Short animated movie: French Roast

Visual communication and a modern art form.
Movie tips, inspiring animations and associations.

Short animated movie: French Roast

Postby Sabina » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:47 pm

"French Roast", written and directed by Fabrice O. Joubert

Good story, excellent realization... "French Roast" already received many awards and is now also up for an Oscar in a couple of days. Enjoy!

"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Re: Short animated movie: French Roast

Postby mirjana » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:45 pm

Beautiful story Sabina. And so much true.
The whole idea about short movies is excellent. These movies are like Zen or Sufi stories, not many words, but the message is there.
Thank you!!
It wouldn't be bad, I think, to use these stories as an illustration for the topic as the messages of such movies are exactly that what people need to communicate.
I am very curious what will be our personal suggestions for the title of the new opened topic inspired with this move.
Mine:
Assumptions...

Mirjana
mirjana

State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 48

Postby HGolightly » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:23 pm

Classic Short Film (Father and Daughter Oscar Short Animated Film 2000)

One of my favorites .... Sabina, loved yours too! <3
HGolightly

State of Mind or Tendency: Cheerful
Kudos: 15

Postby Sabina » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm

Holly,
This one about the father and daughter is so very sad... and the thing is that I think a lot of people romanticize the daughter's love, but to me it seems more like a wasted life, in a way.
I know they don't show her entire life, only how consistent and consequent she was in her search for the father. To me that also means that she was consistently sad, additionally to loving or missing him her entire life.

A younger version of me would have loved the story more than this current me.
The old me would have identified with her, if nothing else than for the depth and consistency of emotion.
Sadness, disappointment etc. can come up, and in a way I should be able to deal with it in a better way, because I have more experience with it all. Instead it seems it actually touches me more than ever, so as a result some of those feelings deplete me... So, the current me transforms sadness into creativity, or sadness into anger and into an explosion of creativity.
=0/

Sabina
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby mirjana » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:39 pm

Oh, Holy, I am so much caught within my emotions after watching this. It is so simple and so powerfully beautiful. Thank you.
mirjana

Postby HGolightly » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:04 pm

Sabina, I understand and appreciate your sentiment. I love how this animation visually captures the essence of a relationship between father and daughter. For me, it's like the eternal bond or feeling associated with the unconditional love, security, anticipation, hope, determination, forgiveness, sadness, and more. It's a commitment to an ideal or belief that no matter what, she never gave up. In all it's perceived sadness, there lies a beauty in this type of romanticism. It particularly resonates with me today more in terms of love and light - "forgiveness". This is just a great animation that can evoke such emotion based purely on visual/music alone - it actually inspires me! =0@
HGolightly

Postby mirjana » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:36 pm

For me, as simple as it seems, the story has many layers and one of the most powerful is that one who has love cannot be influenced by anything in keeping this as an essential part of self.
In that sense this is not story only about father and daughter, but can be a story about any other relationship in which one is and stay love, no matter what the life brings.
When knowing our discussion in the Paths to Love topic: paths-to-love-t274.html, then this short movie is a very good illustration for many definitions said there.
mirjana

Postby HGolightly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Mirjana, loved your remarks ...

"The story has many layers and one of the most powerful is that one who has love cannot be influenced by anything in keeping this as an essential part of self."

"In that sense this is not story only about father and daughter, but can be a story about any other relationship in which one is and stay love, no matter what the life brings."

<3
HGolightly

Return to Movies