was mostly a Stage 1 Warrior, mixed with a little bit of Stage 2 Creator and Stage 2 Seeker in my teens.

Then Stage 2 Lover (without the corresponding weakness!)

Next I was a Stage 2 Creator, with the corresponding weakness as very very pronounced, then Stage 3 Magician.

Now - Stage 3 Sage.

Who's next?
Sabina

Return to Psychology