Sound and Music

Exploring psychology, sociology, social studies and experiments, applied psychology, education & pedagogy, personality psychology.

Sound and Music

Postby mirjana » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:28 pm

I think that sound is primary part of us; it is our connection with that something what was the very first of everything.
Sound is not limited by time and space and it seems to me that it is something that by its nature is here to keep us connected with the essence of our being and the essence of our genesis.
Therefore music, whose medium is sound, represents the most transcendental art which serves as connection thread with the core of that what is our primary call.

What is your favorite sound?
What kind of music awakes the best in you?
How much can music influence inner changes by you?
Or what would or could be your question regarding to sound and music?

PS: I post this topic here as I think that music influences both, mind and heart and harmonizes both as well.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Re: Sound and Music

Postby Kris » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:34 am

mirjana wrote:I think that sound is primary part of us; it is our connection with that something what was the very first of everything.
Sound is not limited by time and space and it seems to me that it is something that by its nature is here to keep us connected with the essence of our being and the essence of our genesis.
Therefore music, whose medium is sound, represents the most transcendental art which serves as connection thread with the core of that what is our primary call.

Mirjana,

Where do you come up with such insightful questions? You articulate this so well and I completely understand what you are saying.

Recently scientist have discovered that newborn babies cry in perfect fifth intervals, perfect fourth and minor third intervals. These melodic harmonies and melodies are the basis for music theory and has been since the beginning of music. The earliest instruments were tuned to this same ……. mathematical equation, if you will.

Since learning that babies cry in these perfect intervals….I listen to them differently.

I have included a link to a description of an interesting documentary on how music is connected to everything.

http://documentary-dvds.suite101.com/ar ... ience_song
Kris

State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 5

Postby mirjana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:16 am

Hi Kris,

Unfortunately I could not enter this site. But I love information you brought to us with your post.
This about babies is fascinating for me. I didn´t know that. But, since I know myself I somehow feel that everything around us is sound and could be expressed by music.

Symbols are my weakness, and notes are powerful symbols, not easy to understand. Who reads these symbols easily can easier go in depth of everything.
Sound is a kind of spiral force that pulls into the very center of everything. That is the reason, I think, that when tuned with the right rhythm and sound we leave the limitations of this reality and feel like we are flying.
I can imagine how wonderful it is when one is in the music and not only that feels music what we all can, as music is our innate trace, but understands it as well, play it or even more, create it.

My daughter plays classic guitar and was the youngest in Vienna Conservatorium the time back when, being 12, they accepted her to study classic guitar. The way she reads notes has always been a fascinating thing for me as I realized that the ease she did it was not a common ability within students. I can imagine that this ease enable her to compose as well. Today she teaches her son guitar and I am fascinated that he has got that talent of reading notes the same way she did.
This could be inspiring topic, as music and sound are limitless, so I am very curious about further development.

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby anil60 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:00 am

Have you ever tried inner music with inner ears?
anil60

Personality: Extrovert
Kudos: 0

Postby mirjana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:43 pm

anil60 wrote:Have you ever tried inner music with inner ears?

Hi Anil,

This is a very good question. Yes I did.
When I want to recall some sound or music I do it by singing it without sound in my inner mind. The strange thing is that I always hear the whole piece exactly like it is what a case is not always when I try to transmit it into the sound. Probably that is the reason that musician tell for somebody to have a good ear for music, but not a good voice.
Gnostic Intensive is one of spiritual techniques that I have been practicing myself and working with my clients. It is a technique that makes one possible to encounter personal truth about most important things that are of importance for the person(Who am I?; Who is another Human Being?; What is Life?; What/Who is God?; What is Sound?...)
I have discovered my truths about all these questions including the one about the sound. The sound I was chanting during the process of realization was OM.
That was my deep realization of hearing a sound with an ear inside of me.
After that, whenever I want to calm my mind I can chant it in my inner mind and it brings me into the state of void and perfect silence.

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby Kris » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:30 pm

http://documentary-dvds.suite101.com/article.cfm/dvd_review_the_music_instinct_science_song

Here is the above mentioned link (that didn't work)

Thank you Sabina for your help.

Kris
Kris

Kudos: 5

Postby mirjana » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:08 am

This is beautiful article Kris that answers many interesting questions about music and puts more light to the common knowledge about all possible effects music has on our life.
Thank you!

Mirjana
mirjana

Postby GenerousGeorge » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:50 pm

In our current reality, most of what is real to us comes from our senses. Everything else as, as a practical matter, does not exist.

Just as there are uncounted numbers of things similar to "radio waves", zipping around constantly, the only ones that are real to us are those the radio is built to decode and express.

Therefore, for me searching for "reflections" that somehow represent all the unknown, and the so far, intranslatable "radio signals", zipping through the universe requires the language of symbols. Perhaps God, The Force, etc. is the fundamental (or resulting) symbol for that which concerns us ultimately.

Anyway, one of the primary way to detect "reflections" or symbols of the vast unknown is through MUSIC. It is not by accident that music is an extremely important part of most religious ceremonies. Through it, we detect some reflection of "what is behind the veil", beautiful, powerful and transcendant. We get feelings and emotions and hints of something greater than ourselves through music.

I have a great attraction to music, plays, concerts etc. and they often hint to me of a much larger reality than that which we are currently confined to.

I pray daily for WILLINGNESS to be honest with myself, open and truly receptive and understanding of "Gods" will for me. For me, music is a very important element to trancend my immediate perceived reality.
GenerousGeorge

Personality: Extrovert
State of Mind or Tendency: Optimistic
Kudos: 19

Intermezzo

Postby Sabina » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:05 pm

George,

Reading your reply I thought of Beethoven, so without much ado, here are some sounds and music... Let's call this an Intermezzo.

The Ode to Joy shouldn't be split into pieces, therefore I'm not including it.

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:12 pm

Dear Sabina,

Thank you for this intermezzo, which is pure transcending moment of bliss.
All kind of emotions are there, I am at the edge of crying and the same time I feel elevating.
George,
When reading your answer, in many of your lines I felt so much of idea of God or however we would call this elevating feeling we get when listening music. It brings us in the state to feel things differently, to be more receptive toward self and others and be more sensitive. It brings us in the state of graceful acceptance. That is probably why musicians, especially those who compose music, say that they can feel the presence of God. You said it very nice, it makes possible to transcend this material reality.
Transcending this means that for the moment one is in the feeling where there is no time, no space nor any other limitations.

Mirjana
mirjana

Next

Return to Psychology