The Beauty of Diversity and Variety

What should the ideal community or society be like?
Thoughts and ideas on making the utopian idea reality.

The Beauty of Diversity and Variety

Postby Sabina » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:43 pm

A proverb says..
"Variety is the spice of life"
Ok, sure.

A French philosopher and writer, Michel de Montaigne said:
"There never were in the world two opinions alike, no more than two hairs or two grains; the most universal quality is diversity"
I find that a little too extreme...

We are all different, some of us more than others. Hence terms such as "soulmate" or a "kindred spirit". But is that the end of it? Should it be?
Imagine the following dialogue...

Person A: I think that *insert significant opinion here*
    Person B: Hmm.. I don't think so. I see it rather as *insert significant opposite opinion here*. Why do you think the way you do?
    Person A: I just do. We are different, that's the beauty of life.

What is your opinion about this dialogue?
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: The Beauty of Diversity and Variety

Postby mirjana » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:47 pm

First, I like the topic. I also like Montaigne’s quote. And there is a little of synchronicity about this topic that has happened lately in my life. Here in Croatia it was a very good TV Talk about the same topic. Based on different national, religious or ideological believes people allow themselves to do terrible things to those who are different than themselves. It happens to extreme during the challenging time like wars. Therefore they were talking about different examples of terrible behavior during the last war here and after the war as a result, just because of such differences. And there was a brilliant writer as guest who said something similar to Montaigne, like the beauty of this world is in its diversity and this starts in respecting different opinion. I share his opinion. The way I understood your article “The Invitation to Eternity” goes in the same line as this quote of Montaigne. http://www.deepspirits.com/phantasmagoria/essays/an-invitation-for-eternity.php
“When we accept that in our essence we are all the same, regardless of spiritual belief, race, gender, or favorite ice-cream flavor, then a very new and different kind of evolvement begins, for all of us. Nothing large has to change. Just accept everyone starting today and allow love to unfold across the globe. “

As about dialogue, it is hard to imagine that it immediately would come to the point to reject the answer to the question why. But, even if this would happen, there are many reasons that could stay behind and I am not able to speculate about them. Personally I give answers, at least until the certain point. What point each one of us consider as a final also belong to personal freedom for choice and I do not insist when I notice that the other party is not ready to answer.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: The Beauty of Diversity and Variety

Postby dermot » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:06 pm

Sabina, i was kind of troubled when i read the quotes and you asked my opinion on the idea that its ok to simply justify an answer being different by 'we are all different'.

Our lives are mostly different, our experiences unique, our ability to 'see' has been determined by multiple variables.....based largely on our past.

Two people viewing a car accident hardly ever recount the same accident, their memory is influenced by past experiences, and how they are as individuals.

I think what troubles me is that its lazy, its one of these throw away lines people use to close of the possibility of deeper discussion, and its self serving in that they are saying they are not open to another opinion, or a different viewpoint.

It gets us nowhere if we cant fundamentally agree on our shared humannes, if we seek to separate ourselves from others rather than embracing our shared nature then we create division rather than empathy.
We step away from Love, Truth, Beauty every time we seek to make ourselves different. It seems like ego play when we use words that dont support familiarity.

It bothers me and it probably shouldnt =0X
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Return to Utopia