Some Ideas for Vegetarian Meals

By Mirjana

Some Ideas for Vegetarian Meals

Postby mirjana » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:35 am

Chili con Carne alla Vegetarian

In many parts of the world beans are part of the local diet. I recommend Kidney beans, red beans, and pinto beans, while white beans cause more digestive problems.
When prepared with vegetables, such meal provides both protein and fiber.
Ingredients that you always need when you want to have great beans vegetarian meal are the following: Beans, onion, garlic, Persil, red pepper, olive oil, carrots, celery and tomatos(dried go well).
If you take canned bean(which I do not recommend), then just wash the bean and mix it with all other vegetables chopped into nice pieces thumb size, mix them all with olive oil , some garlic and Persil, herbal salt and pepper. Then put it in the oven for less than one hour under a middle heat.
If you use dried beans, then put them in the water over night and cook them next day. Cooked beans use the same way as described above.
* If you have some Tofu to mix into your meal, you will have the taste close to the traditional dish Chili con Carne.
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Ginger Carrot Soup

Postby mirjana » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:57 pm

In the Natural World, Herbalist‘s Essentials, there is an information about medical use of Ginger: http://www.deepspirits.com/natural-world/herbalist-essentials/g/

There is hardly better warming soup for winter than Ginger Carrot Soup.
In order to prepare it you need following ingredients:

1/4 cup olive oil
2 large onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 TBS minced fresh ginger
2 pounds sliced carrots
5 tsp. coriander seeds
3 1/2 quarts of vegetable stock
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. sea salt (herbal salt is preferable)
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup plain yogurt
Some fresh coriander for garnish

Directions

In a dry skillet, toast over medium-high heat and for about 3 minutes the coriander seeds until golden shaking them constantly.
Cool and process in a blender or mortar and pestle, into a fine powder. Reserve.
Warm the oil in a soup pot and add the onions. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the onions are translucent.
Add the garlic, ginger, carrots, stock, sea or herbal salt, pepper, and ground coriander.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the carrots are tender.
Remove from heat and stir in the lemon or lime juice.
Process the soup in a food processor until smooth.
Just before serving, garnish each bowl with a dollop of yogurt and a sprig of fresh coriander.
mirjana

Crunchy Green Bean Salad

Postby mirjana » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Green bean is very healthy vegetable low in calories, only 44 per cup. Besides it is rich with vitamin C, vitamin K and manganese.

You can prepare them a day before serving if you cook them until they are bright green and still crunchy-tender and keep them refrigerated until the next day when you will toss them with the dressing just before serving.
You can also chop your ginger root before the day you serve the salad. I chop my ginger and keep it in cider vinegar for many uses including this salad.

Ingredients
1 pound fresh green beans, (I use fresh organic if possible)
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger root
1 cup slivered red onion

Dressing with Asian flavour
1 tablespoon mustard
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons dark-roasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons of sugar ( I prefer 1 teaspoon of fruit sugar)

Instructions
1. Trim and cut the green beans into length you prefer, (I cut them into 1-inch lengths). Cook in boiling water, about 5 minutes (crunchy-tender.

2. Drain beans, immerse in cold water to stop the cooking until they are cool, and then drain well.

3. Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until well blended.

4. Toss the green beans with the ginger root, red onion and dressing. Serve immediately.

=0)
mirjana

Meat Alternatives for Holidays

Postby mirjana » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:06 pm

There are quite few holidays in front of us. People think that it is not possible to celebrate Thanks Giving without traditional turkey or Christmass without some meat meal. But, there are planty meat alternatives that will make each of these holidays interesting and original although without meat. For vegetarians and those who would like to try it, here are some suggestions:

1. As a complement to a traditional turkey, try one of the tofu variations available at most grocers. There are even faux turkeys, although it wouldn´t be my choice. But there are many tasty meat tofu substitute made of tempeh, a fermented-soybean product often used in “mock meat” dishes, or seitan, a wheat-gluten-derived food. Some of them come with gravy and stuffing, for a complete vegetarian alternative.

2.For my holidays´meals I make vegetables the main attraction. It can be a pumpkin or squash stuffed with rice, or cranberries, apples, nuts and other ingredients that go into turkey stuffing. It is not only satisfying, but provides a festive look as well.

3. I also focus on sides. You can try with potatoes mashed with carageenan-free soymilk and olive oil instead of cow's milk and butter, baked sweet potatoes, crusty whole grain bread, wild rice or vegetable casseroles, pureed cauliflower, steamed green beans, roasted root vegetables...
You will have your meal healthier and it will be tasty and interesting too.
mirjana

Re: Some Ideas for Vegetarian Meals

Postby mirjana » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:18 am

Ginger- Carrot Soup
for 4 persons

Ingredients

2 teaspoons sun-flower oil (first press)
1 chopped onion (medium)
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger root
3 cups carrots, chopped
1 peeled and chopped potato(medium)
8 cups vegetable stock
Salt to taste
Dash of dry sherry
Dash of nutmeg
Chopped fresh parsley or optionally chopped fresh celery leaves.

Instructions

1. Heat the oil in the corresponding size of pot. Add chopped onion and finely chopped ginger. Sauté, stirring, just until the onion is translucent.

2. Add the carrots, potato and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and boil gently until the vegetables are tender, about 30-45 minutes.

3. Strain the soup and keep it in the pot. Purée strained vegetables in a blender and add it to the soup.

4. Add salt to taste and flavor with dash of nutmeg.
Serve it garnished with chopped fresh parsley or chopped fresh celery leaves.

Discover the beauty of nature and learn more about Ginger in Natural World:
http://www.deepspirits.com/natural-world/herbalist-essentials/g/
mirjana

Return to Somewhere in Between