Sufi Soul

Experiences, questions and discussions on various aspects of mysticism, psychic abilities and psionics.

Sufi Soul

Postby Sabina » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:07 pm

__6__

Poem from the Sufi movie Bab'Aziz:

The people of this world are like the three butterflies
in front of a candle's flame.

The first one went closer and said:
I know about love.

The second one touched the flame
lightly with his wings and said:
I know how love's fire can burn.

The third one threw himself into the heart of the flame
and was consumed. He alone knows what true love is.

Quote from movie:

But where is this gathering?
- I don't know, my little angel.
But do the others know?
- No, they don't know either.
How can you go to a gathering without knowing where it is?
- It suffices to walk, just walk. Those who are invited will find the way.

And finally, here are some Sufi stories, if anyone is interested.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Dervish and Sufism

Postby mirjana » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:14 am

A Dervish is someone treading a Sufi Muslim ascetic path . Similar to mendicant friars in Christianity, Hindu, Buddhist or Jain sadhus, they are known for their extreme poverty and austerity.

In Persian Dar means "a door". Dervish literally means "one who opens the doors", although there are in other languages related to ascetics.

Dervishes are Sufi practitioners and as such they are also known as sources of wisdom, medicine, poetry, enlightenment, and witticisms. For example, Nasrudin became a legend in the Near East and South Asia, not only among the Muslims. With the time he became one of symbols for witty and wise stories.

Practice & Rituals
As ascetics who have taken a vow of poverty, many dervishes are mendicants, but not for their own good, but to learn about humility. Because of that they give collected money to other poor people. While they walk around praising the Lord, anyone according to his own desire may voluntarily give them some coins.
There are also dervishes who work in common professions as fishermen, like in Egypt and Turkey.
A dervish who wears the proper robe does not beg, nor does he make any demands.

This is what Rumi, who was Dervish himself, says about this practise of Dervishes in one of his poems:

Water that's poured inside will sink the boat

While water underneath keeps it afloat.

Driving wealth from his heart to keep it pure

King Solomon preferred the title 'Poor':

That sealed jar in the stormy sea out there

Floats on the waves because it's full of air,

When you've the air of dervishood inside

You'll float above the world and there abide...

Rumi about Sema, Dervish ritual

Rumi was Sufi master and creator of Sema, one of many Sufi ceremonies performed in order to reach religious ecstasy.

Sufi whirling or spinning is a physically meditation performed as a customary dance. By spinning their bodies in repetitive circles, which is a symbolic imitation of planets in the Solar System orbiting the Sun, and by listening to the music, they are focusing on God which helps them to abandon their egos and desires aiming to reach a source of perfection.

In the symbolism of the Sema ritual, spinning dance, dervishes‘ camel‘s hair hat represents the tombstone of the ego; his wide, white skirt represents the ego's shroud. By removing his black cloak, he is spiritually reborn to the truth.
At the beginning of the Sema, by holding his arms crosswise, dervish appears to represent the number one, thus testifying to God's unity. While whirling, his arms are open: his right arm is directed to the sky, ready to receive God's beneficence; his left hand, upon which his eyes are fastened, is turned toward the earth. Dancing dervish or semazen conveys God's spiritual gift to those who are witnessing the Sema. Revolving from right to left around the heart, the semazen embraces all humanity with love. The human being has been created with love in order to love.
Famous Sufi poet describes this beautifully:
"All loves are a bridge to Divine love. Yet, those who have not had a taste of it do not know!"

Sufism is a peacful and mystic path that focuses on the individual relationship with the creator in a humble and spiritual way.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: Sufi Soul

Postby Pat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:14 am

Mirjana I love what you wrote here about Sufism ....I have a Sufi teacher and he would love what you have written,,
:)
Pat

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: .
Favorite movie: .
Things I like: .
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 7

Re: Sufi Soul

Postby dermot » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:14 pm

To be honest, i knew nothing about Sufism. I have read lots about Buddhism and eastern philosophy etc, but this is interesting and i am quite excited to learn more.

Thanks Sabina and Mirjana !
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52