Sorting

By Agate

Sorting

Postby Agate » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:13 pm

Meat or no meat, this week was going to be tough for me. It's toward the end of the month, and my cupboards are alarmingly bare. I should get an infusion of grocery money in the next few days, but 'till then things are gonna be lean here.

This is probably a good thing. I cannot eat what I haven't got in the house. If I'm broke, I cannot impulse-buy something I'll regret later. So this week of penury is coming at a very good time. It gives me another few days to solidify my new patterns and habits. I'm also taking the time to look at old ones to decide whether or not I want to keep them.

It's rather astonishing how much rubbish I've got stored away in this temple of mine. Every so often I'll notice a thought pattern and have to stop and look at it. Is this healthy? Is it useful? Does it help me move forward? If any of those answers are no, the next question looks at how I can get rid of it.

I had one of those moments yesterday. Sabina suggested I use the energy of craving to exercise...and my first reaction was a string of reasons why I couldn't do that. And then I stopped and listened to myself, looked at what I was saying, and came to an interesting conclusion:

Any time I have a strongly negative knee-jerk reaction to a suggestion, any reason I throw out is probably an excuse.

Excuses annoy me, so I took the time to look at the ones I'd come up with. Not surprisingly a lot of them had to do with a reluctance to change or be different. "I've never done it that way" is just another way of saying "I want to keep doing it my way. I don't want to change." Having been raised by the King and Queen of Conformity, I guess it's reasonable for me to have that kind of a mindset. If nobody in our circle did something, I was strongly discouraged from doing it. So most of my excuses were a simple reaction to a suggestion of doing something *gasp* different.

That, I believe, is what is going to be their biggest issue when I "come out" as a vegetarian to them. None of their inner circle of friends is a vegetarian. They'd never dream of giving up meat. My choice will mark me as different, something they've always striven to avoid at all costs.

Oh well. That's their problem, not mine. If they're happy in their just-like-the-Joneses life, I'm glad for them. And I'm grateful that I don't have to live that way.
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Re: Sorting

Postby mirjana » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:26 pm

During this period I can only tell that drinking water helps enormously. Whenever you have a moment of doubt drink a glass of water. If you put a juice of 1/2 of lemon in the glass of water, it will help your digestion problems and it will support your diet.
8 glasses of lemon water are great thing one can do for personal health. Read about it here:
http://www.deepspirits.com/natural-world/special-potions/lemonade.php
Besides, visit this site: http://www.montignac.com/en/
Reading the whole left side there you will get a very supportive knowledge for your efforts and some very useful principals that will further help you on your way.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby Sabina » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:44 pm

That's a lovely post Agate... :)

As for me and my suggestions... it's a hereditary shortcoming. 80S

Just keep swimming... and eventually you'll get to the other side, where it becomes effortless.
Until then, you just do it, knowing that you'll get there.

PS: Mirjana suggested lemonade. I'd say Green tea! ;0)
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Agate » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks for the beverage suggestions, you two. I've been wanting something to jazz up my water, so once I finish my consciousness-in-a-cup (coffee) I'll spike my water jug with lemon!
Everyone's got a tale to tell,
I know I'm not the first, or last but somewhere in-between;
Not best but not the worst.
Agate

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Happy
Kudos: 8

Return to Full of Beans