Superheroes

By Sabina

Superheroes

Postby Sabina » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:36 pm

Something interesting occurred.
I stumbled across this article.. a French/Irish correspondence, was humorous, looked official, but I couldn't believe it was, so I started looking through the page comments on StumbleUpon and came across one who gave it Thumbs Down and provided a link to the BBC site containing the explanation on why. The article was a hoax, it was meant to be funny, but there was nothing true about it.
So, I went to his SU page and saw that he did that about a few other things as well.
I thought "Excellent!", subscribed to his stumbles, and wrote him a short note informing him that I subscribed, how I came to his page, complimenting him on the effort to dissolve hoaxes and scams and sent him a link to the Eyeopeners section here on Deep Spirits, saying that I contribute to something similar there.
I got a reply from here and it provoked a line of thoughts so I decided to share that with you. It's short:

"Good on ya. Hope it goes well, though I have a feeling that jerks will continue to sell BS and other jerks will continue to buy it. At least there will be superheroes like you to sort them out. "
Signed

"Superheroes like me." Of course I liked the sound of that... a modern-day superhero, fighting injustice and lies, and without any personal gain or benefit, except knowing that they are doing the right thing. Looking at it that way the superhero title kind of fits.
And then I continued thinking (call it vanity, ego, whatever)... so... in a way, what I am trying to do, what I am hoping to help achieve is to have a world of superheroes. For everyone to be a superhero. Maybe not everyone, but the majority of people. But superheroes are never that, they are never a majority. They always stand out above the rest, or beside the rest.. again.. whatever. So is this "dream" a mathematical impossibility? I don't mean just in this life-time, but whenever?

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Superheroes

Postby mirjana » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Sabina wrote:"Good on ya. Hope it goes well, though I have a feeling that jerks will continue to sell BS and other jerks will continue to buy it. At least there will be superheroes like you to sort them out. "Sabina
Signed

I like this. It is a very nice recognition not only for your work, but for the DS as weel.
Sabina wrote:...
And then I continued thinking (call it vanity, ego, whatever)... so... in a way, what I am trying to do, what I am hoping to help achieve is to have a world of superheroes. For everyone to be a superhero. Maybe not everyone, but the majority of people. But superheroes are never that, they are never a majority. They always stand out above the rest, or beside the rest.. again.. whatever. So is this "dream" a mathematical impossibility? I don't mean just in this life-time, but whenever?
Sabina

Since I have been child I have always loved superheroes and that what they represented and for what they stood for. As a child I couldn't know that there is a lot of injustice in the world so the question is how it came. I think that on the archetypal level we all feel and know what the true thing is and what is false, what justice is and what injustice is. We do not always act appropriately and those inadequate actions make a mark on the level of consciousness like something that should be done correctly. Therefore dreams about superheroes as symbols for always justified actions which at least on the virtual level make a difference. Although I like Batman very much, actually my superheroes are more characters that James Stuart used to play. It is more real, it is something that shows how individual example can make a difference.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:37 pm

James Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life" is a nice example of a man who was very helpful.
Does that make him a superhero?
What is a superhero?

"People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy."

"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:26 pm

Trevor is a superhero. He is the beautiful example of that what Batman's words mean. The ending suggests not only that it is not an easy task, but that sometimes it is paid with life. As we are not immortal, the question is how much are we ready to risk or how deep are we ready to go to contribute to the better world? Unfortunately, most examples show that as soon as that what one stands for seems to be life threatening, most people give up. Without critical mass no change is possible, or at least not fast. Therefore the concept of superheroes stays as an exclusive model for exceptional standards that only rare people are ready to risk.
Superheroes do not fear life, but fight for better life.
Irene Morgan was a superhero for her time; Simone de Beauvoir was one too. Our Time Machine has plenty of such people: http://www.deepspirits.com/time-machine/
It is so important not to be frightened to stand for that what one considers of life importance.
Whoever stands for that what changes not only the personal life but contributes to the better world at least a bit, such one belongs to the league of superheroes. In this matter, according to my opinion, what matters is honesty to take part the best one can according to the personal level of consciousness. Therefore personal deeds are not simply comparable.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Return to DS Chronicle