Take a walk...........

Exercise your mind through 'what if' scenarios, moral
dilemmas, brain teasers & other playful ways.

Re: Take a walk...........

Postby dermot » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:02 pm

Listen you lot.........

Whilst you debate the necessity in carrying some metaphysical torch or other, this poor, dreamy, scantily clad, young woman has been hanging around catching her death of cold whilst waiting for some love struck, fish smelling, half sozzled wanna be sailor to come to her aid. She had in mind to belt the silly bugger over the head with a bottle, take his bulging..wallet, paddle the silly canoe back to distant shore, and make for the local hot spots. Dressed like this always worked in the past, no reason it should'nt now.

Please, deal with the torch thing ....and have a heart!
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Postby Sabina » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:08 am

dermot wrote:...this poor, dreamy, scantily clad, young woman has been hanging around catching her death of cold whilst waiting for some love struck, fish smelling, half sozzled wanna be sailor to come to her aid.

Dear Dermot,

Let's say I would want to elaborate on the story.. how do you see me taking this to the next level? Do I become the fish smelling, half sozzled wanna be sailor??

B0)

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Heidi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:08 am

Ryan, there are a few things in life that scare me, like spiders and mountains especially at night.

While I would feel really comfortable walking all alone, along a beach at night, the idea of going up a dark mountain scares me a lot. That's why I would like to have someone else with me. I would feel more secure.

Somewhere on this site, I've seen a picture of a very beautiful chair on a really nice green plateau, but the sight of the mountain behind it, seems so very scary!!!

I know these fears may sound unreasonable, but I just can't help it!
Heidi

State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 17

Postby dermot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Dear Sabina,
the others are deciding on the merits/or not of bringing some light to bear on this suddenly sordid tale. Where oh where do we take this story now?
I dont see you as a sailor of any discription ,or indeed myself as a shivering goose pimpled latter day vagrant cleopatra. Given the impassse, and the fact that down the path a little are two reluctant lotharios debating on whether it would be good and proper to carry a torch (probably 2) given the dark night and the danger of tripping up or being accosted by highwaymen or worse, i propose discretion to be the better part of valour and propose that i put on some thermals and you rid yourself of that bag of frozen fish and we abandon ship in favour of some frothy Cappuccino's in the local den?
that was a long sentence.
d.
dermot

Postby Sabina » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:00 pm

Discussions about light sources can be interesting! I wouldn't dismiss them so rashly... however, I must admit that I've heard rumors about the Cappuccinos in the local den. They even serve a Cappuccione there, so I won't say no to that.

Heidi, how would you like to join us for a frothy Cappucino or Cappuccione?

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby GenerousGeorge » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:38 am

Carefully putting my tin can full of night crawlers and my old spinning road in the back of the boat, I started rowing toward the spot in the lake I had scouted out in the daylight. I settled into a nice steady rowing motion and the boat fairly leaped across the still waters with each stroke of the oars, the steady lapping of the water on the bow of the boat was almost hypnotic. The little whirlpools left by each oarstroke and reflected by the bright full moon were strung out behind me looking like some kind of alien trail disappearing off into the night.

Suddenly my reverie was broken..... I was here! The huge boulder in the water where the current from a large stream entering the lake rustling swiftly around the boulder told me I had arrived. Placing the old boat upstream of the boulder I threaded 2 large night crawlers on a #4 hook I cast slightly upstream of the boulder so that the current would wash them into the deep dark hole on the other side of the boulder. I could almost picture the night crawlers bouncing of the gravel bottom and then settling into the deep still wonders in the shelter of the giant boulder.

Suddenly my line telegraphed the slightest gentle touch as a giant Brown trout ghosted up behind my bait. My line stopped, then started slowly moving upstream, he had it and the line started to move quickly upstream like it had a life of its own.

I closed the bail on my reel, let the line tighten up and then firmly set the hook. The water behind the rock boiled and then erupted as an enormous Brown Trout catapulted itself two feet in the air and landed back in thr still dark water like a cannon had been shot directly into it. The water was still frothing when he immediately went airborne again, no sooner would his big broad tail hit the water than he would explode into the air again.

My God, I thought to myself, he must be 15 pounds as he leaped broadside across the water in front of me, the red spots on his side looked as big as quarters. I prayed the old lne would hold up. The biggest fish I had ever hooked on this old rod before was not 1/4 the size of this bemoth.

After what seemed an eternity, the old trout started slowing down and his jumps only brought him halfway out of the water . Finally I was able to lead him to a shallow sandy spot, reach into his giant mouth and pull him out of the water. What a beauty I thought as I bent over and slid him back into the dark waters, he was exhausted but one flip of his broad tail and he disappeared into the depths from whence he had come.

Very shortly the water was still again and there was no sound except an Owl swooshing by on giant wings looking for an unwary rodent or frog. Then it was just me resting in the back of the old boat, from which scenes like this were indeliby recorded in the weathered wood.

Soon it was time for the row back and as I walked into the light of the campfire I thought, what an awesome God has created this world, this adventure, this journey.
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Postby dermot » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:51 am

The sound of sand grating against the wooden planks of the old boat was stark against the complete silence all around.
I drew in the oars and took the picnic basket from the bow, pulling the boat up a little further on the sand. Under a shady tree stood the charred remains of the last visit by a fisherman. A circle of rocks and some firewood were enough invitation for me to get a little plume of smoke winding its way towards the heavens.
This was the best part of the day, when relaxation came easily, and alone. It was easy to sit and stare at the beauty all around, gaze at the clouds and watch the birds play with the breeze. Filling the blackened kettle with water, i placed it on the firewood, now a healthy glowing blaze. Now for the hard boiled egg i thought, i unwrapped it , broke the shell into little pieces and gently peeled them off.
A light shake of salt and then a mouthful, followed by Mrs. Healy's famous brown bread smothered with salted butter.
The kettle began to boil, and throwing a teabag into my old tin mug, i gently stirred it and let it sit.
The sandwiched today were the crusty brown bread with pickled onions and some red cheddar cheese. Nothing, nothing tasted the way the freshly brewed tea mixed with coarse bread and the contrast of cheese and pickle.
High on the mountain the low rain cloud settled. Little drops swelled the tiny stream at source, eventually gathering force before spilling itself into the lake. i watched captivated and aware of the simplicity of it all and wondered at the times when life didnt seem this easy.
I resolved, as i always did, to make more of an effort to expend less. High overhead the cloud had wandered my way, and it was beginning to rain. Little drops pattered on the water, and just as i watched, an enormous brown trout rolled over a mayfly.
Swallowing the last crust of bread i raised a toast to my days beauty, it was time to go.
dermot

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:15 am

Fishermen are closer to God.
GenerousGeorge

Postby dermot » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:21 pm

something to do with their soles George?
dermot

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:20 am

or maybe just for the hal ibat
GenerousGeorge

PreviousNext