Stephen Fry on the Catholic Church

Postby Sabina » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:57 pm

A majestic speech by Stephen Fry...

"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Stephen Fry on the Catholic Church

Postby Pat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Hi Sabina This was excellent...
I do have a thought about the church's stand on reading the bible...
In this country for centuries people have read the bible. Many very poorly educated in who wrote the bible and the different styles of writing in the bible, have read and interpreted the bible in strange ways... In many towns through out the country for hundreds of years churches have sprung up with some very strange ideas about being Christians. For example the snake handlers.
I believe that anyone should be able to read an book they want to but to understand and start teaching it to others should not be left to those who do not understand it. So many people pick and chose what they will believe in the bible. So many people look at the bible with a Greek and Roman mind instead of the eastern way of thinking ...the ancient Hebrew thought and told stories about events differently than the Greek and Romans.
Now I am starting to ramble ...I really loved what Stephen Fry had to say.

Pat
:)
Pat

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: .
Favorite movie: .
Things I like: .
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 7

Postby Sabina » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Not rambling at all... that's an interesting thought!

The problem with the bible begins with its translations in general (instead a "young woman" it's a "virgin", etc.).

What about snake handlers? Which ideas does the church have..?

Pat wrote:So many people look at the bible with a Greek and Roman mind instead of the eastern way of thinking ...the ancient Hebrew thought and told stories about events differently than the Greek and Romans.

I am interested to hear you elaborate on that... it does make sense.
So, how differently?

Sabina
Sabina

Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty

Postby Pat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:54 pm

I took theology classes several years ago in a Catholic college ... I had a very good professor who taught about the life and times of Jesus and the ancient Hebrew.
Unlike the Greek and Romans who when you would ask them to tell you what happened in a certain event would tell you the facts in a chronological order in others words this happened first then this and then this and so on giving you the facts of the story in order of happening. The ancient Hebrew would tell you a "story" about what happened and you would have to deduce from that what he was trying to tell you ....
For example The story of Jesus calming the seas... the ancient Hebrew believed that only God could control the seas because the sea was the domain of the devil. Therefore if you can control the water then you must be the son of God. Instead of just coming out and saying this man is the son of God.

So much of the Bible is parables not a literal story because that is the way the ancient Hebrews told life stories.
:)
Pat

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: .
Favorite movie: .
Things I like: .
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 7

Postby Sabina » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Kind of like big tales... slight (or not so slight) exaggerations to make a point.

He might have performed in a situation that had to do with water and the sea so well, that people said "he could walk on water", as in him being the master of water, having mastered the situation involving water...

When people are used to such a way of storytelling then they don't pay much attention to it - that much I have been able to observe personally as well. The way they see it is "I do it, you do it, we all do it". But if you tell the same story outside the circle of people who are used to that way of storytelling, then the same stories are either called lies or accepted as miracles. :)

Sabina
Sabina

Postby dermot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:44 pm

My Mum is a staunch Catholic in the Irish sense at least.
Recently at the age of 82 she was diagnosed as Coeliac, which means she cant tolerate gluten. She announced she could no longer accept the Host at Mass as it was in fact bread, she had been told by her Priest that it was ok.
Problem here is that when one receives the Host it has according to Catholisism been transformed into the Body and Blood of Christ......which means its no longer bread.

Well......i thought it was funny.
dermot
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Postby Ryan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:19 pm

Interesting, and yes I heard it stated by Stephen Fry as well, There is a similar ritual in the Baptist church except there the bread and grape juice (not wine) are explained to only be symbolic of the body and blood. I was a junior Deacon at church and took part in the ceremony and everything was explained to me that way.
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby Heidi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:24 am

Stephen Fry's speech was absolutely fantastic! Kudos to Sabina for posting it!

Personally, I believe in reincarnation, and having seen Fry in the film "Wilde," I am sure he is Wilde's next incarnation!
As for gay love, I am convinced there is nothing bad or contemptible in it. Love under any form is love, and needs respect. I remember I couldn't keep back my tears reading Wilde's "De Profundis."
Heidi

State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 17

Stephen Fry and Oscar Wilde

Postby mirjana » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:13 am

Heidi wrote:Stephen Fry's speech was absolutely fantastic! Kudos to Sabina for posting it!

Personally, I believe in reincarnation, and having seen Fry in the film "Wilde," I am sure he is Wilde's next incarnation!
As for gay love, I am convinced there is nothing bad or contemptible in it. Love under any form is love, and needs respect. I remember I couldn't keep back my tears reading Wilde's "De Profundis."

Documentary about Oscar Wilde

Wilde - clip 2
The whole e Profundis by Oscar Wilde is here:
http://www.upword.com/wilde/de_profundis.html

Mirjana
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Return to Civil Courage