The Box

Visual communication and a modern art form.
Movie tips, inspiring animations and associations.

The Box

Postby mirjana » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:47 pm

Tonight my husband and I have watched “The Box”, written and directed by Richard Kelly, (famous by his cult film Donnie Darko ) with Cameron Diaz and James Marsden who plays a couple who receives a box from a mysterious man who offers them one million dollars if they press the button sealed within the dome on top of the box.
The moral behind is that by pressing it they will kill somebody somewhere in the world they do not know.
It is a choice with global consequences in comparison to the movie “Indecent Proposal”, which was about fatal influence of wrong choice to the personal relationship.
“The Box” shows where do we direct our evolution by taking care only about little personal world and not being aware of the fact how deeply we are all interconnected and that there is no way to do anything damaging without further consequences.
It is also a very good illustration for the cosmic law:” As you sow, so shall you reap”.
After watching it I remember a title of one poem, "Even a fall can be Fly", which is definitely better choice than finding excuses for the wrong choices made in the moment when it seems that our dreams are destroyed.
If anybody of DS members have seen this movie, I am curious about your comment.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: The Box

Postby Sabina » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:05 am

I've watched it a few weeks ago! =0)
I really liked it. In the first few minutes I wasn't convinced by their acting and representing of a happy couple, but as soon as that was over, the story itself pulled me in. I loved the idea and the thought put into the movie.

The best line of all was when he came to get the box back from them, explaining that another couple would get the same opportunity, and that it will definitely be someone they do not know.
The consequences of that single statement... meaning that since that other couple doesn't know them, they (or someone they know) may be the person who dies... that was great. And they understood it too.

I must say... I did notice one detail that bugged me...
    Spoiler coming up, so don't read this part if you haven't watched the movie!
    Have you noticed that in all the instances, it was always the woman who pushed the button?
    It's like the whole original sin.... I didn't much care for that, because for me it was clear at the very beginning that I would not push it, regardless of how nice it would be to have that money. The money could never be the motivation. The only thing that possibly could be were if someone's life was in danger and this was the only way to save it... but even in that case, the act of "violence" would be directed towards the wrong person, an innocent person, so I don't think I could do it even then.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Return to Movies