Symbols

Experiences, questions and discussions on various aspects of mysticism, psychic abilities and psionics.

The Riddle of the Sphinx

Postby mirjana » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:48 pm

Along with the Great Pyramid of Giza, the Sphinx is one of the greatest enigmas and the most studied ancient monument of mankind’s history.
The word sphinx comes from the Greek Σφίγξ, apparently from the verb σφίγγω (sphíngō), meaning "to strangle"
The Sphinx was carved out of a single piece of stone weighing hundreds of tons. It is over 200 feet in length or about as long as a city block. According to Manly P. Hall’s book The Secret Teachings of the Ages (p. XLII), the Sphinx is about 70 feet in height and is 38 feet across the shoulders.
It is said that Sphinx have been guardians of the entrance to the Greek city of Thebes asking travelers to solve the riddle in order to be allowed to pass. According to that lore, Hera sent the Sphinx from her homeland, Ethiophian.
The famous riddle was:
“Which creature in the morning goes on four legs, at mid-day on two, and in the evening upon three, and the more legs it has, the weaker it be?”

Anyone who was not able to answer the question was strangled.
Oedipus solved the riddle with the famous answer:
“Man—who crawls on all fours as a baby, then walks on two feet as an adult, and then walks with a cane in old age.“

It is said that the Sphinx threw herself from her rock and died. Oedipus is rcognized as a figure who enabled the transition between the old religious practices, represented by the death of the Sphinx, and the rise of the new, Olympian gods.

mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: The Riddle of the Sphinx

Postby mirjana » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:45 pm

The Sphinx is the largest sculpture on the planet evidently done by very sophisticated culture. It is a scientifically evidence about the age of civilization that there had been someone on Earth more than 10.000 years ago who was highly civilized.Just this has changed our view about that who we think we are.
mirjana

Re: Symbols

Postby mirjana » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Metatron wrote:..

Well, what motivated me was that Metatron is called the Voice of God. On my skype I have changed that to "The Voice of Myself", meaning that I voice my own opinions and only what I think is right, instead of taking any other higher autority's opinion.

Good choice David.
Did you know that five Platonic solids are hidden within the lines of Metatron Cube. Looking at Metatron cube is the same time looking at all five Platonic solids. Actually from Metatron cube you can extract star tetrahedron, two actahedrons, two icosahedrons and dodecahedron.
During Pythagoras time it was not allowed to use the word dodecahedron, It was sacred and only possible to be used within the school. It was because it was considered as a highest form of consciousness. It is said that on the microscopic level the dodecahedron(which by Pythagora symbolizes Prana or Ether) and icosahedron(which symbolizes Water) are the parameters of DNA, the blue print of life.
In this video you can nicely see all Platonic solids I have mentioned:
mirjana

The Finger Print of God

Postby mirjana » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:25 pm

mirjana

The Symbol of Deep Spirits

Postby Sabina » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Did you know that the symbol behind Deep Spirits is not only ancient but also cross-cultural?
Not to mention, it is simple and its meaning always beautiful.

Here is more information about it:
The Symbol of Deep Spirits
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Symbols

Postby mirjana » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:45 pm

Sabina,
This is very powerful symbol and very wise application for DS credo.
=0)
mirjana

The Thunder as a Symbol

Postby mirjana » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:46 pm

As ash from an Iceland volcano snarled air travel across Europe, it seems like nature sends us some signals about its power that in our arrogance we forgot.
Bill Burton, a volcanologist with the US Geological Survey, said: "The more we know about their past behavior makes you a little more confident about what's going to happen next” .
This event brought forward my thoughts about the power of nature and corresponding symbols that are here to remind us how people have always been aware of that and transmitting that over their myths and symbols.

One of powerful symbols of nature and the first suggestion of a power greater than that of the human system is the thunder.
The philosopher Giambattista Vico(1668-1744) had suggested that the first notion of the godhead arose out of experiencing the voice of the thunder.
Thunder, like lightning is regarded in many cultures and mythologies as a manifestation and symbol of divine power:

-The ancient Germans thought that thunder was produced when Donar hurled his hammer;
-In Hindu mythology, the god Indra, known as the god of lightning has the thunderbolt as the main weapon;
-In the Bible, it is the wrathful voice of God;
-In Greek mythology, thunderbolt is the weapon of Zeus;
-In Roman mythology it is a weapon of Jupiter, got from Cyclops;
-In Maya mythology, Huracan is sometimes represented as three lightning bolts;
-The Celts interpreted thunder as an expression of a cosmic disturbance that conjured up the wrath of the elements. It was also seen as a punishment of Gods;
-In Siberia and North America, there is a mythic bird that produces thunder by flapping its wings, appearing as a wild goose, an iron duck or an eagle;
-According to Chinese, thunder is produced by the movements of a celestial Dragon;
mirjana

Previous

Return to Mysticism