Symbols

Experiences, questions and discussions on various aspects of mysticism, psychic abilities and psionics.

Symbols

Postby mirjana » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:30 pm

A symbol is a particular mark that represents something else by association. It can be an object, a picture, a written word, a sound. It awakes archetypal consciousness and triggers the associations’ line of personal understanding. All language consists of symbols. Our names are also symbols. Written languages are composed of a variety of different symbols that create words which are the base for communication. Our reactions to certain words or phrases present something inedible in our mind, created by different learning, life experiences, and prints of past lives.
Knowing that we have to give more patience and openness in our communication not jumping immediately into the conclusions of any kind because our understanding is again a new association based on our prints in mind.

"The word symbol came to the English language from Old French, from Latin, from the Greek σύμβολον (sýmbolon) from the root words συν- (syn-), meaning "together," and βολή (bolē), "a throw", having the approximate meaning of "to throw together", literally a "co-incidence", also "sign, ticket, or contract". The earliest use of the term is in the Homeric Hymn to Hermes where Hermes on seeing the tortoise exclaims συμβολον ηδη μοι "symbolon [symbol/sign/portent/encounter/chance find?] of joy to me!" before turning it into a lyre." Wikipedia

My attention for opening this topic was that we can introduce different symbols over time and their understanding.What is always helpful is to know more about particular symbols, so when symbols become part of the language it is less possible to be misunderstood. It is one of the ways to enrich and help our communication.

Ouroboros
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Symbols for State of Mind or Tendency

Postby mirjana » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:36 am

When Sabina and Ryan invented this new tool for us, so that we can choose a certain additional way to show each other how we feel the day we write and share time in DS, I liked the idea not being aware of the whole implication of it.
Actually it is a very nice spiritual exercise which can be helpful if we are not only playing with it, but using it for the best purpose.
There is a very well known rule in energy therapy that when we duplicate one problem (mental or emotional issue) it will disappeared. There is a whole chain of questions or ways how to do it in order to achieve it. I think that these symbols chosen as representatives of our state of Mind or tendency have very similar possibilities. How?
When we want sincerely to communicate our true emotion at the chosen moment we have to put ourselves the question which of possible solutions that are created for us correspond the best to our state of mind or emotional tendency. If we do not play games with self and others, this tool can be very useful. After marking the state of mind or emotional tendency, the best we can, we chose the symbol that represents it. After that it is there in front of our eyes and in front of others, not hidden any more but presented there and even symbolized. Watching it, it grows and somehow staying there in front duplicates or triplicates, but with that it also vanishes and we come to the idea to change it with another. The moment of change is the moment when it will disappear replaced with another chosen emotion. And it goes...like peeling...
mirjana

Re: Symbols

Postby Metatron » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:53 pm

Really, really cool video, Mirjana! I love symbols and the Ouroboros is really fascinating, I've seen it before in an anime called Fullmetal Alchemist. What surprised me though, that after I've seen the Flower and Seed of Life I was expecting to see the Metatron's cube too, and it wasn't there! But... that's good for me, at least I can write a bit about it myself... :)

Nice thread!
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

Personality: Ambivert
State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Postby mirjana » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:48 am

Hi David,

Thank you! I also love it. At the moment I am not at home and by my computer, I arrive at Wednesday and from than on I shall turn back to this topic too in the way I have explained how I see its role here.
In the meantime, it would be nice to hear more from you, about you and Metatron.

=0)
mirjana

Postby Metatron » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:30 pm

I never used to like doing geometry at school. However, when it comes to geometry and symbolism, now that's another story. The Metatron's cube fascinated me the first time I've seen it. This is what it looks like:

The Cube can be derived fromthe Flower of Life, simply by leaving out some of the circles from the Flower, and then joining the centers of all the remaining circles. What is also really interesting about it, that it contains all ofthe five Platonic solids, the tetrahedron, the cube, the octahedron, the dodecahedron and the icosahedron, while it still preserves perfect symetry. The cube is also a fractal.

Who's Metatron and why is he associated with the cube?

Metatron is an archangel who appears in Judaism and some branches of Christianity and Islam. He is sometimes reffered to as The Voice of God, that is, the one who God used to speak to humans, because otherwise human's would have gotten mad from his mighty voice. He is also believed to be the angel who stopped Abrham from sacrificing his son. So in his own denomination he is a major figure, he stands above the rest of the angels and issaid to be the only one except God who is allowed to sit down in heaven.

It is said that the Cube was created from Metatron's soul and he's been often depicted with it in several pictures, holding it in front of himself.

And now... why did I choose the name Metatron as a username?

Well, what motivated me was that Metatron is called the Voice of God. On my skype I have changed that to "The Voice of Myself", meaning that I voice my own opinions and only what I think is right, instead of taking any other higher autority's opinion.
Who the hell is it you try to impress?

All you have to do is learn to care less!
Metatron

State of Mind or Tendency: Sleepy
Kudos: 13

Flower of Life

Postby Sabina » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Very nice, both of you! David mentioned the Flower of Life, so here is a little more information about it.

The Flower of Life

The center of each circle is on the circumference of six surrounding circles of the same diameter. The Flower of Life is made up of 19 complete circles and 36 partial circular arcs, enclosed by a large circle.

It is a figure considered as a symbol of Sacred Geometry. Some believe that is contains a kind of Akashic Record, a basic information or record of all living things.

It can be seen in ancient manuscripts, in architecture (temples) and in art - all over the world.
The oldest known example of the Flower of Life was thought to have been found in the Temple of Osiris, in Egypt, however current research points to its age being around 535 B.C.
The Flower of Life depicted in the Assyrian rooms of the Louvre Museum in Paris, France is said to be from circa 645 BC, and is therefore considered to be the oldest example that still exists today.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Medicine Wheel

Postby Pat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Native American medicine wheel : the four colors stand for the four races the bear in many native American cultures represents the healer. Each direction represents a particular quality.

medicine wheel.jpg
Medicine Wheel
medicine wheel.jpg (28.85 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
:)
Pat

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: .
Favorite movie: .
Things I like: .
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 7

The Qabalistic tree of life