Sexism in the Media

Metaphysical, spiritual, philosophical or mystical topics.
The forum for talks about the intangible universe, the human mind, and the soul.

Re: Sexism in the Media

Postby dermot » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:07 pm

A fine example!

Here recently a UK fashion chain was forced to take a bikini set for 7yr olds off sale when it was discovered to have a padded bra!..

It was withdrawn in the UK also .....im pretty sure.

The mind boggles!!!!!!!

Thing is the retail chain must have done research and customer clinics etc to project sales for this product.....they must have thought they had found a 'market' for this.

If retail is going to start sexualising 7yr olds, where do we go from here?
....the heart only whispers, be still and listen....
dermot

Personality: Introvert
State of Mind or Tendency: Inspired
Kudos: 52

Postby Sabina » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:18 pm

80|
Yes... that reminds me of the first time I saw a padded bikini top... I couldn't grasp the concept. And the bad thing was that the particular shop (which is huge and extremely popular) ONLY had padded bikini tops... no option to buy it without the padding!
A bikini or a bathing suit is something that is supposed to dry quickly.. with padding it only takes longer, not to mention.. what's the point of "seducing" anyone by seeming like you have bigger breasts or differently shaped breasts or seducing anyone with anything that is not really you? What is the point of ever padding a bra?
These bra pads are so common now... it used to be something that you could buy, but not so easily, now it's a regular daily item.. can be bought in various shops, right next to underwear.

And your example with 7 year olds... yes, that's really really bad. Good question too!

Where do we go from here?
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Personality: Ambivert
Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby dermot » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:27 pm

The World is Mad Sabina.........mad mad mad.

Ignorance and unconsiousness behaviour since time began, just new versions of both arising each generation.
We start with ourselves, purge the negative thoughts and actions, try to become more realised more aware, and then maybe we get to have some sort of influence on the madness.
Or join in.
d.
dermot

Postby Phratello » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:44 am

This topic confuses me. On one level any sort of sexism is bad, but I find that I'm not often exposed to it these days because I don't watch television any longer.

On another level, does it really matter what the media projects about gender? The corporations have their money, and I have my self. Live and let live I say.
Phratello

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: The Outsiders
Favorite movie: Zeitgeist Addendum
Things I like: Painting
State of Mind or Tendency: Cool
Kudos: 0

Postby Ryan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:40 am

... and you have no children... no family members... no friends... you live on a deserted island with a satellite internet connection and your laptop... which only loads web pages that have no advertising at all... right?
[R] If you don't understand something I said or why I said it... ask me.
If you don't want to understand something I said or why I said it... tell me.
Ryan

Favorite book: no favorite book but favorite stories
Favorite movie: the Star Wars saga
Things I like: My family, nature, movies, games, music... more later
Kudos: 50

Postby Sabina » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:42 am

Phratello wrote:This topic confuses me. On one level any sort of sexism is bad, but I find that I'm not often exposed to it these days because I don't watch television any longer.

On another level, does it really matter what the media projects about gender? The corporations have their money, and I have my self. Live and let live I say.

Yes, it matters, because "the media" is much more than merely television. The media is all around us... newspapers, magazines, internet, and even on the sidewalks.
Take a casual stroll through any city and you can freely observe sexism a la carte!

Plus, you come in contact with and are affected by all kinds of people and their opinions, and these opinions have been affected by the media that surrounds them. It's like a virus.
"Whether You believe you can, or you can't, you are right."
Sabina

Favorite book: Confession by Tolstoy + Chess novel by Zweig
Favorite movie: Matrix + Baraka
Things I like: the arts, free thinkers, creativity, passion, intelligence, honesty
State of Mind or Tendency: Artistic
Kudos: 61

Postby Jade » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:39 pm

Phratello wrote:This topic confuses me. On one level any sort of sexism is bad, but I find that I'm not often exposed to it these days because I don't watch television any longer.

There aren't many things as terrifying and alarming, as when a positive philosophy somehow gets twisted to support laziness.

We are all connected.
    "A Jade stone is useless before it is processed;
    a man is good-for-nothing until he is educated."

Chinese proverb
Jade

Kudos: 7

Postby dermot » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:54 pm

I understand your comfort in deciding not to partake in 'the media' as in tv Phratello, but what if you begin to observe other negative influences elsewhere that you 'need' to turn away from also, what if you become surrounded...your vision obstructed, where do you go to then?

just thoughts....

d.
dermot

Postby mirjana » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:25 am

There is an old saying going something like that:
"If you do not react when your neighbor is attacked, do not be surprised when the attack comes to your door."
We can contribute in everything around us with our choices of action in daily life. There are so many possibilities when awareness is there.
mirjana

Kudos: 48

Postby Mel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:47 pm

1. Should sexist adverts be banned? What is your opinion?
Even if sexism did not apply, those types of adds are deceiving, so should not be allowed. They tend to give one the illusion that one can be sexier or more attractive to the opposite sex etc, just by buying the product. I know we are not stupid enough to really believe this, but doesnt it play on our emotions, when we hear somebody suggest what we want and a possible solution. Maybe there are times when we are vulnerable enough to try any solution, including buying an inappropriate one with our hard earned cash, that would do us more good to spend on something else.

2. Have you ever asked yourself to which extent you are already brainwashed, when it comes to you personally, as well as your view of others?
Sometimes, I am shocked by it, when I discover what has happened, and how much I was influenced.

3. Are you aware of sexism in daily life?
Absolutely. Basically, societies have been set up without taking the needs of women and children into account, and despite inprovements and advances in civilization, we are still to a large extent as women assimilating into something that is not our choice and does not suit our feminine side.

4. How do you react to it?
I think, at this stage it has effected me deeply, to the point that it depresses me. The affects of long term exposure to it seems to go unnoticed by some women. I dont know if that makes them lucky, or if too much ignorance is too much ignorance...

5. Do you try to affect a change in any way? If yes, then how?
I learn as much as I can about gender psychology, gender politics..., in order to have the knowledge to get the most out of the situation. It is just about pointless to try to explain to somebody when they or somebody present is being sexist. That tends to just aggrivate the situation, by causing a heap of defensive abuse to be dumped on me. This makes me apprehensive about this post I am making now, in case it causes abuse to be hurled at me. It is vile to fear speaking up for the rights of my gender.

''It's called sexism in the media... sexism goes both ways.''
If that is the case, it has not affected men financially nearly as much as it has women. Women own 1% of the worlds wealth, so advertising or no advertising, something is influencing how womens competance is viewed. Whatever it is, the media is certainly taking advantage of it, and has not morals about promoting it further.
Mel

Personality: Extrovert
Favorite book: I dont have a favourite
Favorite movie: I have many favourites
Things I like: Travel, books, movies
State of Mind or Tendency: Neutral
Kudos: 1

Previous

Return to Spirited Debate