Sundown - Yellow moon

By Dermot

Sundown - Yellow moon

Postby dermot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Had an interesting 90mins to myself sitting in the car, watching people and the World go by.
It was evening, tide was out, sun going down beautifully on the Atlantic.

Lots of people about, walking, going to the pubs and restaurants, that populate the harbour area.

I sat back, listening to music and people watching, both of which i enjoy!

Two ladies, freshly painted strolled along the pavement looking completely ridiculous (to me) as they tottered on heels that resembled shiny building blocks.

Dads and their small kids walked along hand in hand, Mums walking behind looking contented.

People living in the harbourside apartements came to stand on the balconies, a glass of wine in hand, all facing the dying sun. A couple of them watered plants and exchanged good natured banter.

A young guy with a car looked especially proud of his new alloy wheels, as he got out and walked around the car twice, walked away looking back as if to memorise their appearance before walking his girlfriend down the path.

An attractive young woman walked arm in arm with her boyfriend / husband, she was his crutch as he seemed to be the victim of a stroke or some other form of disability.

Behind me, a couple seemed to walk a loop around a large pond, trying to set a new lap record or something.

All in all, the scene was one of relaxed pleasure, good times with no price to pay.

My wife was visiting a friend with depression, she had been having a difficult time trying to stay clear of her medication. When i saw her she was like death warmed up, she needed to be able to watch the sun go down like the rest of us....but first she needed real help.

I enjoyed the evening, its good to be alive and well.........is'nt it?
d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Re: Sundown - Yellow moon

Postby Ryan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Nice picture you've painted... through and through... Thanks... The sun always sets behind buildings where I live...
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby tcm2164 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:11 am

Dermot, Thanks for the reminder to enjoy life's simple pleasures, which are available to us if we can just tear ourselves away from our thoughts long enough to observe what is happening around us in the moment. What you wrote could be the opening scene of a book...so vivid.

I enjoyed a similarly relaxing day. Did yard work at a leisurely pace, enjoying all the plants that are springing up everywhere. Then spent the evening with a group of very good friends. And now, relaxing on the couch with the dogs. A wonderful day.
tcm2164

Favorite book: Blood Meridian
Favorite movie: Into the Wild
Things I like: Nature and the outdoors, physical activity, creative people, open-mindedness.
State of Mind or Tendency: Insomnius
Kudos: 7

Postby Sabina » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:40 am

I have also enjoyed your vignette, whether it was a painting or the beginning of a book.

dermot wrote:I sat back, listening to music and people watching, both of which i enjoy!

Same here, though I don't do this much anymore....
Which music did you listen to?

What can also be fun is to observe how the music affects the scene. It can either literally amplify an impression, or it can throw off the visual (for example, the song sings of the seeming opposite than the picture that is in front of you), and therefore enhance it by contrast.
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:41 pm

dermot wrote:...
I enjoyed the evening, its good to be alive and well.........is'nt it?
d.

According to your warm description of the whole scenery, you were fully aware of the moment. When something like that happens, it is bliss. Thank you for sharing yours with us reminding us how beautiful is to be here, alive, aware and able to enjoy the beauty around.
=0)
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby dermot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:53 pm

Sabina.....i had ipod on shuffle, but the song i remember the most from that time was 'Missing' by Bruce Springsteen.

you are so right about the music contrasting / enhancing the moment!

Mirjana...there was also the intense contrast between my serene comfort (music, scene, people), and the reality of another persons struggle with depression. This scene existed outside her front door, but her world was filled with darkness and despair.

So there was contrast everywhere, even in my heart.

Still wonderful to experience or be able to appreciate...i felt blessed.
d.
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
Kudos: 52

Postby mirjana » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:39 pm

Dermot, yes, maybe that contrast contributed to the awareness of the privilege you had to be there fully aware of being truly alive and part of the beauty around.
Personal suffer and pain, as well as of others, opens our eyes more to the bright side of the life. That is the beauty of contrast. On the level of energy, people who suffer, also do something for the fellow men around. That is their way to help us to be more aware of gratitude for that what we have. Your wife went to help her friend. The whole situation brought you in that situation to get that moment of awareness of the moment. It is nice energy exchange that will, I hope, bring your friend to enjoy such moments with you again.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Return to The Cloggernaugh West Diaries